gorges tending their crops

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
The recent hydra video made me wonder if gorges will be able to upgrade alien structures. Each time it is upgraded, the structure would work better somehow.

- This could possibly take res, or just be something that can only be done every few minutes.
- Structures that are ready to be "upgraded" could show some visual and/or auditory indicator when the gorge is nearby.
- There could be multiple levels of upgrades, each taking more res and/or time.
- Preferably, when the structure gets upgraded, there would be some visual indicator. Possibly a slightly different color, or a brighter glow, or even addition of actual visual elements.

What each structure does when upgraded is up to the developers. For example, the hydra could get one of the traditional upgrades -- like longer range, faster attack, or more deadly hits. Alternatively, they could be more creative and add additional side-effects of being attacked -- like temporary parasite (visible to other aliens), immunity to certain types of marine attacks, or even the ability to eat marines that get too close :D.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hehe yeah, add devour back in. That'll show em J/K

I approve of this idea!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    So kinda like the Engineer's turret in TF2?

Fun idea.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I hope less powerful then Engy's sentry though! I mean that thing is a beast at holding an area until a smart Demoman clears it up :P
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Upgrading sentries was the primary reason I played Engineers in TFC.

Great Idea!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The thing about this is it changes the dynamic of the turrets. If they're upgradeable you have to balance them so they're not too ridiculous fully upgraded, which means they'll probably be quite weak unupgraded. That makes it less plausible for Gorges to throw up a Hydra in a combat situation or on very short notice, and relegates them to setting up defenses in advance. Personally I'd rather they be more of a combat unit than they were in NS now that we have an alien commander, so the Hydras should be at full strength right away IMO.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    you really wouldn't want to get owned every time you pass a upgraded turret or hydra imho.

So maybe the upgrades shouldn't include more damage and side effects like devour or web, things that leave you helpless to a turret seems weird to me.
    But you could add stuff like cloacking more hp, wider arc of fire, automatic parasiting and so on.

So I partly agree on the idea.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777458:date=Jul 8 2010, 11:59 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jul 8 2010, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing about this is it changes the dynamic of the turrets. If they're upgradeable you have to balance them so they're not too ridiculous fully upgraded, which means they'll probably be quite weak unupgraded. That makes it less plausible for Gorges to throw up a Hydra in a combat situation or on very short notice, and relegates them to setting up defenses in advance. Personally I'd rather they be more of a combat unit than they were in NS now that we have an alien commander, so the Hydras should be at full strength right away IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is very true.

So make the upgrades not overpowering and the initial hydra state not underpowering and we'll all be happy.

More HP would be great. Nothing sucks worse than having a structure killed. Not too much to make them into invincible walls, but enough to reward a gorgie's extra efforts if they want to sink more time into their chambers.

Something other than HP would also be nice. Things that increase utility but not basic combat efficiency. Like increasing range; which increases range of effect but does not necessarily increase combat efficiency (Damage per second) if marines were to assault a chamber farm and destroy it.

So I'd like slight increase of range and HP. And something else. Perhaps the Hydras could spread a tiny bit of creep, providing whichever advantages creep provides. The gorge could expend more effort to increase the range of creep.

More range of infestation, more attack range, and more HP. All in slight increments so the end result is not overpowered and the initial result is not underpowered.

And maybe they can spit out spores eventually. Perhaps something less damaging than the lerk gas or maybe the spore clouds could have tiny Area of Effect. That makes the Hydra more interesting and definitely more effective as access deniers.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    I dislike this idea, as the aliens are supposed to be the mobile race. a gorge should be able to quickly place some hydras and leave them be, and be assured that these hydras slow or even stop marine movement. if he has to invest time and resources to make them useful it defeats the whole purpose of a combat dropper or a strong, but prizely defense. why bother upgrading a frigging statîonary hydra if you can spend the res on evolving, or giving it to another player to help him evolve to a fade, who is trice as useful than a attack chamber?
    in order to make it upgradable we have to nerf it, and the precedure to upgrade every frigging hydra to make it remotely useful <i>will</i> become boring routine.
    edited July 2010
    How about not an upgrade to make it stronger or more durable, but an upgrade to make it spread the creep and perhaps upgrade that ability to increase the speed it spreads this creep. Heck more Hydra's near each other to speed up that process... While more creep around it, also makes it more durable or faster as a side effect?

Creep rules!
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778450:date=Jul 14 2010, 11:04 AM:name=manmaoyy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (manmaoyy @ Jul 14 2010, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hehe yeah, add devour back in. That'll show em J/K

I approve of this idea!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

links..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lul. Bots just get more and more inconspicuous.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    edited July 2010
    its sad really. they program bots especially for this forum now.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Actually, I think it just copies another forum post in the thread.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778780:date=Jul 14 2010, 06:35 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 14 2010, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, I think it just copies another forum post in the thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    THAT EVUL BOT COPIED ME!!!

and <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109904&view=findpost&p=1776391" target="_blank">yourbonesakin</a>
    and <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109953&view=findpost&p=1777314" target="_blank">spellman23</a>

<i>Now where did I put that shirtgun!</i>
  • DestrockDestrock Join Date: 2005-01-14 Member: 35500Members
    nice idea. the engeener in TFC was my favourite class (it sux so much in TF2... i stopped playing that stupid unbalanced game after 1 hour...)

in ns1 the offensive tower from alien wasnt able to kill a marine running except if that marine were trying to destroy the tower. SO if a gorg is stupid enough to use the TEAM res for upgrading a single tower, then the tower should be powerful (depending on how much res that would cost of course).

when i play alien im almost always a gorgy. the way i play is by capturing 2 rt and protecting them with 3 or 4 tower crossfiring marine from a single way only. (so if a marine come from the back he destroy everything easy but if not im 1 shoting him hehehe). when im done i go make a hive and i go completely block a side near the marine start with 10 tower 5 dc and 1 mc. so i dont know if that would be that good to upgrade a lot of tower... upgrading should be to make a tower very powerfull if not its a complete waste of res.

something good would be able to MOVE a tower for 5 or 10 extra res and be able to eat it and receive half the res that costed to make it because we have a maximum number of tower allowed in an area.
  • MoodyMoody Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72528Members
    Maybe make it so that you can upgrade a hydra with certain abilities (longer traveling spikes, more spikes, ect.), but only allow one upgrade per hydra. So there would be a tactical decision in it.
  • DestrockDestrock Join Date: 2005-01-14 Member: 35500Members
    or maybe a completely new alien turret.

a turret upgrading all turret around. maybe + 20 % attack speed on all turret or damage but that one would cost maybe.... mmhhhh 30 or 40 res ? (like the upgrade on the USA race on command and conquer general. + 10 % armor or + 20 % range or + 10 % damage if i memory good)
  • RatheartRatheart Join Date: 2010-05-05 Member: 71624Members
    An alien turret that is very basic/plain unless the gorge jumps in :D.

Once the gorge jumps it the turret feeds of his energy/blood/vomit? and the gorge can control the turret for better base defense.

I know it would make me go gorge ;D
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    The aliens are not a camping race. The Gorge now fills the role of a combat support, not as much a builder.

This upgrade thing is needless.
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1782486:date=Jul 24 2010, 01:24 PM:name=Cheezy104)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cheezy104 @ Jul 24 2010, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1782486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This upgrade thing is needless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Many things in the game are needless. Many things in life are needless, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Would be cool if gorges could control the chambers and make them root up and walk.

Just imagine a small army of OCs marching to the Marine base ^^
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    If the ranged alien sentry were to be upgraded,
    what they could do is add more tentacles with a slight "glow" or "particle-mist" effect around the head of it