Skulk "latch on" ability

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
I'd like to see the special ability of a skulk (and/or lerk) to be able to latch on to a marine. This would basically look like the skulk has somehow grabbed onto the marine, and would exhibit a ragdoll effect on the skulk, as the marine moves and jumps around trying to remove it.

The latching effect would last as long as adrenaline allows. Adrenaline would go down faster if the marine spins and jumps around. Damage to the marine would be somewhat less than a normal skulk attack, but the skulk (presuming its in the side or back) would take much less damage than normal since the marine could not easily hit it.

When the skulk unlatches (either on purpose, by running out of adrenaline, or by dying), any centrifugal force it has (from the marine spinning/jumping around due to the ragdoll effect), would cause the skulk to fling away from the marine in that direction.

This ability could be balanced by:
1) Adjusting the amount of damage done by the skulk
2) Adjusting the adrenaline drain effect of the marine moving around
3) Limiting how often or when a skulk could latch on to a marine
- Perhaps based on number of hives, health, or specific upgrades

Comments

• TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    you're not skulking right if you and your buddy skulks need to latch on to a marine to bring him down. time better spent biting imo.
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    This option would suit FF servers the best, marines killing their own when trying to help.
    Well i can see an advantage if you play tagteam with teammates, you tag marine panics they/him/her bag the rine.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited October 2010
    How about when the skulk "latches-on" that we enter one of those push-button cinematic sequences, where depending on who can press random keys on the keyboard first will determine if the marine gets the chance to stick a knife in your eye, or just plain shoot you with his pistol. xD

I see you state this attack would do low damage, but I don't think it would be fair if the alien could do any damage. Where it's better as a teamwork technique that requires a swarm of additional aliens to attack, while the latched on skulk is just making it hard for the marine to move.
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    LOLOL
    I could see how this would make the game more fun by
    adding a bit of humor for some players such as myself
    lolol
    I can imagine one latching onto me
    OMG GET IT OFF!!!!
    GET IT OFF!!!!!
    Jumping around moving mouse wildly everywhere on mouse pad
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800686:date=Oct 3 2010, 11:21 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Oct 3 2010, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where it's better as a teamwork technique that requires a swarm of additional aliens to attack, while the latched on skulk is just making it hard for the marine to move.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Neat idea. So there would be very minor damage by the latched-on alien, but it slows down the marine's attack or movement, thereby letting other aliens more easily attack.