might spend $10 for original ns

2»

Comments

• EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    Really not a complicated sentence.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    OK, so i'm a lousy gamer, but I was shocked at just how BIG and immersive the original Half-Life was - it took me several months to get to the end !

It really does stand out as an absolute classic as a one-player game, and in terms of time spent playing, it's a close call between Elite, Half-Life, and Natural Selection for me - but I suspect NS has the edge, followed by Elite.

Of the time I spent on Half Life, many of the hours (months / years) could be attributed to mods like DoD, TFC, and CS.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1799436:date=Sep 22 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Sep 22 2010, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really not a complicated sentence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its lack of complexity (intelligence and coherence) was the problem.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Several months?? two or three weeks at most :D

First time I buyed Half-Life I payed 75€, so 10$ is
    verry cheap for a game and all it's mods.
    My car costs me almost 10$ just to go to the market...
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1799611:date=Sep 23 2010, 05:05 PM:name=mayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mayer @ Sep 23 2010, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Several months?? two or three weeks at most :D

First time I buyed Half-Life I payed 75€, so 10$ is
    verry cheap for a game and all it's mods.
    My car costs me almost 10$ just to go to the market...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sucks to pay European gas prices.

i can ride 100 miles on $5 US worth of gas in Massachusetts (motorcycle)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1799423:date=Sep 22 2010, 08:36 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Sep 22 2010, 08:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I loved CS 1.6 and DoD, but the source versions just weren't as fun. I thought DoD:Source was a marked downgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

was 1.6 when they put in shields? that's the cs i loved. then they took my shield away. cs was modded pretty well too, i enjoyed the warcraft servers where you would power up in levels based on what class you were.

side note: how do you keep pissing people off hari?
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2010
    what?? 150km's with 5$?? Today I paid 1,4€/L
    but, it's a pleasure to leave some bmw's behind :p
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1799603:date=Sep 23 2010, 06:59 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Sep 23 2010, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its lack of complexity (intelligence and coherence) was the problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ###### troll.

if you could read properly, you'd be fine.
    edited September 2010
    Actually, if you could type and string a sentence together properly, we'd both be fine.

Tig: Yeah that was 1.6. 1.5 was good too, I know a lot of people preferred 1.5 over 1.6 though, for some reason. CS:S GunGame (DM or not) was pretty fun and fairly mindless. I quite liked GunGame, and the Zombie mod. I own most Valve games but I don't have any installed anymore.
    Re. side note: It's a Gift. I don't try, it just comes naturally... to them. People just seem to want to feel offended when I speak my mind.
    edited September 2010
    it's not a gift, a shrink can help you with the right medication :D

seroquel can help you, knock off in 15 minutes, it will be a gift to us...

rofl - sorry dude ;)

[edit]

beer & forums, mmm.... :p
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1799423:date=Sep 22 2010, 07:36 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Sep 22 2010, 07:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I loved CS 1.6 and DoD, but the source versions just weren't as fun. I thought DoD:Source was a marked downgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

imo dod gameplay works great with the source engine. however putting the slightly faster paced cs to source was rubbish, the engine feels "slowish" and wierd, compared to great engines like quake or painkiller - that's why tf2 also fails on ctf mode (or maybe it's the movement speed i dunno) - still it's a very stable and well developed engine
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1799725:date=Sep 25 2010, 05:23 AM:name=mayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mayer @ Sep 25 2010, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's not a gift, a shrink can help you with the right medication :D

seroquel can help you, knock off in 15 minutes, it will be a gift to us...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've tried medication to suppress it and become like the rest of you, but it turns out that nothing can put a stop to my sheer natural brilliance. The world is just going to have to put up with my pure awesome, and damn the envy. But I'm certain you and others will learn to live with yourselves, mayer, and maybe become just a little bit as awesome as me. I still have faith in humanity.

blackpiranha: I generally didn't like any of the gameplay changes in DoD:S, and it felt a lot slower as well.
    I was just joking buddy :)
    you're fun, i like you, always an opposite reaction :)
    Thanks man. I think you're the first person who understands me. I might just tear up... *sniff*.
    When I take over the world, I probably won't kill you, or if I have to I'll leave you for last, but maybe if you live I'll even give you second pick of the women to add to your own harem. All depending on your continued service, of course.
  • Antonio Gramscix420Antonio Gramscix420 Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72554Members
    Hello, OP. Here is a charity that could use that $10 more than valve <a href="http://www.oxfam.org/" target="_blank">http://www.oxfam.org/</a>. Cheers!
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    If you can find a good active server,
    it will be well worth the 10 US dollars :)
    I suggest being the marines if you're new so you can at least get some kills.
    You can observe the aliens & what they are able to do while being a marine,
    from this you can learn them well & get a feel for their game style.
    Then you should choose aliens :)
    or you can go, "screw the marines, they're just another FPS. I want to be an awesome skulk and crawl on walls and PWN the marines until i get enough for the best Fade combo :)
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Let us praise Harimau. Oh Harimau ...

Oooh you are so big ...
    So absolutely huge.
    Gosh, we're all really impressed
    down here in Europe I can tell you.

I mean, you're so tough and strong,
    you could beat anybody up.
    You would melt their faces...

And forgive us Oh Harimau for this our
    dreadful toadying.

And barefaced flattery.
    But we are most incredibly impressed
    'cos you are so strong and well, just
    so super.

Fan-tastic !

;)
  • YragornYragorn Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71169Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798252:date=Sep 11 2010, 09:21 PM:name=Slavak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slavak @ Sep 11 2010, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bad clan servers are usually pretty full, unfortunately I get 200+ ping so my alien hitbox is bigger than the original xbox.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They may be full, but on their Classic Server, it is definitely not new player friendly. I remember when I started playing on the server last year.
    The regular players on the server will hate and yell at you if you take their favorite guns dropped by comms, don't obey to their plan (i.e. they want you to build a resource tower (aliens) or forbid you to save for onos or w/e because you're on the bottom of the list) or jump in as a commander before they do, even if you are decent at it.

It is definitely a great server to play on if you're a veteran player though with its competitive atmosphere. It is one of the only servers with a good ping in NA left in NS1.
  • AltF4AltF4 Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22587Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1803536:date=Oct 28 2010, 01:10 PM:name=Yragorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yragorn @ Oct 28 2010, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They may be full, but on their Classic Server, it is definitely not new player friendly. I remember when I started playing on the server last year.
    The regular players on the server will hate and yell at you if you take their favorite guns dropped by comms, don't obey to their plan (i.e. they want you to build a resource tower (aliens) or forbid you to save for onos or w/e because you're on the bottom of the list) or jump in as a commander before they do, even if you are decent at it.

It is definitely a great server to play on if you're a veteran player though with its competitive atmosphere. It is one of the only servers with a good ping in NA left in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you are a rookie and want to start with NS, BAD Classic server is just the right choice. You might get frustrated in the beginning, but once you figured out what spots to camp at you can get some frags and hide among the common players, foreigners hating F4 hitters (so much about "Unite the world through play" and "we love comebacks")