Jetpack + SMG = Dead Onos

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I hope it isn't like this in NS2.</div>I was just wondering if a Jetpack + SMG can easily kill an Onos?

It is annoying dying to somebody that just flies around and constantly sprays at you.

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792683:date=Aug 7 2010, 01:34 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 7 2010, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, Lerks, then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see but I am trying to say this from a 1 v 1 point of view.
    An Onos is supposed to die to about 3 marines not 1. There is nothing to really counter them when they are flying, only shooting them with the lerk.
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    Reinstate paralyze.
    Shrug. It's RPS. Maybe the onos should be less of a rambo, and have lerks supporting him. Or the onos could simply take that risk, knowing full well the consequences of losing that gamble.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    at the point aliens have an onos, they should have somebody to support it.

thats like saying that in SC2 it's lame that a collossus has no chance against flying units.
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    as far as I know, the onos in NS2 got some pewpew resistant shields on it's head so If you just keep looking at the marine whos shooting at you, you should be able to rape him pretty easily :P
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    The onos at the time i stopped playing NS1 was limited (v2.0), it still very much is in (3.2).
    Its all how you use it and when and where.
    On an open map with lots of air space it needs to grow wings or get airlifted by 5 lerks to be badass :) *chuckles*
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    edited August 2010
    You cannot be serious?

JPs are supposed to be a strong counter to Onos, why would you change that? Onos were a good counter to heavy trains - stomp+devour. JPs were easy meat if you caught them in room or corridor with low ceilings. An onos shouldn't be on his own in a wide space trying to solo a JP. Of course you will get owned. Onos were a great way to lure a blood hungry JPer into a trap.

I used to love being lerk and attacking distracted JPers, softening them up with spores and moving in for the kill. Or parasiting as a skulk, waiting for them to move our through a doorway due to low gas and timing a good leap. Or using web and well placed OCs as a gorge, you know team work. But I guess you only played pubs.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    thats the balance of the game... if a flying unit cant take down an onos then who can?

on a side note: i really hope they consider bringing devour back :(
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1792721:date=Aug 7 2010, 12:03 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Aug 7 2010, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats the balance of the game... if a flying unit cant take down an onos then who can?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thinks he wants us to introduce a barrett. And this thread is funny btw.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    An Onos can easily escape from a single JP/LMG, and can turn around to kill him in a doorway if he tries to follow.
  • mortsmorts Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73071Members
    The emphasis in NS2 is teamwork. Unliks NS (combat especially), where one player could go onos and completely wipe the floor with the marine team, NS2 requires balanced groups of players working together to win. So the Onos would be the centrepiece of the assault while the smaller lifeforms used the distraction to eat everyone's kneecaps and take out rogue JPers.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792738:date=Aug 7 2010, 02:32 PM:name=morts)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (morts @ Aug 7 2010, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The emphasis in NS2 is teamwork. Unliks NS (combat especially), where one player could go onos and completely wipe the floor with the marine team, NS2 requires balanced groups of players working together to win. So the Onos would be the centrepiece of the assault while the smaller lifeforms used the distraction to eat everyone's kneecaps and take out rogue JPers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    An onos can't own an entire marine team in NS1...

Maybe you've only played on xmenu/etc servers. Try typing /xmenu into your console.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1792721:date=Aug 7 2010, 12:03 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Aug 7 2010, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->t
    on a side note: i really hope they consider bringing devour back :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Me. Too.

Was seriously sadface when I heard them say that.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792773:date=Aug 7 2010, 10:52 PM:name=BAshh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BAshh @ Aug 7 2010, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Me. Too.

Was seriously sadface when I heard them say that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope they don't. I don't like getting NOM NOM NOM by a fatty... :(
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1792764:date=Aug 7 2010, 03:16 PM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stardog @ Aug 7 2010, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An onos can't own an entire marine team in NS1...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL.

Also, I've never had too much of a problem as an Onos with JPers in the stock NS1 maps. There were very little large open areas that made JPs effective enough unless I did something stupid. Jump + Devour or just wait for them to do something stupid. If you plan on countering an 3+ JPers as an Onos, plan on dying.

It is the custom maps that really make life as an Onos miserable. It is then that you have to learn how to use Charge.
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    Devour was great against jet-packing marines in smaller spaces.

Also, why the hell aren't webs going to be in NS2? They were fantastic, especially for combat-only. Was great having Gorges trap marines and set up some sort of last ditch defense in an area already populated with marines. Of course, it was particularly useful against jetpackets (and balanced by the welder/GL).
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Considering the Onos will cost 30 resources maximum, less worrying must be done about how its balanced.

Let's wait for both the NS2 Onos and Jetpack before judging things.

Also, NS2 is not NS1. People have a chance of correctly applying NS1 rules to skulks and marines. With higher tech, there is very little chance. It could be vastly different (and it already is!).
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1792721:date=Aug 7 2010, 11:03 AM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Aug 7 2010, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats the balance of the game... if a flying unit cant take down an onos then who can?

on a side note: i really hope they consider bringing devour back :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wasn't aware they planned on removing devour, this makes me sadface.
    Well, it makes me happyface. I was mostly only a marine or skulk player.
    edited August 2010
    Marine = skulk

Marine /w welder = gorge

Marine /w JP = lerk

Marine /w heavy != (fade || onos).

Maybe a Marine /w JP + Shotgun = fade, but a heavy with any weapon is still onos food.

EDIT: i just want to point out that the shotgun is a close quarter weapon that makes it VERY similar to the effective range of the fade attacks... so that means the shotgun is practically a melee weapon (in the sense that the fades speed make it just as effective as a marine with a shotgun).

So the game is so similiar between the aliens and marines (almost identical units and goals), that the fact the marines do not possess a tank makes the presence of the onos an unbalancing factor to the game. That's probably why devour was ###### canned.
  • hookuyhookuy Join Date: 2008-07-18 Member: 64660Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793132:date=Aug 9 2010, 12:07 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Aug 9 2010, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marine = skulk

Marine /w welder = gorge

Marine /w JP = lerk

Marine /w heavy != (fade || onos).

Maybe a Marine /w JP + Shotgun = fade, but a heavy with any weapon is still onos food.

So the game is so similiar between the aliens and marines (almost identical units and goals), that the fact the marines do not possess a tank makes the presence of the onos an unbalancing factor to the game. That's probably why devour was ###### canned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fades and Onos are really hard to kill, but that makes the game great, you need to work as a team to take them out.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    These equations are all wrong because you don't take into account upgrades!

And there needs to be class diversity. You can have a team of marines+welders. You can't have a team of gorges. A fade and a lerk work well together, moreso than two fades. Shtoguns are great at taking down buildings, but HMGs are usually better against player units. (In NS1 standards at least)

There isn't really a way to make a linear scale on which you can place all units and classes. That's what makes the game so interesting. It's not a pistol -> smg -> rifle evolution game.

I think this should be a good time to remind you once again that siege maps are not part of UWE's vision of the game, but you don't seem to want to understand that.
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793156:date=Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->These equations are all wrong because you don't take into account upgrades!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Upgrades... here's level 3 damage. Now go kill all those fades and onoses with a lmg.

Armor 3... now it takes 2 mouse clicks for the fade to tear you in half as opposed to the 1 click at level 1 armor.

<!--quoteo(post=1793156:date=Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And there needs to be class diversity. You can have a team of marines+welders. <u>You can't have a team of gorges</u>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's called a gorge rush.

<!--quoteo(post=1793156:date=Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A fade and a lerk work well together, <u>moreso than two fades</u>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You haven't played with the fades i have. 2 high-quality fades can equal gg more often then not... and i'm saying this assuming full marine and alien teams, where the majority of the aliens are doing nothing... that 2 good fades can tip the scale in their favor.

<!--quoteo(post=1793156:date=Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There isn't really a way to make a linear scale on which you can place all units and classes. That's what makes the game so interesting. It's not a pistol -> smg -> rifle evolution game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure why you say it's impossible to write on a piece of paper all units and classes. How else can you even begin to balance the game.

Btw how much more linear can it be that if you encounter onoses then you NEED jetpacks.

If you don't design ways for one team to counter the attacks of another then your game will only be enjoyable for 1 of the 2 teams in every circumstance. I think this is why the devs took out devour and webs and changed how the fades blink, and slowed down the alien team in general. Funny, all these steps to balance the game require nerfing the ###### out of the alien team.

<!--quoteo(post=1793156:date=Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Aug 9 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this should be a good time to remind you once again that siege maps are not part of UWE's vision of the game, but you don't seem to want to understand that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never mentioned siege maps.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793164:date=Aug 9 2010, 07:56 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Aug 9 2010, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Upgrades... here's level 3 damage. Now go kill all those fades and onoses with a lmg.

Armor 3... now it takes 2 mouse clicks for the fade to tear you in half as opposed to the 1 click at level 1 armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was assuming a somewhat serious game. A game where you're handed a3/w3 is not a somewhat serious game.

Gorge rushes aren't anywhere near viable. And, contrarily to a team of 5 marines+welders (strictly superior to a team of 5 marines), a team of 5 gorges is inferior to a mix of gorges and skulks.

Obviously two fades work really well (and yes, I have seen my fair share of amazing fades), but they don't have the synergy that a lerk can bring to the board (with gas harassment). What I meant to say is that the second fade is probably not worth the extra res compared to a lerk. Lerks are a very essential unit, at least as soon as teamwork is needed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure why you say it's impossible to write on a piece of paper all units and classes. How else can you even begin to balance the game.

Btw how much more linear can it be that if you encounter onoses then you NEED jetpacks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did I say it's impossible to write them on a piece of paper? I've said it's impossible to queue marine units in such a way where each successive element is strictly superior to its predecessor.
    That's totally different from action/reaction. That is my point exactly, it's a paper-rock-scissors model. Lerks are a bad choice against HAs. HAs are a bad choice against Onos. Onos are a bad choice against Jetpacks. NS1 Onoses are not at the top of the food chain.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    the onos can just crouch, and take 0 damage until the jetpacker gets bored and makes a mistake. also i'm sure that the pwnos will have very fast health regen, so you'd be able to run away, then crouch and regen many times over so that you can escape easily.

also it true that it is rts/fps so that technically if you're team does not support the onos then GG. (fades and lerks will own jetpackers, and so will skulks to some extent)

and if the entire team is onos then its gg anyway.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    newb: redemption.
    troll: ###### off
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    All the different evolutions & weapons help support the other players in some way
    you can't do a 1v1 comparison in a war
    there are always positives and negatives.

Real life scenario:
    M1A1 tank, has large amount of fire power & bullet invulnerability, but very vulnerable to RPG fire.
    Soldiers do not carry as much fire power as a tank, are vulnerable to bullets, but are great for covering the tank against RPG fire.
    This here is a symbiotic relationship where they both have to take care of each other to survive.

Where ever there is a tank in hostile territory,
    there will always be marines or soldiers to protect this hundred million dollar war machine.
    The cost of the tank is much more than the cost of a soldier,
    so you can bet your life the government will protect it.

My only problem with the jet pack is that with the machinegun,
    is it a pain in the ARSE to kill them especially,
    if there's 3 or more of them in a room;
    you might as well give up on that room & call that gg because you're not going to take them down on your own.
    (we're assuming they're good & work together obviously)
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801905:date=Oct 18 2010, 03:59 AM:name=social3ngin33rin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (social3ngin33rin @ Oct 18 2010, 03:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My only problem with the jet pack is that with the machinegun,
    is it a pain in the ARSE to kill them especially,
    if there's 3 or more of them in a room;
    you might as well give up on that room & call that gg because you're not going to take them down on your own.
    (we're assuming they're good & work together obviously)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lots of fans to chop them up!!!! I'll get right on that!!!!!!!!!

Really though, If the jetpack flight is as bad as the lerks current flight then you will have no worries, they will simply glide right to you. think of it as disguising yourself as a giant bug light.
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    edited October 2010
    I think this thread is highlighting a very serious problem that NS2 will face unless the developers address it. Webs and devour were excellent and balanced counters in NS1 to jetpackers (Devour was difficult to pull off, Webs were more defensive traps), but even then jetpackers were still more difficult to deal with than the other marine types. But they're no longer in the game. So how exactly are we supposed to counter a group of them? Have EVERYONE focus on a handful of guys zooming around the room and causing havoc? Everyone Xeno in a desperate bid to get rid of them?

So because the "zomg I HATE paralyse attacks!!!" crowd have got their way, it looks like jetpacks will be overpowered. There's nothing to stop a good jetpacker from zooming all over the place - and by good, I mean one who knows how to conserve and maintain his/her fuel level. If you have a group of them armed with HMG's/Flamethrowers/Nade Launchers, I'm not sure what we're going to be able to do given the current listed abilities. No paralysis, no slow-down, nothing - just melee or hydra and hope the heavily armed, hard-to-hit jetpackers don't kill the entire team too quickly.

On the note of critics of the paralyse attacks, including some of the developers seemingly, I guess you all hate L4D too huh, what with Hunters, Tanks, Smokers, Chargers, Jockeys all with these much hated paralyse abilities - yeah, what a horrible, unpopular game that is (sarcasm in case anyone missed it).