Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Whip

Comments

• JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801731:date=Oct 16 2010, 03:31 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Oct 16 2010, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do see your point with a potential for a "hall of lame." However, just remember the alien team wouldn't be able to have many high life forms if they blow all their res on a hall of lame. Besides, you kill a hall of lame easily the same way you kill a wall of lame. Nadespam. From around a corner if necessary.
    On top of all that, like someone said, we're not even in a stage to think about final balance yet. Not even all the player classes have been implemented yet. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Plus FIAHZ!
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I reckon bloodthirst should make the skulk's health tick down slowly, and make the skulk emit a continuous low growl, as a tradeoff against greatly increased speed, melee damage and health restored upon damage dealt.

--Scythe--
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    Bloodthirst shouldnt take away a skulks armor, BUT it should effect adrenaline levels. kind of like fight or flight? increases damage but decreases the amount of adren you have avail?
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801706:date=Oct 15 2010, 10:53 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Oct 15 2010, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about a tribute to Devo and have the name of the whip attack called <i>Crack that Whip</i> on the commander's UI?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

rofl +1
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about a multiple leap attack? So if you leap and hit one marine, you automatically leap between all marines within range taking big damage from groups.

Would be cool if you invaded base and leaped, then flew between 7 marines taking damage off each xD
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Bloodthirst...

lots of good ideas on execution
    I am biggest fan of either lifesteal or health-by-bite
    mostly because they seem to apply to the name.

However I am thinking of visual effect of bloodthirst.
    When the alien bites have a plume of blood go spraying.
    This way even newbs will have that "Oh sh*t this is bad...lets run" reaction.
    A smarter newb will say "That thing screamed, they all squealed with joy, and a plume of blood came gushing out of my buddies arm".
    Plus it will make even the most defensive alien player more participant.

IMO all these triggered abilities should have a visual cue to the opposing force that something is amiss.

so to summarize...
    bloodthirst...make it bloody...please :-)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2010
    Bloodthirst should allow skulks to cannibalize fallen frontiersmen to regenerate life. It's balanced because it leaves the skulk out in the open while they're feeding.
  • katzenkorbanfasserkatzenkorbanfasser Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73224Members
    I don't know; somehow the model doesn't reach the concept. Cory is just too good at drawing surfaces.

How will it 'reload' it's Goo attack? I hope the ball doesn't just appear from...omg.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    aka

Zerg spine crawler with badassness sauce.
  • DarkhandDarkhand Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3012Members
    I know the model is done but instead of a gooball can I suggest some sort of glowing mucus? I think it would be much easier to believe that this thing whips/flings a slimy mucus off of itself rather than a regenerating ball.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801636:date=Oct 15 2010, 03:44 PM:name=PhiXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhiXX @ Oct 15 2010, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes this is also what I thought about bloodthirst, increased dmg and movement speed, maybe even more increased when getting a kill. Bloodthirst should encourage the rampaging Skulk :)

The Whip looked much nicer in the concept art, the gooball looks like it's almost falling down IMO, also I'd have thought the immature Whip's arm would be much more rolled up. The base looks very nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you kidding? Your going to give something that much of a boost without even a slight negative effect like 25% less damage?
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Just wanted to say how NS2 is going to be so awesome. love it guys.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was thinking Bloodthurst could be like like that one upgrade in co_ maps. You know, where you kill a marine and your health raises a bit and you become a bit stronger and faster. I think it's called Hunger or something...
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    When moving on infestation it should move a bit faster than when it is off. This could create some cool things and encourage it to be used to hold areas that are infested rather than ruining into new territory.

Basically: faster on infestation and slow on everything else.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801739:date=Oct 16 2010, 01:15 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Oct 16 2010, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bloodthirst should allow skulks to cannibalize fallen frontiersmen to regenerate life. It's balanced because it leaves the skulk out in the open while they're feeding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Think I've seen the devs mention somewhere that that will be enabled by default for skulks to be able to much on dead bodies. Will probably not be a lot of life gained but enough to make it worthwhile. And you can't really call it cannibalize either, not same species :D
  • BetaSwordBetaSword Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36256Members
    Would be nice, if a nearby explosion (Grenade/Missle, etc) would cause a moving Whip to fall, leaving it vulnerable till it stands up again.
  • LOLdocLOLdoc Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73077Members
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1801731:date=Oct 16 2010, 08:31 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Oct 16 2010, 08:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do see your point with a potential for a "hall of lame." However, just remember the alien team wouldn't be able to have many high life forms if they blow all their res on a hall of lame. Besides, you kill a hall of lame easily the same way you kill a wall of lame. Nadespam. From around a corner if necessary.
    On top of all that, like someone said, we're not even in a stage to think about final balance yet. Not even all the player classes have been implemented yet. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not that I disagree on any particular point. I'm just worried with the amount of content they continue to "reveal" is just beginning to sound too grandiose for its own good. Not that I don't have faith in UW, its just that with each of these updates they announce I wonder just how long it will be before they bite off more than they can chew. I'm also worried that all these ingredients they're adding to the stew might make it overly complicated and slightly bogged down. I guess we'll just have to wait and see for the final product... or at least a product in which some of these reveals are finally implemented. As exciting as these reveals are, NS2 is starting to look less and less like a realistic property and more like a vaporware pipe dream. The faith is still there... probably. I'm just a pessimist.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I've played the alpha which had some of the content in and besides the lag issues basically everything works well. How can you say it's a vaporware pipe dream when lots of us have had fun playing it already? They're working on the netowrking issues and addding content which was already planned for the game. Last time they released content some were rudely complaining that they didn't want to play until the game was running at 100fps etc....now they are holding back with releases to get it all working well people start to complain they are bored of waiting and the game is never going to be finished. Come on, give these guys a break!
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801779:date=Oct 17 2010, 02:20 AM:name=Cruor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cruor @ Oct 17 2010, 02:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Think I've seen the devs mention somewhere that that will be enabled by default for skulks to be able to much on dead bodies. Will probably not be a lot of life gained but enough to make it worthwhile. And you can't really call it cannibalize either, not same species :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think he just remembered Warcraft 3. The Ghouls in the Undead Team are capable to "cannibalize" corpses to gain health.
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1801671:date=Oct 16 2010, 12:51 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 16 2010, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Whip has been rigged and animated, and it is coiled up more like in the concept, and is wrapped around the ball holding it securely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#4B0082--><span style="color:#4B0082"><!--/coloro-->-PERFECT-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> I'm really looking forward to see it in action.
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1801809:date=Oct 17 2010, 03:02 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Oct 17 2010, 03:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've played the alpha which had some of the content in and besides the lag issues basically everything works well. How can you say it's a vaporware pipe dream when lots of us have had fun playing it already? They're working on the netowrking issues and addding content which was already planned for the game. Last time they released content some were rudely complaining that they didn't want to play until the game was running at 100fps etc....now they are holding back with releases to get it all working well people start to complain they are bored of waiting and the game is never going to be finished. Come on, give these guys a break!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's no use arguing with internet whiteknights. No one is asking for a perfect product tomorrow, but updates in a more timely manner would be nice. It's great to roll out with content announcements, but when the state of the alpha hasn't changed in over 2 months, (remembering their original goal was to release 2 updates a month) said "reveals" are taken with a grain of salt.

I'm sure the vast majority of patrons aren't waiting for a game that runs flawlessly before they play it again, just one in which works moderately well. I've also played the alpha, and sure I'm impressed with a lot of the features that work. I'm especially impressed with the pathing of the drifters/droids but its the little things that don't work that really bog the game down... like lag/hitboxes.
  • NamronNamron Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10220Members
    Nice update.

An idea for bloodthirst: When used, the Skulk is given a boost to its damage for a short time. Before that kicks in, the Skulk is made immobile and vulnerable for a few seconds while it's scratching the floor with its claws, shaking its head and screeching. A bloodthirst-Skulk could be drooling so the Marines can identify it.
  • Phifth_ElementPhifth_Element Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8233Members
    Bloodthirst - after a kill, any skulks in the area get a damage boost proportionate to how close they were to the marine when he was killed. Like they got the scent. This would make the skill really powerful if a bunch of skulks moved as a wolf pack. One with bloodthirst would make the kill and the others would get the boost, too. But it would only last for a short time so the marines would only get slaughtered if there were a small squad of them.
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    Idea for blood thirst : When activated the skulk takes dmg to hp for atlease a set time limit. Effects are a small speed boost and parasited marines with no armor show up a dark red (and a red aura). Attacks to marines with no armor adds +25% dmg and the skulk gains 10 hp for each attack (or 2 sec invincibilty after a successful kill). Damage boost doesnt affect marines with armor. Also when in effect skulk makes a low growling noise, or something that should alert weakend marines to not be up front. Also to make sure it's only used against weakened marines it should serverly reduce damage to marines with remaining armor.

Just an idea.
  • n-s-a-c-cn-s-a-c-c Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68729Members
    forgot why i bought this game
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    How about for bloodthirst, the lower your health is your speed and your attack is increased and your vision gets bloodshot to the point were you can barely see because your screen is so red (1hp). Gives a very frantic feel.

Great job on the whip! Just wait till somebody draws a Whip whipping a female marine...
  • maggio.nlmaggio.nl Join Date: 2009-02-14 Member: 66403Members
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGvUquseUM&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGvUquseUM...feature=related</a>

a little to much sc2 for my taste.
    Dont get me wrong i like sc2 but its this is ns2 not starcraft. Altough it kinda feels like it....

A spinecrawler like structure and people want skulks to get ling speed when they get kills near it ? .....

le sigh i want ns feel! even moving these things are a zerg commander.... Whats next a supremal being called the overhive ? -_-

I havent left much bad comments before this one but this seems too blizzard.
    edited October 2010
    Feels to me like NS has always borrowed some of its concepts from Blizzard RTS. For instance, the onos' devour and primal scream abilities were remarkably similar to the Kodo beast's devour and war drum's ability from WC3 (which had just been released). I'm not saying that UWE definitely got the idea from WC3, but its not unheard of for game developers borrowing concepts from other developers, and for an RTS there's really no better source material from which to borrow concepts. There's nothing wrong with borrowing concepts from other games, especially when they're implemented in a different way, like... in an fps perhaps.

So what if the whip is slightly similar to the spine crawler? How often do you get to see a spine crawler moving around from the first person perspective? Would the fact that a similar concept exists in another game really ruin the experience for you so much that you wouldn't be able to enjoy the game? And if so... why?
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We saw unupgraded Skulks in NS1 too - when they didn't have time to gestate. I think upgrades should be all positive, only having a drawback if they would be crazy otherwise(i.e. Focus). Otherwise it's not much of an upgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, all the marines finally arrived at a whopping lvl 3 weapons and armor upgrade at no cost and without any disadvantages; right off the bat, sry, spawn, they didn't even need to put the time in to gestate...
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2010
    How does it replenish its supplies of goo balls? It also looks too stiff to look like it has any range or flexibility to strike someone like a whip. Maybe it would be more fitting if it lay down on the floor, coiled around randomly like a heavy cable when not in attack position.

But it looks pretty good, it fits well into the overall Kharaa designs.