3D Support

LittleLeezardLittleLeezard Join Date: 2010-10-15 Member: 74460Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Tech question</div>Does the engine being used support 3D (eg Nvidea sterioscoptic), and would such a thing even be considered being implimented (or if the engine does support it already, being optimized?) I know I have a rig more than capable of running such a thing, (and would find the POV for the aliens endlessly entertaining) but don't know how the tech works. I know nvidea drivers can figure out the 3d for most games today and makes them run in stereo, so this might just fall into that category of "let nvidea figure it out". I know not a whole lot of people use 3D yet, but I foresee NS to be worlds of fun with it, as i mentioned before with the POV, and topdown for commanders. Thats why NS is so great, you get the best of 1st and 3rd person game worlds. Seing the FPS marine, POV alien, and RTS commander all in one package in 3d would be downright fantastic.

I feel its a longshot as the demand might not be there. Just optimistic. I'm quite satisfied with plain ol' flatscreen HD =P

Comments

• TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Considering less than 1% of all ppl use NV 3D due to the very high costs for a new 120hz monitor, a new gfx card (3D cuts down fps in half) and the damn expensive Nvidia 3D glasses -
    Its a waste of time implementing this.

Maybe sometime after the 2.0 release or something...
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Enable 3d vision please :)

Nice feature to have.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Given that it's being made at a time when 3d is becoming feasible, I would imagine the devs would try to avoid making the engine completely incompatible with it.

But at the same time, it's probably not a release priority.

Seems like the thing that might be added post-release though, if the drivers can't already handle it.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Nooo! It would give an unfair advantage!
    /sarcasm
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    I don't understand this 3D hype ...
  • SamWSamW Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2515Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801729:date=Oct 16 2010, 06:50 AM:name=TheLord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheLord @ Oct 16 2010, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering less than 1% of all ppl use NV 3D due to the very high costs for a new 120hz monitor, a new gfx card (3D cuts down fps in half) and the damn expensive Nvidia 3D glasses -
    Its a waste of time implementing this.

Maybe sometime after the 2.0 release or something...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Doesn't making the game work with 3D simply involve making sure everything you render is not independent of your view point?

Such as ensuring HUD elements exist in 3D space instead of rendering directly to the frame buffer, in fact if you avoid rendering static stuff into the frame buffer, you don't really need to do anything else to make thinks like Nvidia's 3D vision technology work well.

So, you don't really implement 3D vision, you simply follow a set of best practice to make sure 3D rendering doesn't look fubar. Just avoid putting things at infinite depth.

It would be a waste of time to not follow these practices then realize you wan't to fix it and re-do things later.
  • SnoopieSnoopie Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70600Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801764:date=Oct 16 2010, 10:41 PM:name=1mannARMEE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1mannARMEE @ Oct 16 2010, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand this 3D hype ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same.. it really isn't all that great.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    In my "pov", we should talk about it in 3 years but not now.
    Implementing 3D on NS2 could mean that the game will be released on 2015.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    3d gaming is typically not something that has to be added into a game, just proper design practices. I've had an IZ3d monitor for a few years, nv3d is actually behind in getting 3d technology out, and I've even gone through serious sam and half life in 3d. Those games weren't designed with 3d in mind, it still works. Its in the drivers for your vid card that forces a render from 2 different POVs. Only issue is the hud at times.

I agree 3d gaming isn't all its cracked up to be, though I will say crysis in 3d was gorgeous. I've since moved on over to eyefinity gaming over 3d.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    edited October 2010
    Seriously people, stop talking when you have no clue of what you're talking about.

_a 3D monitor (120hz) is 300$, and a lot of people have 120hz already, to have a better animation on screen in FPS.

_The game is DX9, so yes we have extra graphical power to add 3D. Moreover the game isn't in beta yet, and the graphics card will evolve.. it's a game whose purpose is to be played for years !!

_"unfair advantage" , no it's juste more immersion in game. Moreover this argument is irrelevant on computer games, where hardware is full part of the game.
    We already addressed this argument about "macro keyboard", "multi screen" , "expert mouse", "better graphics card" etc.
    And in fact, when 3D is enabled you divide yours FPS by two... so it's quite fair

Nividia sells a lot of 3D glasses, it's the technology of the years (even it exists since a long time), all is becoming 3D now, screen, cinema, camera, TV...
    just get in the train!

And yes, dev have something to do on NS2 for 3D. because the HUD is important in game, (its an RTS and there is a lot of informations) so...
  • LittleLeezardLittleLeezard Join Date: 2010-10-15 Member: 74460Members
    In general response to all the above (and ty for the replies btw =D ) I know its not everyone's piece of cake to play in 3d, but as was mention, it might be simple things (simple hahaha) as making models and cameras compatible with the left/right views for stereo. I dont expect it to be a release priority, but looking at the market today, 3d is growing stronger by the minute. and a year from release there might a be large fanbase who wants that level of immersion. It'd suck if all that was needed was to have a few flags set that cater to 3d that are easy(ish) to start adding now, rather than 2 years down the line when optimizing 3d would take restructuring of everything.

Again, I dont know the tech enough to know if its an easy add later, or if taking a little bit of time now would save many frustrating hours post-release.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1801764:date=Oct 17 2010, 12:41 AM:name=1mannARMEE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1mannARMEE @ Oct 17 2010, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand this 3D hype ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    me neither
    Probably the same people are thrilled by this bs who also like to fidget and dance in front of a screen. <a href="http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-14/sony-sees-strong-europe-christmas-sales-says-ps3-may-beat-its-targets.html" target="_blank">*cough*</a> <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect" target="_blank">*cough*</a>
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I couldn't care too much about 3D. Just bought a new monitor, mainly for graphics work but also for gaming.

Most monitors use TN (Twisted Nematic) panels because the response time is so fast. Downside being crap colours/contrast ratio and a rubbish viewing angle.

This new monitor I have is an E-IPS (In Plane Switching) and whilst the response time is not 'pro gaming fast' it is pretty much there, and things look smooth. I also have the advantage of higher contrast ratios, 178deg viewing angles and great colours and it is very sharp. Love it so much, and adds a lot more to the display quality.

(2209wa if you are wondering, still best price for what you get at the moment imo)

The issue is most monitors have 60Hz refresh rates, and to provide the stereo vision element you need double the refresh time. All I can see at the moment is these monitors using TN panels. I'm not sure it will make up for TNs negatives, and god knows how it is handling a response time that essentially needs to be doubled in speed to look good.

I do think 3D is great but it is not quite there yet. Active glasses are better, because you don't get ghosting effect like you do with the standard polarised lenses. I have tried them but the flicker of active glasses is evident, but maybe you would get used to it.

I'm sure 3D will take over eventually though.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801820:date=Oct 17 2010, 03:00 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Oct 17 2010, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously people, stop talking when you have no clue of what you're talking about.

_a 3D monitor (120hz) is 300$, and a lot of people have 120hz already, to have a better animation on screen in FPS.

_The game is DX9, so yes we have extra graphical power to add 3D. Moreover the game isn't in beta yet, and the graphics card will evolve.. it's a game whose purpose is to be played for years !!

_"unfair advantage" , no it's juste more immersion in game. Moreover this argument is irrelevant on computer games, where hardware is full part of the game.
    We already addressed this argument about "macro keyboard", "multi screen" , "expert mouse", "better graphics card" etc.
    And in fact, when 3D is enabled you divide yours FPS by two... so it's quite fair

Nividia sells a lot of 3D glasses, it's the technology of the years (even it exists since a long time), all is becoming 3D now, screen, cinema, camera, TV...
    just get in the train!

And yes, dev have something to do on NS2 for 3D. because the HUD is important in game, (its an RTS and there is a lot of informations) so...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, a lot of people do not have 120hz monitors. The vast majority of LCD users have 60hz screens.

The game being DX9 has nothing to do with "having extra graphical power", that just simply doesn't make any sense.

3D is still in its infancy, and that's a fact. As mentioned previously, it is just merely up to proper game design and the drivers, not specifically coding for 3D that will allow the game to work well with 3D technology when it launches. I have no doubt that Nvidia will be able to get this game working very well in stereoscopic when it releases.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    why does everyone seem to think Nvidia is the only 3d gaming solution around.. its just one of the newest.

There are 3d monitors that work with a wide range of cards. These aren't just 120hz monitors, they have dual inputs and combine 2 different images on one screen, as long as your vid card has dual output. <a href="http://www.iz3d.com/" target="_blank">http://www.iz3d.com/</a> Iz3d monitors work great, mine came with 4 different pairs of glasses.

surely half-life 2 wasn't designed specifically with 3d in mind, but behold... its one of the best games in 3d.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a 3d monitor and I must say NS2 looks really really cool in 3D, it supports it through just brute force in the NVCP. Though, the shadows look a little strange due to some rendering problem (perhaps rendering on a different plane). BUT! Guns and arms and what not look amazing!
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    no serious developer can overlook 3D today - it's a must!
    would take some extra time, yes. but imagine what a huge selling point it would bring to THIS game...

it would be listed as one among the 8 (or so) games supporting 3D here:
    <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html" target="_blank">http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html</a>
    and probably be featured on all kinds of gaming/hardware sites for this.

i believe this publicity would atleast double the customer base of UWE!
  • 1ERASER11ERASER1 Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26778Members
    edited October 2010
    3D support - YES,
    120hz support - YES,
    Custom FOV support - YES,
    3x LCD screen (res) support for eyefinity and nVidia 3d surround support - YES.

This is not 1995 where mouselook+ needs to be enabled when you start your game.

These features are the current and future of gaming. Those that are still using old 17" CRT's need to realize this.

Not to mention the fact that next year we will have 3DTV's that will not require 3d glasses to view 3D!

120Hz, and FOV should be in alpha/beta.
    3D should make it's way in to Beta / end product.

3D is not a hype it's a great way to immerse your self in a game. And NS2 would be amazing if done well in full proper 3D and not just menus and text!

PS. You're Squad 5!
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1802065:date=Oct 19 2010, 09:39 PM:name=1ERASER1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1ERASER1 @ Oct 19 2010, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1802065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*snip*
    These features are the current and future of gaming. Those that are still using old 17" CRT's need to realize this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have a 21" CRT. It runs at 2048x1536x85hz. Over a standard 15-pin D-sub to 5-BNC twistlock analog. Old does not mean bad. If I drop the resolution to 1920x1440 I can hit 120hz. At 1600x1200 it will run at 160hz. Do not assume that technology from 1997 can't beat the pants off new crap shoveled out today, on performance or if you set them on top of one another (thing weighs damn near 70 pounds).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to mention the fact that next year we will have 3DTV's that will not require 3d glasses to view 3D!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seen it in person. On small-scale things like the 3DS, it can work OK. On TVs... they still have a *long* way to go. Looks like crap in person, even if the concept is cool.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->120Hz, and FOV should be in alpha/beta.
    3D should make it's way in to Beta / end product.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    120hz is already in the game... if your monitor can support it, your video card can probably provide a 120hz signal. As is FOV.. field of view is standard. Otherwise you'd get very dizzy as the game fit a 360*360 degree view onto a 2D surface.
    3D might be supported officially, but don't expect it; the 'supports this technology' stickers other than 'plays best on' tend to have some truly RIDICULOUS requirements.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3D is not a hype it's a great way to immerse your self in a game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's currently a hype. A press conference debuting 3D tech on bigscreens, showing 3D video of the events currently going on on-stage DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE ATTENDEES purely so the MC could push his hand at the camera rig like a cheap 3D 'thrill shot' in most of the current crop of 3D movies (anything getting thrown directly at the screen, paddleballs into the camera, spears pointed at the camera) are just cheesy 'Oh WOW IT'S 3D OMGETFZ0RZ!!11!' attempts, that have already grown very old to most with an IQ in the triple digits.
    Once it becomes mainstream (and yes, gaming is one of the vectors for this) and settles down into being a useful tool to enhance cinematography and mood, and gains the same subtlety COLOR has at this point (look at the early technicolor flicks, the colors were WAY ramped up just to go SEE, COLOR!!!11!!), and hopefully without the digital manipulation travesty (see: the current <a href="http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html" target="_blank">teal-orange madness</a>). Then it might not be a hype. And no, NS is EXTREMELY unlikely to revolutionize 3D cinematography on its own.
  • CrystalSnakeCrystalSnake Join Date: 2002-01-27 Member: 110Members
    Do particle systems look good in stereoscopic 3D?
    <!--quoteo(post=1802098:date=Oct 20 2010, 11:08 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Oct 20 2010, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1802098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And no, NS is EXTREMELY unlikely to revolutionize 3D cinematography on its own.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

3D in NS2. A skulk flying at you right in your face. The perception of space around you in not 3d on a 2d surface, but maps, walls, testures will feel 3D as if you're in it. Not to mention atmospheric effects in 3D.

There is a huge difference between "a spear going though the centre of the screen in your face" and actual 3D placement of objects / people on the screen.

The 3D that is done well is the later and you would be stupid to think it's just a hype. Stop reading the media garbage that's shoveled down your throat... Open your eyes and experience it your self.

The 42" glassless 3D screen showcased in CES2010 blew me away. And if anything we can expect from computer gaming this is the future from moving away of "3D games" on a 2d screen to actual 3D screen!
    <!--quoteo(post=1802141:date=Oct 21 2010, 08:04 AM:name=CrystalSnake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrystalSnake @ Oct 21 2010, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1802141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do particle systems look good in stereoscopic 3D?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Snow / rain, falling debris, leaves, etc... feels like it's around you and you're in the game rather than starring at it "as long as you have a big screen ie 24"+". You have to experience it to see it's effects.

A lot of games out now were not designed in 3D so you will not get the awesome 3D effects. However take Avatar The Game and play it on 3D or Metro 2033. You'll know what i'm talking about.

Big different between a game developed in 2D enabled in 3D to a game developed in 3D+2D and showcased in full 3D glory!
  • LittleLeezardLittleLeezard Join Date: 2010-10-15 Member: 74460Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1801966:date=Oct 19 2010, 01:30 AM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Oct 19 2010, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a 3d monitor and I must say NS2 looks really really cool in 3D, it supports it through just brute force in the NVCP. Though, the shadows look a little strange due to some rendering problem (perhaps rendering on a different plane). BUT! Guns and arms and what not look amazing!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats kinda what I was looking for. I didnt get into the the public demo, so I've yet to test it. It seems that drivers can push it most of the way, just a few tweaks, eg to shadow as mentioned, and particles as listed above (are we still using billboard sprites?)

As to the tech availablility, its here. not the cheapest for a decent setup, but very do-able. Some of us here are already geared up. I need a better monitor, but I admit to cheaping out on that. GTx 460 SLI FTW!