Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Flamethrower

12346»

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1800781:date=Oct 4 2010, 02:29 PM:name=BAshh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BAshh @ Oct 4 2010, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man, that's the sexiest CG Fire I've seen in awhile.

Cudos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree. It might not be 100% realistic looking, but the stylized aspects of it make it feel so much more like fire than many more realistic renditions.

Kudos, indeed.
  • dutchmeatdutchmeat Join Date: 2010-05-18 Member: 71794Members
    edited October 2010
    Looks cool, but a pilot light for that time seems a bit unnecessary.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2010
    The flames look like they have been painted rather than sourced?
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    " I am the god of hellfire and I bring you ... FIRE ! "

Thanks for this update, looks quite nice.
  • NamronNamron Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10220Members
    Looks good. Not sure about the animations though. They're too fast.

As for alt-fire. Spamming fuel everywhere can't be good for gameplay, framerate, latency... How about a burst of fire? The players holds down alt-fire and the nozzle retracts slowly and widens at the end. It takes a few seconds for the pressure to build up and then a cone of fire explodes out. The explosion causes damage of course, but it also slows down aliens approaching the flame (but gives anyone moving away from or with the explosion extra speed). A good way to slow down a charging Onos.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited October 2010
    In otherwords, just like the TF2 Pyro backfire

* i mean blast back... back blast...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
  • NamronNamron Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10220Members
    edited October 2010
    I haven't played TF2 more than a couple of times, but I googled it and yeah, pretty much, but with a cone of exploding fire instead of air. :) Oh, and it won't be instant.
  • katzenkorbanfasserkatzenkorbanfasser Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73224Members
    fire reminds me of diablo 2 intro. i like it so far
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    can we close this thread? ppl keep repeating themselves and id imagine the devs have decided by now. it's a waste of... well, sight.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    probably been said 100s of times already, but the way the vModel holds that weapon... nobody would do that.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800649:date=Oct 2 2010, 06:34 PM:name=amalrik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amalrik @ Oct 2 2010, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hive s tentacule could get corpses (or even living marines ?) and eat them, adding extra ress to alien team. It could balance early rushes ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wow.. to your first post.

that would be kinda f'kin cool to see dead marines hanging from hive tentacles.

I definitely think hive should respond less franticly though, but the shrieks were amazing.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800565:date=Oct 1 2010, 08:15 PM:name=Locane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locane @ Oct 1 2010, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want to make sticky, drippy napalm patterns on the walls, ceilings and floors, or stuff a vent full of it and then light it all up!

God that would be SO effin' sweet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get ready for all the boobs and swastikas and smiley faces on the walls then!
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    Looks nice, but I can absolutely see an army of people wanting to abuse this for causing lag, destroying both structures and players with ease, and easily killing large groups of players with area of effect (AOE). The flame thrower looks like it'll be easy to aim with an AOE so the tactic here would be to hit and run letting the afterburn do the damage, or switching to the pistol or some other alternative to kill with while the afterburn does damage. The flamethrower seems nice, but I just see it as an over powered weapon. I can see myself already with a jet pack flying around setting everything on fire and going in a circle to keep the afterburn damage going so I will be able to damage everything at the same time while being able to fly. The game is mostly CQB so a flame thrower is just a massacre wating to happen, especially if the weapon causes some kind of fire effect on the screen to happen, I can see aliens all lagging & having slow frame rate trying to attack through the mouth animations.