Onos "disruption" type abilities.

NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Because I want to be able to find this discussion in the future.</div>Can we continue here from the Twitter discussion thread?

Someone could do a summary of what's being said there if you like. There's already about 3 pages in there.

Comments

• TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1800142:date=Sep 28 2010, 12:53 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Sep 28 2010, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can we continue here from the Twitter discussion thread?

Someone could do a summary of what's being said there if you like. There's already about 3 pages in there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can try. so based off the wiki the onos gets:

gore: a thrashing move that can hit and toss multiple marines
    bone shield: you hold the duck key (similar to gorge duck and cover) and your boners on your head stand erect and you take no damage in the face
    stomp: disables marine buildings (they may add some sort of stun to marines, this is where the debate comes in)

uwe tweeted about camera shake when the onos is around, people liked it as long as it wasn't nauseating and didn't affect aim

people think the lights goin out and power grid failure would be cool when the onos stomps or roars (forum suggestion)

people are arguing over "loss of control" effects sucking vs. stat effects from a roar (blurred vision, camera shake, slowed movement, slowed reload rate)

then there are some lesser liked suggestions of fears and knockdowns

i think that's up to speed.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Or, you know, use the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111169" target="_blank">I&S Thread</a>....
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    I always thought having the onos have primal scream made sense. The only problem was that by the time you had an Onos, the game was won and you never got to use it. Hence it was more viable on the Lerk. You could have those neat FX with an onos rearing back on its hind legs and like kicking its legs in preperation for a charge with the PS type effect. This all of course presupposes that such an effect would be useful when the game has reached the onos stage. Otherwise, I'd like to think of the onos as a "Bull in a china shop" type deal. It's there to smash everything. If us players wanted to see some anti marine effects without taking away control overmuch, the Onos could do some kind of charge where it throws its head and horns around knocking players through the air. They could then be "down" like an incapacitated survivor in L4D and have the camera be "righted" as they get up. They could still fire in this position and they'd get up right away. The idea would be to just momentarily disorient them.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800145:date=Sep 28 2010, 01:03 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Sep 28 2010, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->boners on your head stand erect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just had to point that out...

but seriously, theres already a thread for this in the Ideas and Suggestions subforum
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1800171:date=Sep 28 2010, 03:57 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Sep 28 2010, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just had to point that out...

but seriously, theres already a thread for this in the Ideas and Suggestions subforum<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lil typo, my bad...
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I came up with a "crap" idea...

Sticky onos poop - risky to "use" - takes a few seconds to "drop" - and spreads like a puddle
  • peentankpeentank Join Date: 2010-09-01 Member: 73857Members
    just because a team had an onos, didnt mean it was game over, at all........
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800162:date=Sep 28 2010, 03:32 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Sep 28 2010, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or, you know, use the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111169" target="_blank">I&S Thread</a>....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My bad. I just saw all this discussion on the twitter and not seeing a topic on the front page, started my own. Didn't realize at the time that I was forgetting to check the I&S. Maybe I just saw this as a discussion. Thanks for pointing it out... *****.

Close thread continue on the other thread.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800194:date=Sep 28 2010, 06:15 PM:name=peentank)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peentank @ Sep 28 2010, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just because a team had an onos, didnt mean it was game over, at all........<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I meant in 1.04. By the time you could have an Onos the game was usually over. Occasionally tho there were some amazing come backs.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    bring back being eaten by Onos!! that was my first impression of NS1 years ago and it was that level of groundbreaking game-play that pulled people in. all these other features so far mentioned in the Wiki seem..... typical? i know that smashing through welded doors is awesome and so is the power grid. both are original.. but come on.. "humiliation" (ala Quake3 ) are a great form of player interaction thats original. you speak that "Awwww.. he ate me!" admittance but you're not ::really:: mad.. because you can watch his insides + props to him for getting ya. :)

(i know charlie said on the podcast it wont be in.. this is just my death rattle :( )
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800396:date=Sep 30 2010, 03:57 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Sep 30 2010, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bring back being eaten by Onos!! that was my first impression of NS1 years ago and it was that level of groundbreaking game-play that pulled people in. all these other features so far mentioned in the Wiki seem..... typical? i know that smashing through welded doors is awesome and so is the power grid. both are original.. but come on.. "humiliation" (ala Quake3 ) are a great form of player interaction thats original. you speak that "Awwww.. he ate me!" admittance but you're not ::really:: mad.. because you can watch his insides + props to him for getting ya. :)

(i know charlie said on the podcast it wont be in.. this is just my death rattle :( )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alright. How about as a compromise we just put a little window in the side of the onos so you can look outside like a passenger in a car?

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(devour sucks. please leave it out.)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800396:date=Sep 30 2010, 03:57 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Sep 30 2010, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bring back being eaten by Onos!! that was my first impression of NS1 years ago and it was that level of groundbreaking game-play that pulled people in. all these other features so far mentioned in the Wiki seem..... typical? i know that smashing through welded doors is awesome and so is the power grid. both are original.. but come on.. "humiliation" (ala Quake3 ) are a great form of player interaction thats original. you speak that "Awwww.. he ate me!" admittance but you're not ::really:: mad.. because you can watch his insides + props to him for getting ya. :)

(i know charlie said on the podcast it wont be in.. this is just my death rattle :( )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 for bringing back devour

it was a seriously fun game mechanic... i will always remember screamin over vent "GET ME OUTTA THIS THING!!!" then the cheers that followed after we saved a HA from being fully devoured was a classic, unforgettable gaming moment for me.

I respect the devs decision to keep it out of NS2 but please make something equally epic in return.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    edited September 2010
    In the twitter discussion and elsewhere, there was an idea mentioned for a bite-down on a marine type of attack for the onos. This would have the effect of pinning the marine and onos in place for a certain time. I think of this as something like the Jockey in L4D2. Where the Jockey creates a tug-of-war between the players, this could be similar for the onos and marine during a pinning-bite. With a vanilla marine, it could be very weighted to the advantage of the onos. With an XO heavy marine it would be more equally matched. With a JPer, it could atc more like a tether. The JPer could still get slightly airborne and maneuver in a very small area next to the onos.

The purpose of this pinning bite would be much like the devour of old. It would make picking off lone marines exceedingly easy for an onos while still making it risky to attack groups or XO/JPs. It also would make the 'devour' much more interactive and intense. Instead of staring at a image, you would be looking into the face of the onos as other kharaa swarm you. (or if you are a vanilla marine, you would be dragged off into the infestation)

Perhaps it could even be used to pin a mobile siege in place. This would be useful for preventing a retreat after a skirmish.

The main balance of it would be the exposure time required of the onos. It should also not be used concurrently with the bone-shield ability.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited October 2010
    disabling marines building sux.

i hope they add more abilities than they have planned on wiki, for both teams.. man, spending money on a game jujst to have 3 weapons for marines and 2 or 3 moves (not even attacks, 'mooves') for each alien? and only 5 aliens? hope not

ps - yes 3 wepons: assault rifle, shotgun and flamethrower. i dontcare of secondaries or melees, those dont count for a good arsenal of weapons, and even they only have one secondary planned... and attachments or upgrades dont count, they are just the same wep0n. it seems we wont even have mines nor hand grenades?!
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    @LUSITANER minigun.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800463:date=Oct 1 2010, 07:50 PM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Oct 1 2010, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@LUSITANER minigun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i already knew someone would say that, but as they say on wiki that will be just an upgrade to the assault rifle.