Alien class idea: Vish

cazoofoocazoofoo Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74088Members
edited September 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Creepy spidery-thing</div><u>Vish</u>
Health: medium
Speed: Low
Energy: High

The Vish is a higher end kharaa class that costs a similar amount to units such as the Onos or Fade. This class focuses on traps and ambush like tactics, looking like a mix between a spider, preying mantis and a samurai the vish is something to fear.
Best image I could find: <a href="http://images.mmosite.com/feature/twoworlds/big/monster_001.jpg" target="_blank">http://images.mmosite.com/feature/twoworld...monster_001.jpg</a>
EDIT: Remembering the awesome spider aliens from a Doctor Who episode this is probably a much better picture.
<a href="http://www.mikescomics.com/images/UT0029_empress_racnoss_small.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.mikescomics.com/images/UT0029_e...cnoss_small.jpg</a>

<u>Abilities</u>
Web: Recycled from the old Gorge, this ability sprays a orange webing stuff, you can fire webs at any surface. Enemy marines that walk on this webbing are temporarily slowed and their screen is blurred, the more they walk in this stuff the worse their movement and sight gets eventually climaxing at complete immobilization, blindness and inability to fire. You may spray webbing at enemies directly like a projectile, when a web projectile hits a jet-pack marine they are grounded. Webbing can be destroyed just like dynamic infestation through flame-throwers and explosives.

Corpse Puppet: Infests a marine corpse that you may control. This puppet is slow and has medium health, and can use a low damage mellee attack. When controlling a puppet you lose control of the Vish, upon the Vish taking damage, or the corpse dyeing control is returned. You can also activate a self-destruct attack, releasing a explosion fungal cloud instantly returning control.

Egg spawn: The Vish lays a bright orange egg sack, this egg acts as a proximity mine, the egg will hatch into a pack of babblers if an enemy draws near. You can only have three eggs at one time, and eggs may be shot at a distance intantly destroying them. Useful for traps and synergies's well with the web.

Spit venom: Poisons a enemy at long range, damages over time for five seconds and allies that attack this target are heal'd for 50% of the damage.

<u>Upgrades</u>

Web-walk: The Vish may now walk on any surface that has been sprayed by webbing in a similar fashion to the skags wall walk ability. You also gain a massive speed boost on webbed areas.

Egg suprise: You'r eggs are now much smaller and no longer glow bright orange making them much harder to see and avoid plus if you lay an egg on top of a marine corpse, the egg is completely invisible and the spawned babblers have double health.

Hive worker: Wherever a Vish walks it leaves a small trail of webbing that costs no energy, webbing also gives increased health and energy regeneration to allies.

<u> Strategy in team</u>
The Vish, can easily block off areas to marines and slowly push towards the enemy base. It's traps and environmental hazards can provide brilliant support in a group battle and a nice retreat for injured Kharaa.

<u>Conclusion</u>
What do you think of the Vish? Is it over-powered? Too complex? Anything that could be changed/removed/added?

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Insta kill attacks? No.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Can it actually play offensive? Low HP, big size and high res cost and yet no ranged attack.

Somehow I got the feeling that people playing this lifeform would just set up their own ambushing lair instead of trying to get involved in the game as a dynamic part of the team. At least I'd like to avoid that kind of mindset in lifeform design.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    How would this move? I highly doubt ground rocketing is interesting (I know it isnt!).

If spider like creature made appearence in to this game, it should have different moving style than the others, perhaps attaching web to a wall / roof and pulling itself fast to the point and doing this multiple times with minimal adrenaline usage. Of course the spider should be small in size to achieve this, just food for thought.
  • cazoofoocazoofoo Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74088Members
    edited September 2010
    Spellman: The scythe attack, should be hard to use. The Vish is a very slow and easy target due to its low speed and health when its not on web, so you would have to be a pretty un-skilled marine to let it get so close. The Idea was that it's only really usable when the enemy is webbed up and alone.

Bacillus: The Gorge pretty much does exactly what you don't want, plus the web ability may be used as a projectile. Web an enemy at range until they are completely blind then move in for the kill. Also Vish should be constantly expanding their web network for maximum awesome not just sitting in a corner twiddling their scythes for a marine to arrive.

Trc: It would move like a spider? I like the Idea of Peter Parker inspired web slinging but it sounds complex. Perhaps as a cool feature you could hang from a piece of silk like the Lerk perches.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1799196:date=Sep 20 2010, 06:58 PM:name=cazoofoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cazoofoo @ Sep 20 2010, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bacillus: The Gorge pretty much does exactly what you don't want, plus the web ability may be used as a projectile. Web an enemy at range until they are completely blind then move in for the kill. Also Vish should be constantly expanding their web network for maximum awesome not just sitting in a corner twiddling their scythes for a marine to arrive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gorges have good support abilities and they're cheap. Surely the OC forts are a bit problematic on public servers, but gorge is in no way limited to that. The combination of spit, healspray and bilebomb gives gorge excellent support capabilities.

As for ranged combat, webbing isn't going to cut. Why would you do that while the rest of the lifeforms have far more efficient methods that still leave you capable of escaping if the marine gets backup. Take a look at onos: even with the huge HP pool and some pretty badass abilities it can't survive because of the clumsy movement. Your lifeform has slow movement and low HP.

The web network itself is somewhat interesting possibility, but once again the lifeform is purely limited to defensive play against marines not equipped to deal with the webs. Once a planned attack comes, Vish has absolutely no effective tool for helping the team equal to the res expense it has.
    edited September 2010
    What if the Vish were to gain medium health and speed, with their speed going high when in webs? It would allow them slightly better combat utility and perhaps be a good support class, web an enemy up while a ally kills them. EDIT: Also, upon re-looking through some of the abilities I think some of them arn't that useful and maybe replaced.

Devour: A very, meh ability, its pretty much just the same as scythe slash but more complicated.

Re-aniamte
    Upon finding a marine corpse a Vish may infest it transforming it into a zombie-like Kharaa creature. The Vish has no control over the infested marine however the alien commander commands the creature him-self, allowing him a personal puppet and way of controlling the battlefield. The Infested Marine shoots orange pus from it's shoulders at enemies selected by the commander.

Scythe: Maybe overpowered and not really use-able in combat I have a replacement.

Venom Spit: Spits a long range glob of venom at a enemy, this poison only damages enemies whenever they move. This poison effect lasts forever and can only be removed by healing from a ally. This creates a annoying situation for a marine, do I stand where I am and wait for help or run towards allies and suffer damage.

Should I include these in the Vish design?
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    new thinking for sure, but i cant see this option in game.
    i guess im to old schooled - still nice idea.
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    Just bring webs back for Gorges. They were extremely fun and with welders/nades/grenade launchers, it's not like they were a big issue. For me anyway.
  • sparkzbarcasparkzbarca Join Date: 2010-09-09 Member: 73949Members
    the no movement ability is way too powerful

you can only get rid of if your teammates decide to be teammates and they have a heal?
    moving equals damage (so essentially it would be used ALOT to finish off wounded marines trying to escape and ones popping in and out of cover)
    lasts until heal or death?

thats alot of powerful stuff for one ability.

I could see it being much better if you made it a 10 second timer use, so that it was basically a finisher for wounded marines.

basically everything you have is all about forcing a marine to be slowed or stopped which isn't really a bad idea for a support class, having marines which can't move or can't move well synergizes well with all the other attack classes but that ability is way too powerful.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Having both Devour and the slash is redundant.

Making super speed on webs would require the webs being very easy to place on the fly, meaning people don't have to setup a nest of DOOM ahead of time. You can still, with skill, run around during offensive maneuvers.

Really in general I'm just not a huge fan of uber ambushers. While cool in concept, you need a way to engage aggressively somehow and not rely on the Marines falling into your traps.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    i know id be sh!tting bricks if i saw that giant spider thing in a hallway... but realistically... not gonan happen. way too much work for the devs to implement another alien class.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    i like the idea, ive always thought there were few lifeforms in ns1 =3 (and wep0ns lol, who doesnt think same?) this is actually good idea, but the model shouldnt be so much identical as a spider: we are talking of new lifeforms ALIENS, not animals from our world.

It should be gorge-sized, giant thing would suck. That would enable it to hide easily while waiting ppl to fall on traps.

For the attacks i agree with the web, eggsmine and the venom shooter, but it shouldnt have such a epic melee attack like that scythe u said. Maybe just another trap-based attack (if it is trap builder). Maybe it could build barnacles (like gorge does hydras) or plant some other hard-to-see organic traps, like spikes coming out from infected-floors when marine walk on it/spikemine...
    Updated with the replacement abilities. I think corpse puppet will allow Vish to be more offensive while still keeping themselves hidden away in layers of web and eggs. Plus it would allow Vish to follow just on the edge of the battle-field supporting allies, spinning webs and then after the fight using the corpse's.
    <!--quoteo(post=1799310:date=Sep 21 2010, 05:41 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 21 2010, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like the idea, ive always thought there were few lifeforms in ns1 =3 (and wep0ns lol, who doesnt think same?) this is actually good idea, but the model shouldnt be so much identical as a spider: we are talking of new lifeforms ALIENS, not animals from our world.

It should be gorge-sized, giant thing would suck. That would enable it to hide easily while waiting ppl to fall on traps.

For the attacks i agree with the web, eggsmine and the venom shooter, but it shouldnt have such a epic melee attack like that scythe u said. Maybe just another trap-based attack (if it is trap builder). Maybe it could build barnacles (like gorge does hydras) or plant some other hard-to-see organic traps, like spikes coming out from infected-floors when marine walk on it/spikemine...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Soo... The Onos doesn't look <b>anything</b> like a rhino? Plus in my mind its more like a praying mantis like creature with a mushroom cap-like head.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1799306:date=Sep 21 2010, 11:51 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Sep 21 2010, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i know id be sh!tting bricks if i saw that giant spider thing in a hallway... but realistically... not gonan happen. way too much work for the devs to implement another alien class.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think the amount of work is the main concern. It just wouldn't fit.
    <!--quoteo(post=1799315:date=Sep 21 2010, 06:34 PM:name=cazoofoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cazoofoo @ Sep 21 2010, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Soo... The Onos doesn't look <b>anything</b> like a rhino?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.
    Why wouldn't it fit? Constructive criticism please.

Also, onos... <a href="http://www.brywright.co.uk/gallery/albums/artwork/charging_onos.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.brywright.co.uk/gallery/albums/...arging_onos.jpg</a>

Rhino... <a href="http://www.techbanyan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/RHINO-PICTURE.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.techbanyan.com/wp-content/uploa...INO-PICTURE.jpg</a>

Four legged, large hair-less, large head, tree-trunk legs, large horns, charges... Your totally right! This is nothing like a rhino at all!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Triceratops more like it, but "<i>space cow</i>" still cracks me up though!
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1799468:date=Sep 22 2010, 07:30 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Sep 22 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1799468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Triceratops more like it, but "<i>space cow</i>" still cracks me up though!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats what i was thinking.. and dinos if u know arent from this world anymore :'D.

Seriously, if u want damn ****** looking spider as an alien, go ahead! if u want also some dog or hyppo, who am i to say no? just stay primitive.... i think it should be inspired on babblers.. those are orignial (well most)

And i keep saying: NO. doesnt look like rhyno, it even looks more like a lion -.-' that way it means u think humans look like fades cuz both have 2 arms and 2 legs.. oh and one head....