Hallucinations

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
edited August 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Hallucinations for a tower. Targeted ability.</div>An idea for a tower's targeted ability (Kharaa) is that the targeted marines hallucinate and see skulks running around (That aren't there and cannot been seen by another player.

So the marine wastes ammo shooting imaginary skulks (Or the babblers as they are small and horrible) due to the tower.

It is only an idea.
Feedback?

Comments

• RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    Well depends on the viability and reusability time. If it can reused quickly that could be overpowering, used slowly it would be pointless if has teammates enough that the rine can pay attention to what they're doing.

It would be more interesting if blood started running down the screen and then flashed and it looked like a skulk was jumping right at you.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I like Papaya's ghost-skulk idea. It could be used as a distraction, or to shadow the movements of real skulk players.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1796800:date=Aug 29 2010, 09:57 PM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Aug 29 2010, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well depends on the viability and reusability time. If it can reused quickly that could be overpowering, used slowly it would be pointless if has teammates enough that the rine can pay attention to what they're doing.

It would be more interesting if blood started running down the screen and then flashed and it looked like a skulk was jumping right at you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes but with enough tweaking it could be quite good.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    I'd rather it just be sounds. Biting, skulk clawsteps, chuckles.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    The illusion should be very realistic to really have effect I do not believe this is possible otherwise it would be too easy to distuinguish fakes and it would just be another nuisance. It could be only part illusion (face jump for example) if done with various effect similar how players do it. I'm no fan of these kinda of effects thou either of "hallucinated sounds" althought it might be better choice if it really have to be implimented.
    I think I will agree with you.

With enough experience you could be abled to tell what is real and what is fake. Unless they can make it so similar to the players I think Sounds would be a better idea but adding something to make them jump is always a bonus. Everyone loves a bit of jumpiness in games (Half life, headcrabs in vents)

Also, in NS people use sounds a lot when they are on the marine side.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited September 2010
    I think it might be possible to have illusions for example leading the movements of player controlled skulk. So while your actual skulk strafes, the illusion strafes a few meters ahead and takes the corner before the skulk and potentially gets shot. Switching direction could cause the illusion to swerve to the other side, causing it cross with the original skulk, possibly creating an interesting challenge for tracking.

Whether that serves any kind of beneficial gameplay is debabtable of course.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1798041:date=Sep 9 2010, 11:15 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 9 2010, 11:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it might be possible to have illusions for example leading the movements of player controlled skulk. So while your actual skulk strafes, the illusion strafes a few meters ahead and takes the corner before the skulk and potentially gets shot. Switching direction could cause the illusion to swerve to the other side, causing it cross with the original skulk, possibly creating an interesting challenge for tracking.

Whether that serves any kind of beneficial gameplay is debabtable of course.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's actually how I always pictured a proper replacement for the cloak upgrade that doesn't have a hard counter and has a similar purpose as celerity and carapace.

The only cloak available would be within sc-range.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    No hard counter? What about obs?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1798070:date=Sep 9 2010, 08:40 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 9 2010, 08:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No hard counter? What about obs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not to mention the one/two shot building busting rifle nades
    Meh, it is up to the developers.
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    just eat some shrooms and try to play ns2. key word try.
  • AlmightyNuAlmightyNu Join Date: 2004-06-27 Member: 29572Members
    I like the idea of phantom sounds instead. If NS2 is anything like NS1 (especially if MT is reworked) picking out sounds can mean the difference between life and death, so if, in proximity to a tower you would periodically hear the gorge's heavy tread, the tik tik tik of skulk footsteps, or the occasional chuckle, then you could be unprepared for an actual ambush.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I'm fine with distraction sounds to some extend, but as long as NS tries to be a player vs player FPS/RTS anything completely random should be avoided. Make them originate from an activated chamber ability and we've got something that I can live with.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798039:date=Sep 9 2010, 03:05 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Sep 9 2010, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Sounds would be a better idea but adding something to make them jump is always a bonus. Everyone loves a bit of jumpiness in games (Half life, headcrabs in vents)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds are what causes jumping. Go watch any horror movie. It's almost always complete silence and then a sudden noise.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPaQfLg08c&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPaQfLg08c...feature=related</a>
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    If anything it should be green mist with purple sheep flying around.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Best idea ever.

A++++ recommend.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    as long as it sexually stimulates the marines, then i'm okay with it.
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    imagine the rave rooms people could create
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I would like to add that an activated hallucion ability for skulk might work as far as hard to predict goes. Idea is to have activated skill that makes an replication that acts the same way as you do except you do but in mirrormode (horizontal). Activating this behind a box out of line of sight for example creates realistic moving targets, distraction in high paced game is an key element which may make this feature too overpowered even if the illusion target would fadeaway from single shot. Idea is very tempting because it allows aliens to take less optimal ways to attack as well to make the illusion look the real one.

Downside would be that it would be only viable for skulk as lerk is rather (atm) reduced to spike spam, fade blink abilitity wouldnt need such distraction and onos has enough meat to handle few shots. Chances are most of the illusion are going to get stuck/walk to the walls at least in the begining, but I suppose it wouldnt be an issue if it just fades away on direct hit.