Do you think UWE should not have given us alpha access?

2»

Comments

• WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    This thread is too funny
    So many clueless people.
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Eric Cartman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eric Cartman)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The F*&^?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1797424:date=Sep 3 2010, 06:05 PM:name=WarLover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WarLover @ Sep 3 2010, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thread is too funny
    So many clueless people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it made your day a little bit less dull let me simply say: You are welcome.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Voltaire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voltaire)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Personally I am not certain on the correct stance regarding the public alpha test.
    You really would need an economic study showing how huge the impact on pre-order sales would have been without the alpha access promise.
    How much the actual gain from the alpha tests is in terms of free test hours vs time spent skimming through bad bug reports etc.
    And of course how much the loss from people being put off the games is because they have been fet info by a source that does not understand the meaning of alpha.

Anyone willing to finance such study?
  • Bl4ckH4wkBl4ckH4wk Join Date: 2009-07-21 Member: 68216Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Myself)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Myself)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The future has been cancelled due to lack of knowledge about alphas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1797374:date=Sep 3 2010, 07:06 AM:name=Mr. Epic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Epic @ Sep 3 2010, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To answer the thread question, NO. They sold the game with alpha, they delivered and are continuing to deliver on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You might want to change that into:

To answer the title question, NO. ...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Personally I think it would have saved a bunch of grief if instead of jumping straight from ~25 to 16,000 testers to scale up a bit more slowly.

I'm not sure how they would have chosen the initial seed of say 100-1000 initial testers, but some of the backlash has been fairly painful due to people not understanding what they were getting themselves into. I can not believe just how many people are all like "I know how an alpha/beta is supposed to work, I'm in the <insert major company> ones and they're fine!"

Plus, I am pretty skeptical about getting poor initial press being OK. I've seen many other groups do silly things, dash the starry eyed groupies, and never recover. Granted, UWE is leagues beyond those morons, but I've seen a few too many project die because of initial bad press. People then wait until it is awesome beyond compare before daring to come back in after their initial hopes and dreams are dashed. Sure most of them don't realize this is how it should be, but you aren't trying to sell a game to game developers who understand all this. You're selling it to starry-eyed kids who want their next fix.
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    "Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."
    Peter F. Drucker

And to topic title, no, never.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1797460:date=Sep 3 2010, 06:15 PM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faskalia @ Sep 3 2010, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You might want to change that into:

To answer the title question, NO. ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well the thread's question was in the title, your troll LOL I GOT U in the first post did not warrant a reply. If it makes you happy, you tricked a lot of people with the bait and switch. Congrats! :)
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    Hey atleast alpha is a hint of a few crumbs of the specialsugarbombcookiebakeoff that will come along.

This one from my army time:

Cpt. -Why did you not alter position pvt.?
    Pvt. -I was thinking of curbing the AT4 shot around the tree blocking my view sir!
    Cpt. -You never hold this weapon again pvt, understood!
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    I think it was really great that they let us play around with the alpha.
    We're not the testers, but they get a lot of free testing and bug reports out of this.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Imho UWE depends on the community to do some of the Q&A and bug hunting during the public alpha.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quotes are in my signature !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    edited September 2010
    I think it’s great, novel and exciting. Look at all the interest and controversy they have generated. Not just from the NS community but form all the other people. A good marketing strategy.
    It’s like waiting for an 0rg@sm, however good or bad the ending it’s worth the effort.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I lol'd. No one actually does read the opening post, they just reply to the thread title.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can’t wait to have words with the Gray King when this shi* is all finished. There’s a few things I want to ask him. Philosophical questions. Like, ‘How does it feel to be dangled out a window by a rope tied around your balls, motherfu*ker?’<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited September 2010
    I read but decided not reply to a "post a quote" forum game that is not located in off-topic. Now I did anyway, but it was an answer to the person who stated that ppl didnt play the forum game.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I read but decided not reply to a "post a quote" forum game that is not located in off-topic. Now I did anyway, but it was an answer to the person who stated that ppl didnt play the forum game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    -Feha
    edited September 2010
    But no one even cared about the actual thread title, least of all the OP.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is silly, we could spend all night contrasting coc*-lengths. I say mine is five feet, you say yours is six and shoots fire on command...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Isn't this basically just a spam thread?
    You chose to read it...
  • PstranglerPstrangler Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21198Members
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=March 16 1997:name=Homer Simpson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Homer Simpson @ March 16 1997)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think they might have given it too early, but its a good thing.
    They cannot afford a QA dept of 30 people so having the community spotting bugs and giving (sometimes useful) opinions probably helps them a lot. Of course, the whiners are irritating but what can we do?
  • ZeconZecon Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67625Members
    my quote
    "this thread is full of win"
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I occassionally take breaks from the forums when I realize that I'm starting to ignore posts and make assumptions on their content. The thingy probably feeds itself nicely as you have to dig through a pile of garbage to find a proper discussion, which then again often makes you put less thought on your own posts.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Colin Mochrie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Colin Mochrie)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer dead at 53. I know, it is sad. Over Barcelona today, the famed reindeer was hit by a flock of seagulls and a 747. Eyewitnesses report that "the reindeer in Spain was hit mainly by the plane."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No-one forced anyone to buy the game or download the alpha. What you're getting (and have been given) is a privilege not a right.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I like this thread, but I have such a hard time picking a favorite quote.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798224:date=Sep 11 2010, 07:48 PM:name=DY357LX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DY357LX @ Sep 11 2010, 07:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No-one forced anyone to buy the game or download the alpha. What you're getting (and have been given) is a privilege not a right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speak for yourself. When i hovered across the buy button, i felt the distant gaze of chuck norris ready to smite me if i did not comply (a quote and a discussion! woot!)

Still, the thread title's twofold. On the one hand, it's not a bad thing they gave us alpha and i do belive a long public testing period can help with the stability of the game. God knows, i played the CO open beta which lasted a week... and lets just say that game did not launch well.

On the other hand, they should've delayed everything untill the hit-reg and lag was fixed. Or possibly release it to constellation members first if they needed more data. I do think releasing the alpha in a non-playable state was wrong. Yes i know what alpha means, and some lag i don't mind, but the current state is just too much. Even pulling coders off another team for the time beeing would've been better. Considering the activity in game and even on the forums, for now, they've pretty much completely wasted the "hype" factor. Not to mention the first crucial patches have done nothing for the playability, which is also very bad from a PR perspective.

I do have full confidence though that it'll be better in a couple of weeks. But when you're litteraly 1 of 2 people in the entire world testing the game.... well... That's just a PR catastrophe. I really doubt that there where no investors that where willing to keep the game under wraps for a bit longer because of the above reason. And it is a valid one as soon as consumer's money gets involved.

Ohwell, lesson learned. Has UWE fired/hired a PR guy yet? :p Not that i'd apply but, they really should.
  • ArrowheadArrowhead Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43198Members
    I don't think it hurt NS2 in the long run at all. Once the game is playable, people will happily come back. They did pay $40 already for the game afterall.

Patience, patience... A lot of good work is being done now.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    I saw the title of this thread and instantly knew I wouldn't bother reading it... would've been a waste of time, just like I wasted my precious time with writing this pointless post.

Thread closed.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1798233:date=Sep 11 2010, 03:10 PM:name=TSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSS @ Sep 11 2010, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->for now, they've pretty much completely wasted the "hype" factor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 is not a fashion thingy! I can feel it, its gonna be a pure oldskool, good times real vital video game. A game made from the heart and for the love of video games. NS2 don't need no mistress hyping!

Only those who know it will recognize it!!!

edit. hahahaha PhiXX!!! your post was a waste a time not the thread! Only you control what you do of your time and how you make the best of it.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Grandma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grandma)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enough talking, you don't even know what you're saying!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    eezahdngvnhgfjyhgj,l so there.
    <!--quoteo(post=1798254:date=Sep 12 2010, 09:31 AM:name=PhiXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhiXX @ Sep 12 2010, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw the title of this thread and instantly knew I wouldn't bother reading it... would've been a waste of time, just like I wasted my precious time with writing this pointless post.

Thread closed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I lol'd.
    Perfect case in point for the OP's experiment.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    To the original topic: No. I think opening the Alpha was a good decision.

Unknown Worlds improving their product is worth a bit of irritation for forum moderators as we flame ourselves over the Alpha.

Getting the flaming and counter-flaming out of our systems now is probably best when defenses such as "It's Alpha" still apply and the whiners are taught some decorum before expectations rise even further for the beta stage of the product.