so my track is done

DJ KartoffelSalatDJ KartoffelSalat Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72672Members
4 beta versions later and a month after i promised.....its done...mind ye im new at it and just trying to find my sound now....so if youll help me finding a place to host my tracks (preferably free) as my myspace artist page isnt working right ill post it for yall to critique and otherwise enjoy

Comments

• HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited August 2010
    Options:

<a href="http://www.filefront.com" target="_blank">Filefront</a>
    <a href="http://www.megaupload.com" target="_blank">Megaupload</a>
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com" target="_blank">Mediafire</a>
    <a href="http://www.rapidshare.com" target="_blank">RapidCrap</a>
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Mediafire is easiest for users, just click to download without waiting or limits.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    seconding mediafire
  • DJ KartoffelSalatDJ KartoffelSalat Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72672Members
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/KartoffelSalatmusic" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/KartoffelSalatmusic</a>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    YouTube or another video site are also an option, if you're looking for the easiest form of access
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    soundcloud is by far superior because it allows embedding/streaming audio
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    As much as I love alien chuckling, I think you overdid it. Keep working at it.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    He already has.

I'm of the same opinion as Crispix.
    so what is this thread about exactly, music?
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1796407:date=Aug 26 2010, 05:14 PM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Aug 26 2010, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As much as I love alien chuckling, I think you overdid it. Keep working at it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • DJ KartoffelSalatDJ KartoffelSalat Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72672Members
    i feared as much but i tend to get lazy when im about to finish a track...ill fix it
  • MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    edited August 2010
    imo, eliminate the NS alien (and all alien) sounds. Second, tighten and add to the music. Depth of change and instruments is important. I felt like every thirty seconds that I'd hear the same sound over and over for the next...thirty seconds. asdflakjsf Exceptionally frustrating and annoying.

Right now, I'd rate it a 2/10. If you followed my advice, I'd rate it at least a 6/10.
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    Yeah, I wouldnt recomend for you to head up the sound department just yet...but still a good effort none the less..keep at it ;p
  • alphzalphz Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69329Members
    Im of a similar boat to others, there were parts of it I liked quite alot! but I found the use of some of the samples were repeated just a bit too much. I'd recommend trying to utilise the samples as transition into instrumental variations rather than a beat themselves.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
  • TheDestroyerTheDestroyer Tooobah Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18123Members, Constellation
    Could go in depth on this, but you need to start with Googling "music rule of three."

You have the same lick played like 50 gazillion times, then does another lick 50 gazillion more, and so on. It becomes boring pretty quick. Music is just like telling a story. Build it up, climax, and bring it home, dude. There are plenty of good examples out there, both instrumental music and electronic.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1796776:date=Aug 29 2010, 05:21 PM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Aug 29 2010, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->awful sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay, so you're entitled to give your opinion but simply saying "It's awful" just strikes me as incredibly rude and immature. This is some ones work, something they've spent time making and having some arsehole like yourself barging in here with your "opinion" is incredibly annoying.

At least have the damn decency to say why you disliked it.
  • RooKRooK Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21694Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1796595:date=Aug 27 2010, 06:32 PM:name=MasterPTG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MasterPTG @ Aug 27 2010, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->imo, eliminate the NS alien (and all alien) sounds. Second, tighten and add to the music. Depth of change and instruments is important. I felt like every thirty seconds that I'd hear the same sound over and over for the next...thirty seconds. asdflakjsf Exceptionally frustrating and annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT.

To add constructive criticism....

I'm not a fan of techno much, so i'm afraid I can't say anything positive there except maybe shorten up the song a bit, and make one part for aliens and one part for marines. And play your alien samples during the alien bit, and the marine samples during the marine bit.

You would want to the marine bit to sound very organized but maybe a little mechanical as well. The aliens should have some sort of trancy but "tight" beat - your current mix is WAY to high BPM for this... and matching your BPM for marines and the aliens might get tricky. Good luck if you try this.

During the song, if you had samples of a full fledged attach, like a skulk biting a couple times while you hear some shooting, then the marine death sound, with an alien chuckle.

Keep in mind that you would need to keep these sort of things at a little lower volume level than the song.

Here's an iffy one... If you could record a couple of good intense battles, take a second or so with clear decent voices and mix them in...

Just remember - your mixes are going to have to tell some sort of story... You don't want to repeat yourself, and you don't want to remain on one subject too long.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    natural selection.mp3 started awesome, then i just thought "for christs sake, give it caughing syrup already"
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1796402:date=Aug 26 2010, 07:49 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Aug 26 2010, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->soundcloud is by far superior because it allows embedding/streaming audio<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://soundcloud.com/mattplanner/padded-echo-chamber" target="_blank">Example of what I'm talking about</a>

Okay I downloaded a song against my better judgement. "Natural Selection" obviously. Yes, it's repetitive. The solution is not add more sound samples from NS2. Right now the song is 1 chord played for 4 minutes, and then the same pattern transposed upwards for the last 2 minutes. You need to figure out a few more chords and instead of just adding a sample every 8 measures or whatever, change the notes that are playing to the notes from the next chord. It's called harmonic motion, it's pretty much required to make a song interesting. The easier solution if that doesn't compute is to make your song 1:30 instead of 6:00, because you probably have enough variation already to sustain interest for around a minute. Id also suggest using the samples in a more rhythmic way, but thats just personal preference.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1796831:date=Aug 30 2010, 04:26 AM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Aug 30 2010, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, so you're entitled to give your opinion but simply saying "It's awful" just strikes me as incredibly rude and immature. This is some ones work, something they've spent time making and having some arsehole like yourself barging in here with your "opinion" is incredibly annoying.

At least have the damn decency to say why you disliked it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because it's dull, uninspired and sounds bad.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1796861:date=Aug 30 2010, 10:47 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Aug 30 2010, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://soundcloud.com/mattplanner/padded-echo-chamber" target="_blank">Example of what I'm talking about</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's nice! Quite chilly, but I like it.
  • TheDestroyerTheDestroyer Tooobah Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18123Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1796861:date=Aug 30 2010, 03:47 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Aug 30 2010, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You need to figure out a few more chords and instead of just adding a sample every 8 measures or whatever, change the notes that are playing to the notes from the next chord. It's called harmonic motion, it's pretty much required to make a song interesting. The easier solution if that doesn't compute is to make your song 1:30 instead of 6:00, because you probably have enough variation already to sustain interest for around a minute. Id also suggest using the samples in a more rhythmic way, but thats just personal preference.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. And add some rhythmic complexity, too.

OP, what are some of your influences? (so we know more of where you are coming from)
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Altough I didn't enjoy the song, it was not as bad as I expected after reading all the comments.
    Don't quit your dayjob though :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1796950:date=Aug 30 2010, 11:58 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Aug 30 2010, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's nice! Quite chilly, but I like it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

aint mine mang, it's just an example of how it's easy to listen to people's music without downloading anything, via soundcloud. "chilly" is a good way to describe it tho.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The start was good, all the way up till the 2nd laugh. I don't know how you'd think 1.5 mins of a skulk laughing would make for good music. You even went back to just skulk laughing, bad move to repeat a bad move.