Share Alpha Footage?

TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Am I allowed to share Alpha footage or is this illegal?</div>Am I allowed to share Alpha footage or is this illegal?
I've been testing for other games and most of the times there has been no info sharing policies.
But this is a rather open alpha so I was wondering if it is OK to share footage with friends that don't have it.

Thanks

Comments

• Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    im pretty sure you are allowed to share alpha videos seeing as there is already videos on youtube
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i wouldn't spread them around too much, just to be fair to the developers, i mean, usually you never see alpha footage, and this is for a good reason (people will asume the game is laggy etc, even if it's just an alpha).
    that being said, you can do whatever you want :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2010
    You can do what you like, the developers have not stated anything otherwise.

You have to have signed or agreed to something for it to be illegal.
  • DJ SplendidDJ Splendid Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73629Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    Good question, was just about to ask it myself :)

Yeah, gotta say the open nature of the release and the whole development cycle is a canny plan by UW.
    They're marketing it as if it were merely a mod.
    Makes sense, it's what they know, it fits the history and I can see it working really well for them.

Other, larger companies will take note, mark my words.
    Really stands to pollish up that cost:effectiveness ratio wrt. marketing/sales/prestige/'brand' value/product quality/customer satisfaction.

I look forward to casting obscene quantities of NS2 footage on my gaming channel <a href="http://www.livestream.com/thesplendidshow" target="_blank">http://www.livestream.com/thesplendidshow</a> as soon as I feel it will safely attract interest as opposed to deter it due to the alpha-cycle infancy which many folk might not see past, especially if they never got involved with NS1.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    I think you should wait beta with fully equiped both aliens, rines and tech.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    2 things:

1.- Yes, share your videos. No problem with that.
    2.- Make sure you advice that is an early alpha footage, so people can see the progress through your video updates.

And of course, share it with all the community too.

This videos help a lot, because others can see in which state are the game, and that it looks awesome and it's an alpha. Some of this people could get interested and pre-order, to taste the Beta when it comes. It's easy, if the alpha looks so great, the beta will blow your head off. Go and share the videos. Youtube, Dailymotin, you chose, we enjoy the show.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Ya know i was wondering what the alpha gameplay was like. >> goes to youtube <<
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    You are legally clear, but I don't really like all this alpha footage going out - they say there is no such publicity as bad publicity, but most of the videos going up right now are all about funny bugs etc.

Show your friends but make sure they know it's an alpha. Personally I'm not going to be spreading it until it is in a good state, probably not until beta.
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    edited August 2010
    I will try to make a good in-game video to show how awesome NS2 will be, thanks for the replies.

Edit; The video I made was a video of me getting stuck in the ready room and when I entered "kill" in console it made a funny rag doll move that looked as if he was humping the wall.

Edit 2; <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFIMcPVdjA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFIMcPVdjA</a>
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    sounds like you did exactly what you set out to ;p
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    I added (Early Alpha Footage) to the title :)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited August 2010
    while you <i>could</i>, I'd say it's best to hold off until beta to go public with fan made videos. it's evident in these forums alone that people can't grasp the meaning of alpha testing. all you need is a highly viewed alpha footage video on youtube with 2 of it's highest rated comments tacked to the top of the comments list with something along the lines of "lol dis bad" and you've lost a lot of customers.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    You have not signed an NDA. There are videos for testing and showing off purposes over youtube and such.

Make a video if you wish, no one is going to sue you ;)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I gotta say, after watching a few of these videos. ESPECIALLY this one: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkT4pqM7YnY&NR=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkT4pqM7YnY&NR=1</a> That the sound of the rifle is well crap (too sci-fi for the sake of sci-fi, to machinery for the sake of NS2-theme, not enough ak/m4 pop blend overall). I can see why they want to add multiple sounds + suppressors because seriously i want to puke after listening to that droning sound.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Damn. I agree. It's a bit 'too much'. Like the sounds aren't spaced apart enough? - basically it drones, as you said. The popping sound from other games sounds good.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    are silencers really going to make the cut? i still think a silenced rifle with black armor would be sexy, and should be exempt to practicality for said reason.