Bummed I can't play NS2 yet ;(

NSepicNSepic Join Date: 2010-08-15 Member: 73634Members
edited August 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Just order Standard Addition and didn't read the fine print...</div>Sooo...being busy with life lately I haven't been keeping up on NS2 but when I got the e-mail about the first Alpha being ready I ran to the site(literally 2 seconds into reading the e-mail) but I guess I was down and the e-mail list because it was already past the cut-off time to purchase the Special Edition.

Oh well…I figured I would let the hard core guys play it through until the first patch came out. Well it was a boring night on the siege server over at BAD Clan so I figured I’d check in and see if a patch was out yet.

I’m in luck! New patch! YES! Time to see the new NS!

Purchase…Download…Install…then NADA, NOTHING, ZILTCH, BUBKISS! Can't play until Full Version is released...

No way! I missed out on the Special Edition and now I can't even play the Standard Edition…UGH…

I can’t be the only one this has happened to. I have been a loyal NS supporter for YEARS now and donated to BAD Clan for the last couple just to play some more interesting siege maps until NS2 finally came out…but now I have to wait?

I would think that UWE would want more players to vet the Alpha… And players who purchased the Special Edition would want as many people to fill the servers as possible right now. Not to mention this being a BIG disincentive for the people who do read the “you don’t get to play until whenever” part of the Standard Edition purchase screen. UWE has to want/need that money for development…more people being drawn to buy the early Alpha version of NS2 has to be good for overall game development right?

Can/should anything be done for people like me who just want to get going with NS2 NOW and are willing to pay for the privilege?

I'm trying not to make this seem like a gripe as much as just point this out in the hope that someone sees my logic and pushes for a change ;)

I just want to kill some NS2 skulks! :)

Comments

• RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794359:date=Aug 15 2010, 09:19 PM:name=NSepic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NSepic @ Aug 15 2010, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sooo...being busy with life lately I haven't been keeping up on NS2 but when I got the e-mail about the first Alpha being ready I ran to the site(literally 2 seconds into reading the e-mail) but I guess I was down and the e-mail list because it was already past the cut-off time to purchase the Special Edition.

Oh well…I figured I would let the hard core guys play it though until the first patch came out. Well it was a boring night on the siege server over at BAD Clan so I figured I’d check in and see if a patch was out yet.

I’m in luck! New patch! YES! Time to see the new NS!

Purchase…Download…Install…then NADA, NOTHING, ZILTCH, BUBKISS!

No way! I missed the Special Edition and now I can even play the regular edition…UGH…

I can’t be the only one this has happened to. I have been a loyal NS supporter for YEARS now and donated to BAD Clan for the last couple just to play some more interesting siege maps until NS2 finally came out…but now I have to wait?

I would think that UWE would want more players to vet the Alpha… And players who purchased the Special Edition would want as many people to fill the servers as possible right now. Not to mention this being a BIG disincentive for the people who do read the “you don’t get to play until whenever” part of the Standard Edition purchase screen. UWE has to want/need that money for development…more people being drawn to buy the early Alpha version of NS2 has to be good for overall game development right?

Can/should anything be done for people like me who just want to get going with NS2 NOW and are willing to pay for the privilege?

I'm trying not to make this aseem like a gripe as much as just point this out and hope that someone sees my logic and pushes for a change ;)

I just want to kill some NS2 skulks! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why are there so many of these threads?

It was mentioned numerous times that this would be happening and Special Edition would be ending...

You even acknowledge getting the e-mail.

just because another "patch" has come out does not mean it's out of Alpha.

There are still huge amounts of bugs that will stop any real gameplay with a decent number of players. Just look at the GetSatisfaction site. To answer your question about player numbers we don't need more players because you can barely play with like 8 people in a server due to massive lag.

SE got you access to Alpha, this is still Alpha and once they believe it's at a stage where it's playable I'm sure they will make it Beta.

IMO I think having a small Alpha at this stage is better than them getting flooded by vast number of players lodging bugs over and over again. The current Alpha testers as far as I can see are lodging a number of bugs that UWE need to fix.

UWE maybe you should increase the price to like $50 and allow more special editions for these people who seem to now whine they are not getting access but then I assume people will just QQ more that they won't pay more for their special edition that they shouldn't have access to because it ended...
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    I spent my extra cash to get the alpha. So simply no, sorry, I don't think you should get into the alpha.

You should have pre-ordered a year ago if you wanted into the alpha that bad..
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Short answer to this thread is...

Alpha is not a game, it is an engine test...
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Hi NSEpic, it must be disappointing, but let me share something with you... the alpha isn't really that fun yet! Sure I've managed to have a bit of fun by trying to work around the bugs to kill people, but it's not really a game yet! Perhaps towards the end of the alpha those that got the special will get some actual play time that resembles a game before it's changed to beta but we're not there yet, you're not missing out on much! I'm sure once they feel that it's i) ready for more widespread consumption and ii) nearly feature complete, they'll switch to beta and you'll get an e-mail inviting you to come play! It's been what, 6 years we've been waiting, a few more months and we'll have something closer than ever and you'll get to play :).
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    edited August 2010
    If only people actually read things, stuff like this wouldn't happen.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Aye the fine print is not that fine, and its only a couple of words, quite hard to believe he did not read it..
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794359:date=Aug 15 2010, 07:19 AM:name=NSepic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NSepic @ Aug 15 2010, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would think that UWE would want more players to vet the Alpha… And players who purchased the Special Edition would want as many people to fill the servers as possible right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, no. Right now, the more players in a server, the worse it gets, and it gets real bad, real fast. So at this point there is little need for more people to play the alpha (90% of the preorders were Special Editions anyway, right?). That's why it's an alpha. Standard Edition buyers get access to the beta, in other words, once the game breaking stuff gets fixed (alpha), testing will be opened to a larger player base for stress testing and getting lots of gameplay feedback.
  • HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
    edited August 2010
    How is it that we have these totally dedicated players who have done all sorts of good deeds in the past and really shown their worth to the IP, and they're not keeping themselves up-to-date? Those things just don't seem to mix, in my book.

Anyway... I don't see a good reason to keep them out of the alpha. It's not playable anyway, and if they can help locate a bug or two, all the better. As a pre-orderer, I don't feel that I lost anything if new players are allowed to join.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    they mentioned having 16'000 people on the alpha........ i think they have enough tester for the moment ;)
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    It's OK dude, your not missing much in the Alpha.
    Just chill out and play something else until Beta.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1794359:date=Aug 15 2010, 11:19 AM:name=NSepic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NSepic @ Aug 15 2010, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Purchase…Download…Install…then NADA, NOTHING, ZILTCH, BUBKISS! Can't play until Full Version is released...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You won't need to wait until the Full Version of the game is released, you just have to wait until the Beta version. Which is still a testing phase of the game, not the final version, and anyone who has pre ordered the game gets access to that.

We are working hard to get the game to a Beta stage so that everyone like you who has pre ordered the regular version of the game can play it, so please have some patience, and keep checking this site to follow the progress of the game development.

Thanks.

--Cory
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    Working on Sundays, now that's devotion! :)
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1794372:date=Aug 15 2010, 09:58 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 15 2010, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Short answer to this thread is...

Alpha is not a game, it is an engine test...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correction. The engine test that was released before was an engine test.

The Alpha is a game that is being debugged constantly by the devs improving over time to reach Beta, and then release build status.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794438:date=Aug 15 2010, 03:59 PM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Aug 15 2010, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Correction. The engine test that was released before was an engine test.

The Alpha is a game that is being debugged constantly by the devs improving over time to reach Beta, and then release build status.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think he was trying to be funny. :P
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Trust me, I wouldn't worry.

Whilst I think this will be a great game, playing right now is... 'very' painful. Game is very incomplete, lots of bugs, only good for those with monster machines or those who really want to help with testing.

I have had a little play, and I have decided to wait until things get a little bit beta (see what I did there?).

Honestly, if you try it now, you'll play for like 5 mins and then turn it off.

Also my computer is a reasonable amount above the min specs stated originally, yet it runs like a tortoise carrying a donkey.

Bring on 6 months time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1794438:date=Aug 15 2010, 10:59 PM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Aug 15 2010, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Correction. The engine test that was released before was an engine test.

The Alpha is a game that is being debugged constantly by the devs improving over time to reach Beta, and then release build status.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No it's not... It is similar to their inhouse test, but has more stuff to test... In short it is just an engine test with more content...

We're not exactly testing gameplay or balance issues, which would be a game (beta)
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Its alpha.. and the game as it is now is prety much unplayable. Its a testing phase, where the main purpose is to find and currect bugs ( and thers alot of em )
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Unless you plan on LUA scripting for servers. Learning the engine to mod or working out how to tinker with maps/textures/models right now, there's really no shooting skulks in NS2. There's lot's of bug testing though.
  • NSepicNSepic Join Date: 2010-08-15 Member: 73634Members
    Thanks for the replies...as I said I was trying to not make it sound like a gripe as much as a comment. I am happy to wait...but anxiously await ANYTHING new. It has just been sooooooooo long... I tremble at the thought of another two years playing NS Caged and Nancy... But I understand that this development will take time and there are still a whole lot of bugs to find and optimizing to do. So I will patiently wait until BETA. But will hope that it arrives quickly ;)

And thanks for all your hard work UWE crew!

It will all be worth it once the final version of this game is released and you see a whole new community of NS folowers born again!
    <!--quoteo(post=1794483:date=Aug 15 2010, 09:05 PM:name=NSepic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NSepic @ Aug 15 2010, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It will all be worth it once the final version of this game is released and you see a whole new community of NS folowers born again!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, thats what I'm afraid of.
    What if pretty much everyone who was going to want NS2 was NS1 fans, of which many of us have already pre-ordered?

I think NS2 is going to need a good marketing camping. Like getting front-page on the SteamStore.
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    @ original poster
    If you like to kill skulks
    You will find me gnawing on your legs!!!!

With <3,
    the Skulk who ran off with your leg

lolol