So i have a question...

Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
edited August 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">seeing all these posts about playing the alpha...</div>yea, so apparently people ARE able to play this game to report bugs. do you just have ungodly computers that take 3 backup generators or what? cuz im a tad pissed i spent extra money on this game and no matter how high or low the settings are it just lags like massive hell.

i dont really understand the order u went in updating the game... making sure u can connect to the server then.. making it playable? why connect to a server if u cant move w.o lagging to the point of having a seizure? is there some kind of way to fix this that idk? ive been looking but so far nothing works or really holds ne ground... sorry if im being a ###### im just a bit annoyed that i shelled out 20 extra bucks basically JUST for getting black armor in who knows how long...

if there's a fix to this plz pm me or something, cuz the game lags even at the start menu.. i have to finger ###### my mouse with like 10 lbs of force for it to click on ######.

i like to swear so dont take it as a complete flame.. just a frustrated <i>investor</i>

Comments

• DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    edited August 2010
    It looks like there will be a lot of fixes including several 'lag' based ones in the next update (they presumably fixed the server connection first because i] it was easier ii] it would enable the people that can already play to play more sucessfully) hoepfully us less mortals with less powerful computer will be able to play properly soon too.

Edit: yes I've managed to play, the FPS was awful I was on min settings and I had to make a game of hiding until the enemy players paused for a few seconds before I would even try to shoot them! Hopefully it'll be better should.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    a game in alpha phase with bugs?!??! ARE YOU MAD?!?!?

DEMAND REFUNDS, I SAY!!!
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    edited August 2010
    how are people playing this then?

a bug is a tad different than non-playable. go be useless elsewhere
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    ok, hows this for an answer....

the game is in alpha which means it hasnt been optimized for everyone's system. you give no information as to what you are running it on and you expect a legitimate answer.... go troll elsewhere.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    Anyone playing the Alpha right now is getting severe lag.
    Everyone discussing the Alpha is either doing so theoretically, or doing so while taking into consideration that the massive lag that persists at the moment won't be there by the next patch. You're not missing anything.

The Alpha isn't worth destroying your mouse over. Practicing patience, understanding and more patience is the key at this point in time. You're not alone in this, after all.
    edited August 2010
    ok thanks, i didnt know if it was just ###### up in some way or that u need a godly computer. apparenlty the godly computer is necessary right now.. i can wait for that.

###### off dank, u came in here immediately talking ###### and being a sarcastic ######. troll? ok. if i knew it was just about the specs then id understand that it depended on how good your computer was, not the current version alone.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i'm guessing that most people who are able to play well have video cards with 768-1gig+ memory. anyone?
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793778:date=Aug 12 2010, 11:35 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 12 2010, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm guessing that most people who are able to play well have video cards with 768-1gig+ memory. anyone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For the moment I think its mainly people with high end cards like the GTX275/HD5850 and onwards who are getting decent FPS. So I'd imagine the amount of vram could be a factor.

I'm on a HD5850 with a rather old Q6600 at 3.4GHz (I had a E8500 at 4GHz that gave better fps) and I average about 35-40fps on high at 1680x1050.

I'll be cheeky and bet that once the game is in late beta and about to finalize, everyone's FPS should be doubled.
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    Its not so much about what rig you got.
    Its more about the ALPHA stage of the game.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    thanks for your input. smells like a flaming troll. your post helped me out very well.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793782:date=Aug 12 2010, 11:58 PM:name=Baron_Bad_Egg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baron_Bad_Egg @ Aug 12 2010, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793782"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thanks for your input. smells like a flaming troll. your post helped me out very well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My goodness, you certainly do know how to win over people don't you.

The game is an alpha. If you can't play it then perhaps you should wait until they've applied extra special chocolaty polish to the engine. Until then stop trolling the forums!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1793780:date=Aug 12 2010, 06:45 PM:name=BRICE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BRICE @ Aug 12 2010, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its not so much about what rig you got.
    Its more about the ALPHA stage of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's definitely about the rig you've got right now, since if you turn on r_stats in-game you'll notice that the engine is buffering several hundred megs of polygon and texture data. if you can't fit that all on the video card you have to perform relatively expensive fetches from either system RAM or even worse, HDD.
    <!--quoteo(post=1793784:date=Aug 13 2010, 12:15 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 13 2010, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's definitely about the rig you've got right now, since if you turn on r_stats in-game you'll notice that the engine is buffering several hundred megs of polygon and texture data. if you can't fit that all on the video card you have to perform relatively expensive fetches from either system RAM or even worse, HDD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah this. I've played games by myself where I have spammed hydras and had over 1,500,000 primitives (was over 370 models on screen), with over 1800 draw calls.

But for now, vram is pretty important. On high at 1680x1050 for me it uses 968mb.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    i have an ancient computer and it runs it passably. a beast won't sort anything at this stage.
  • TunisTunis Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73242Members
    I have not the best pc in the world and yet I can turn the beast without too much problem in hight (of course not in 1920*1080 but in 1024*768) and I turn around an average of 50-60 fps ...
    (E7400@2.8Ghz, 4GB ram, GTS 250-1024 ram)

so yes online was unplayable now because of lag, but you can still get an idea of the bugs encountered even if it lag.

yes you will not kill the guy in front, but it does not matter that this is an alpha and we are here for debugging not playing ;)

when the beta will come you can kick up a fuss that it's not playable, until you do like everyone else you wait the next patch ;)
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793774:date=Aug 12 2010, 06:28 PM:name=Baron_Bad_Egg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baron_Bad_Egg @ Aug 12 2010, 06:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how are people playing this then?

a bug is a tad different than non-playable. go be useless elsewhere<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who said alpha would be playable? Look up definitions. You paid to have a playable released game. You'll get it, in time. If you opt to help in the alpha, do so... but you don't have to.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793770:date=Aug 12 2010, 05:24 PM:name=Baron_Bad_Egg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baron_Bad_Egg @ Aug 12 2010, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yea, so apparently people ARE able to play this game to report bugs. do you just have ungodly computers that take 3 backup generators or what? cuz im a tad pissed i spent extra money on this game and no matter how high or low the settings are it just lags like massive hell.

i dont really understand the order u went in updating the game... making sure u can connect to the server then.. making it playable? why connect to a server if u cant move w.o lagging to the point of having a seizure? i<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you might be confusing network lag with FPS "lag".
    The rubber-banding or "seizure" symptoms your experiencing are network related.

On the other facet of things, the needing a "godly" computer is not even really the case. Even a top-of-the-line PC is going to have a lower FPS in NS2 than it would in a game like Crysis right now. It's going to take time to optimize the game.

Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the difference between the two very different issues.

Also, if you didn't want members of this form to be sarcastic and condescending, I would recommend making your initial post more constructive, rather than ranting about how you spent so much money to play Alpha. We all spent the extra money to get it, and I don't think enough people who did understood what they were getting into.

You give any grief to this community and your probably going to get it back 10 fold.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793799:date=Aug 12 2010, 08:38 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Aug 12 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even a top-of-the-line PC is going to have a lower FPS in NS2 than it would in a game like Crysis right now. It's going to take time to optimize the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes exactly the comment i made back in the engine test. That Crysis runs better on my computer then NS2.

Would anyone care to estimate how many videocards are in Max's computer :P
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793804:date=Aug 12 2010, 07:47 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Aug 12 2010, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes exactly the comment i made back in the engine test. That Crysis runs better on my computer then NS2.

Would anyone care to estimate how many videocards are in Max's computer :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, you don't need 60fps to test a game. A smooth FPS is really just a luxury. You can squish bugs at 15fps just as well as you could at 100. It's just not as pleasing to the eye. hehe
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Not especially good, it runs playable albeit a bit laggily on medum for me, the PC was top of the line when I bought it but that was 3 years ago.

It's likely more to do with the fact that it hasn't been tested on lots of different computers, which is why the alpha exists. PCs have very different hardware, so if you report your performance on the bugtracker with a spec for your computer it might help UWE to figure out if any specific components are causing the poor performance.
    <!--quoteo(post=1793807:date=Aug 13 2010, 02:01 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 13 2010, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's likely more to do with the fact that it hasn't been tested on lots of different computers, which is why the alpha exists. PCs have very different hardware, so if you report your performance on the bugtracker with a spec for your computer it might help UWE to figure out if any specific components are causing the poor performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wonder in the future if they will add a benchmark to the build, coupled with a STEAM like survey? **ponders**
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    IDK, really depends I guess. I mean, obviously this is a buggy, unoptimized alpha, but you don't really need a beastly computer to have it run. My computer probably runs ballpark between $500-$600, and I typically get 20-45fps, sometimes with dips into the teens. I'm guesstimating that near the end of the beta, I should be getting double that framerate at my current settings.

I'm running the game on a 22" Dell IPS @ 1680x1050, high settings, no AA/AF. System is Win7 64, an Intel Core2 E8400 @ 3.9Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM @ 900Mhz, and a 512MB Radeon 4850 stock speeds. Hard drive is a 1TB Western Digital Black edition. Nothing better than a hand picked computer setup tweaked to all hell and back XD
  • rdeverettrdeverett Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72315Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm running the game on a 22" Dell IPS @ 1680x1050, high settings, no AA/AF. System is Win7 64, an Intel Core2 E8400 @ 3.9Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM @ 900Mhz, and a 512MB Radeon 4850 stock speeds. Hard drive is a 1TB Western Digital Black edition. Nothing better than a hand picked computer setup tweaked to all hell and back XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not trying to jack this thread but did you have any problems installing windows 7 with the radeon 4850? I've heard some people end up having some sort of clash between the onboard sound and video and the 4850.
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793783:date=Aug 12 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Aug 12 2010, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My goodness, you certainly do know how to win over people don't you.

The game is an alpha. If you can't play it then perhaps you should wait until they've applied extra special chocolaty polish to the engine. Until then stop trolling the forums!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

im not trying to win people over, this isnt some political bull######. i know politics and they somewhat differ from economics. i was just slightly pissed that i couldnt play a game (or test it) when i was told i could if i gave them 20 extra bucks. i invested and wish to help. i cant help if i cant even play. i was just seeing if this was an issue with everyone.

and trolling? by creating a topic? im pretty sure trolling is going around into a topic with no interest in really talking about what's at hand and more about insulting people. which is about half of this bs on this thread. hopefully tomorrow fixes the lag issues.

i appreciate your sarcasm but u are a ###### moron. they said how the easily the engine would be played. and i cant even test the alpha which, once again, i spent extra money on. ###### off if u're here to talk ######, i was just trying to figure out why i couldnt play a game or test a game i ###### paid to test/play. i have played ns for quite some time. and i have been mis-directed by the devs before. dont u all forget the past so quickly. and, joining the community in '10 really shows how much u really know. ###### off or join some other bandwagon

but thanks for those that gave some advice/answers
  • MercsDragonMercsDragon Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6963Members
    As far as order of debugging goes, people being able to connect would usually be something you'd fix before performance optimization. You want more people able to at least test it out, to generate more fun bugs to squish.
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    I think since the OP's question was answered I'm going to close this. There's little need to be getting so heated on an internet forum.
This discussion has been closed.