NS2 Progress

Comments

• roCosroCos Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67685Members
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Hopefully all those building threads might stop or at least have something else to theory craft about now that we know marines can build again.

Awesome page, really like your style as always.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Thanks for doing this.

Don't know what some of the items mean but I like it - I like it a lot :D
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Occassionally I come across a web site that I think is the most amazing web site ever. Pivotal Tracker is that web site. Thank you so much for showing me this, I love it. I've already emailed all my dev friends telling them they need to check out this site and we need to start using it.

Also I love how open your development is, it's contagious, I wish I could convince more people it is the way to go.
  • spawnyspawny Join Date: 2004-02-12 Member: 26448Members, Constellation
    Surely this post is worthy of a sticky? Some good information on here useful to new comers and people interested!

Great work so far UW, can't wait for the finished product.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice. What 'bout Gorges building now?
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    Fantastic idea guys, well done on having the vision and commitment to develop in public.

And RobB, shame on your for trying to hijack the topic for your petty jihad.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Great idea! It's the best way yet to "keep in toutch" with the fanbase without having to spend time on the forums. Outdoes even tweets by a mile.

Dev communication like it's supposed to be done. But i do predict some early fights on the forum to get some stuff earlyer on that list then others :p (not that it'll work, but still).
  • gr33nf4c3gr33nf4c3 Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71326Members
    That's nice! I like it a lot!

Would it be possible to feed that page with the date where it was last updated/fed with data from the tracker? That would make it easier to check for updates without having to skim the entire list.
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    Awesome, I like this very much, allows us to at least see what is on the agenda.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
  • minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
    Great stuff!

I would recommend adding the legend that Max described on the first page to your new page so people won't have to keep asking, as well as the small bit of information from Comprox on when releases will come out.

Should maybe also add a visible link/icon on your front page so that people will easily see this in the future, perhaps just above the twitter stream?
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    This is nice, I suggested something like this back then (in the type of numerical bars to reprsent progress) but list of worked on issues is awesome.
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    BRAVI, MA VERAMENTE BRAVI RAGAZZI! IO VI STIMO! XD
  • Micke121Micke121 Join Date: 2010-08-07 Member: 73519Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792778:date=Aug 8 2010, 12:12 AM:name=aliasWarlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aliasWarlord @ Aug 8 2010, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BRAVI, MA VERAMENTE BRAVI RAGAZZI! IO VI STIMO! XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792778:date=Aug 7 2010, 11:12 PM:name=aliasWarlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aliasWarlord @ Aug 7 2010, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BRAVI, MA VERAMENTE BRAVI RAGAZZI! IO VI STIMO! XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well said.
  • gobotgobot Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67688Members
    good idea. Keep up the good work :)
  • -ZeN--ZeN- Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72827Members
    This definitely reinforces my already steady confidence in UW, through all the giant discussions that came from both the forums and getsatisfaction.com over the way building things worked now. And I stopped reading after a while because it became sooooo repetitive and I told myself, if UW reads even a little bit of this I know they will think about it and do whats right.

Not to long after we get a tweet "Thinking long and hard about marines, MACs and building. Thanks for the comments everyone! 4 days ago"

And now with the pivitol tracker we get "Allow marines to build" under game-play tasks!!!!

Using getsatisfation.com, and showing us pivitol tracker was a VERY smart decision and I'm really enjoying the community involvement in this game, which will only add to the nostalgia of NS2 in the years to come.

UW rox my sox <3
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    This definitely shakes my confidence in UW as a professional gaming company, after the result from all the giant discussions that came from both the forums and getsatisfaction.com over the way building things worked now. And I stopped reading after a while because it became sooooo repetitive and I told myself, if UW reads even a little bit of this I hope they will think about it and do what's right.

Not too long after, we get a tweet "Thinking long and hard about marines, MACs and building. Thanks for the comments everyone! 4 days ago".

And now with the pivotal tracker we get "Allow marines to build" under game-play tasks!!??

Using getsatisfaction.com, and showing us pivotal tracker may have been a good decision but I'm really worried about the level of say the vocal members of the community have in the shaping of this game, which may only contribute to a decline in the quality of NS2 in the years to come.

UW have shaken my confidence in their commitment to their <i>own original vision</i> of the game. I can only hope that for the things UW fails to deliver, they deliver something of equivalent worth instead. <?3
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1792909:date=Aug 8 2010, 08:11 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 8 2010, 08:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This definitely shakes my confidence in UW as a professional gaming company, after the result from all the giant discussions that came from both the forums and getsatisfaction.com over the way building things worked now. And I stopped reading after a while because it became sooooo repetitive and I told myself, if UW reads even a little bit of this I hope they will think about it and do what's right.

Not too long after, we get a tweet "Thinking long and hard about marines, MACs and building. Thanks for the comments everyone! 4 days ago".

And now with the pivotal tracker we get "Allow marines to build" under game-play tasks!!??

Using getsatisfaction.com, and showing us pivotal tracker may have been a good decision but I'm really worried about the level of say the vocal members of the community have in the shaping of this game, which may only contribute to a decline in the quality of NS2 in the years to come.

UW have shaken my confidence in their commitment to their <i>own original vision</i> of the game. I can only hope that for the things UW fails to deliver, they deliver something of equivalent worth instead. <?3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so gtfo and go become a fan of some company that doesn't listen to its customers at all.
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1792915:date=Aug 8 2010, 08:32 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 8 2010, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so gtfo and go become a fan of some company that doesn't listen to its customers at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you say... fanboy rage?

I'm not going to comment on how you appear a bit dim as you could not tell my post was a <i>direct</i> mockery of the post directly above mine. Oh, wait, that was a comment.
    But it wasn't just a mockery, it was a mirror. If UW had decided to stick with MAC-only building, that's exactly the kind of post that would have arisen (perhaps from that specific person). Well, probably less polite and with more spelling errors.
    It was also a mirror in another sense: that person essentially said <i>"UW is great, because they listened to me."</i>, and to counter that I wrote <i>"UW isn't great, because they didn't listen to me."</i> <b>Both</b> opinions are ludicrous, and I hoped to illustrate that. Too subtle for you, perhaps?
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    I'm quite hopeful still that it'll be tested to make sure the marines can build, while it's in alpha, but that any decision as to whether or not to include it in the final version will either be tested in beta or just chosen by UWE. Whichever way it goes, there'll be people wanting to mod it to change it. Personally I'd like them to err on the side of changing too much since a NS Classic mod for NS2 would (once one of the many that will probably spring up is settled upon) probably be popular anyway, whereas moving the other way for one or two small aspects would be harder to gather popular support for (not necessarily due to it not being good, just due to it not being sufficiently different).

I like Harimau's post (when combined with the one before it - on it's own it'd be odd) but was just writing this anyway.
    That's another thing that confuses me. People want NS2 to be so much like NS1, even though everyone's pretty much in agreement that someone will eventually (probably quickly) make an NS Classic mod.
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    This is seriously awsome. Thanks for allows us this view into the development! - It's heaps exciting to watch and know what is coming!

(Also thanks for clarifying the statuses)
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793050:date=Aug 9 2010, 08:36 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 9 2010, 08:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's another thing that confuses me. People want NS2 to be so much like NS1, even though everyone's pretty much in agreement that someone will eventually (probably quickly) make an NS Classic mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Splitting communities is bad.
    Should we assume that things that are Accepted (done and tested) are included in next patch ?
    <!--quoteo(post=1793056:date=Aug 9 2010, 02:07 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Aug 9 2010, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Splitting communities is bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's called branching out. Or are you against community-produced mods?
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793057:date=Aug 9 2010, 07:08 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Aug 9 2010, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Should we assume that things that are Accepted (done and tested) are included in next patch ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All of the things stated before the "Next Release (Build 151)" will be released with the next update (151).

They will have sorted out the lag issue by the on-coming update because they said they would and that is currently in the 'Started' stage.

Edit:
    They haven't updated it from when they made this page, I guess they are making progress but not really telling us...
    <!--quoteo(post=1793060:date=Aug 9 2010, 09:15 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 9 2010, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's called branching out. Or are you against community-produced mods?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, I recommend you check out forums regarding issue its been voiced at least in 3 different threads

But basicly modding will reduce competitive player base, meaning it can never be large.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    I like it and hope i can play soon the alpha because the memory bug is the most and worst bug i ever had in a alpha/game.
    Its like the day as Battlefield bad company 2 was released and nobody could play because of bad EA server.