NS2 is DOOMED if there is/is no ..... the whining thread

2»

Comments

• gehngehn Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72914Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792380:date=Aug 6 2010, 07:01 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Aug 6 2010, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bunnyhopping is as you have said, a bug. It's an unwanted biproduct of Quake engine movement coding. The development team is introducing it's own movement code in their Spark engine, and knowing their game they are developing new ways of movement for players to take advantage.

To put it nicely, there's been a crap load of whining around bunnyhopping which is a Quake engine related feature. Spark is in no way similar to the Quake engine, it's a different engine with different movement you will have to get used to. You don't go to the Unreal mod or game developers and say "GIVE ME QUAKE STYLE BUNNYHOP!!!!" do you? So this should be no different, again though it's another thing, patience. Until you see and respond to the movement code when it's implemented correctly beta onwards you really can't make a judgement.

As for the second on the list, no FPS player wants to spend their time building stuff by standing still, holding a button waiting to be attacked. Equally no RTS player as a commander wants to build a structure and have it not be built because an FPS player decided not to. The new game dynamic gives FPS players what they want, RTS players what they want. It makes things simpler, easier to understand and the game will flow better. I personally believe the division between the two game styles being clearer now makes the game a lot more appealing, ultimately knowing your role which you did not have before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You say that bunny hopping was unwanted in the Quake engine, yet it was in at least two quake engines after the first one. I think it was something they wanted. I think it is in Quake Live too.

That is one way to see the change to building stuff and a perfectly valid one. But one plus I think to having FPS build is that there is more teamwork and communication needed. Doesn't matter to me which one is done since this is a new game and they can do whatever they want with it. Just pointing it out.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    NS2 is doomed if everyone doesn't continue to taking everything SERIOUSLY.
  • hookuyhookuy Join Date: 2008-07-18 Member: 64660Members
    Wait a second... I won't be satisfied until i got back what i demand! I NEED to get stuck after finishing welding a vent or door... and rush to open console to input a cmd so I can unstuck, while a Skulk take advantage of my situation and bite my butt!!!!

BUT BITTING FTW!!! :D
  • CordycepCordycep Join Date: 2008-04-27 Member: 64171Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792334:date=Aug 6 2010, 08:48 PM:name=Sturmwind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sturmwind @ Aug 6 2010, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it is about time to start to collect all the things that would <!--coloro:#ffff00--><span style="color:#ffff00"><!--/coloro-->most certainly ruin NS2<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Two words, the community. :D
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1792449:date=Aug 6 2010, 10:42 AM:name=gehn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gehn @ Aug 6 2010, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You say that bunny hopping was unwanted in the Quake engine, yet it was in at least two quake engines after the first one. I think it was something they wanted. I think it is in Quake Live too.

That is one way to see the change to building stuff and a perfectly valid one. But one plus I think to having FPS build is that there is more teamwork and communication needed. Doesn't matter to me which one is done since this is a new game and they can do whatever they want with it. Just pointing it out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1(currently; the leftover die hard Players), is a good indication of how many Players actually care about building stuff.

90% Players run off instantly at the Round's Start, or are playing on a Combat Map.

Trust me, when the Marines finally get to buy their own Shotgun/GL Attachment/Flamethrower/Jetpack/HEXO with Dual Miniguns/Welders(yeah nobody will buy these, who the F' Welds teammates?; LOL a jab at NS1 Player mentality), good luck getting them to stare at a RES Nodes HP Bar for 30 seconds "building".

It is the equivalent of grinding in a MMORPG/RPG, it doesn't provide anything. Just more levels that do not make you stronger, that prolongs the longevity of the game or how long you will play.

Its retarted.

My post isn't satire, its the truth.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1792459:date=Aug 6 2010, 01:08 PM:name=Cordycep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cordycep @ Aug 6 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Two words, the community. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<satire>
    You are a horrible troll-face !
    <satire>
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bunnyhopping is neither a bug or exploit, nor is it located in the engine code or particularly difficult for moders to fix if they actually cared to do so.

Sarcasm is poignant and witty; this is a whining thread about whining threads, qualifying perhaps only as uninentional irony.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Satire is inheritly argumentative and meant to stirr discussion. If it's just to ridicule people or opinions then it's defamation or libel. I'm amazed at the people who take offense to serious responses to this piece of 'satire'.

Actually I'm surprised someone would actually post this and dare call it satire at all. This is nothing more than a teenager taking a stab against something they don't like. There is no wit involved, there is hardly any parody. A Modest Proposal is satire. Even <a href="http://jokes.justsick######.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mid-east-political-satiregaza-stripped.jpg" target="_blank">this</a> is satire. The op is just... lame.
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    Just because <satire> is in the title, I'm not sure we want to keep threads that repeat some of the same arguments and troll some of the same people.
This discussion has been closed.