Any NS2 mods getting started?

NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
<div class="IPBDescription">just woundering.</div>Hey im woundering if there is any NS2 mods that is getting started out there??

I know its early, but still soft of intressed to join or start one (i has me ideas.)

Thanks.

Comments

• UrbanConflictUrbanConflict Join Date: 2004-01-01 Member: 24939Members, Constellation
    Needs more Wiki. I hope the NS2 team jumps on this soon. The current one is just... /shivers
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    I think we the modders will have to fill in a good few blanks until things stabilise enough for them to document what they're doing (small team so they probably aren't needing to do much of it as they go)... At least we have more code examples now!
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Age of Empires total conversion, please... If the engine could support a sunlight anyway.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    I've got an idea for an NS2 game mode I'd like to work on, however I really need more of NS2 built before I can start work on it (e.g. Beta). I'm planning on trying to do a silly space shooter thing to get the hang of Lua and the NS2 set up. I'll create a thread for it once I've got something to show.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    i got my idea..not going to say to mutch just to be safe, but ill say..

NS2's FPS+RTS then add RPG.

Think i can get started now if i get the need ppl for it. like models, maps, LUA etc.

Just what we can do now is get the idea in to a working concept.

Doh im more intressed to join one then start on
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791602:date=Aug 4 2010, 08:07 AM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stardog @ Aug 4 2010, 08:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Age of Empires total conversion, please... If the engine could support a sunlight anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought about the idea of making an RTS using spark because A) it looks fantastic - you could pull of some nice stuff and B) it already has some support for RTS (although, in the case of the alpha, i think i would almost rather completely rewrite the RTS elements - it's laggy and buggy and weird, as is).
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Wait a while, I'm sure people that want to recruit for help from the community will post a thread. If they dont' want help from the community you're probably not going to be able to get on their team anyhow!

I'm presuming your thinking the MMO style of RPG rather than the SP style of RPG, you'll have to be careful about how user data is stored (storing client side is dangerous!) if the progression elements are going to be persistant rather than per game. Although I think per game progression with long game times would be a more successful and easy mod to go with! Hmm, that is an interesting thought.
    <!--quoteo(post=1791650:date=Aug 4 2010, 05:08 PM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Aug 4 2010, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait a while, I'm sure people that want to recruit for help from the community will post a thread. If they dont' want help from the community you're probably not going to be able to get on their team anyhow!

I'm presuming your thinking the MMO style of RPG rather than the SP style of RPG, you'll have to be careful about how user data is stored (storing client side is dangerous!) if the progression elements are going to be persistant rather than per game. Although I think per game progression with long game times would be a more successful and easy mod to go with! Hmm, that is an interesting thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sort of.. ill say anyway..

think CoD and BF:BC2 ranking with unlocks with a hint of mmo. (dont want to say to mutch ;P)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    i want a physics sandbox mod, complete with its own mini-mods... i.e. NS2: gmod :P
  • spawnof2000spawnof2000 Join Date: 2007-09-01 Member: 62111Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791658:date=Aug 4 2010, 04:25 PM:name=NeXuZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeXuZ @ Aug 4 2010, 04:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->think CoD and BF:BC2 ranking with unlocks with a hint of mmo. (dont want to say to mutch ;P)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would just be combat all over again
    <!--quoteo(post=1791849:date=Aug 5 2010, 01:43 AM:name=spawnof2000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spawnof2000 @ Aug 5 2010, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would just be combat all over again<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in a sense yes. but then add RTS(commender) to it.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1791602:date=Aug 4 2010, 08:07 PM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stardog @ Aug 4 2010, 08:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Age of Empires total conversion, please... If the engine could support a sunlight anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/" target="_blank">0 A.D.</a> for your needs.

<!--quoteo(post=1791849:date=Aug 5 2010, 07:43 AM:name=spawnof2000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spawnof2000 @ Aug 5 2010, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would just be combat all over again<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You make that sound like a bad thing. ;)

Personally I'd like to see a mod that makes extensive use of the particle system. I've got an idea for a single-player story-driven mod that's in the realm of near-scifi / hallucination / paranormal.
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1791963:date=Aug 5 2010, 10:36 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 5 2010, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I'd like to see a mod that makes extensive use of the particle system. I've got an idea for a single-player story-driven mod that's in the realm of near-scifi / hallucination / paranormal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sounds intresseting.

think ill slap up a website and work on my idea there. then if it gose on i got a site :P.

EDIT: you know what, im going to start on it now. work on my idea, fine tune it and when close to beta/release ill look for ppl i need.
    if it go on to a full mod then so it my be or not.
    <!--quoteo(post=1791963:date=Aug 5 2010, 04:36 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 5 2010, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/" target="_blank">0 A.D.</a> for your needs.

You make that sound like a bad thing. ;)

Personally I'd like to see a mod that makes extensive use of the particle system. I've got an idea for a single-player story-driven mod that's in the realm of near-scifi / hallucination / paranormal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    FEAR? No really, that'd be cool. I like it that people are coming up with lots of different ideas. The mod community for NS2 is gonna be ridiculous, when it finally releases.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I never played F.E.A.R. but it did come to mind. Was it any good? You know, in terms of its depth, story- and character-wise. Also, F.E.A.R. was neither free nor community-driven so I don't think there's a conflict in market share :P.
    I was also thinking of the (probably dead) mod for Source called <a href="http://www.moddb.com/mods/mentality" target="_blank">Mentality</a>. I was really looking forward to that one. :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1792394:date=Aug 6 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 6 2010, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never played F.E.A.R. but it did come to mind. Was it any good? You know, in terms of its depth, story- and character-wise. Also, F.E.A.R. was neither free nor community-driven so I don't think there's a conflict in market share :P.
    I was also thinking of the (probably dead) mod for Source called <a href="http://www.moddb.com/mods/mentality" target="_blank">Mentality</a>. I was really looking forward to that one. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh yes, i remember mentality! I think I tried the alpha/demo once and it seemed pretty cool.

FEAR is pretty good in terms of story and characters. I definitely found it decently immersive the first time I played. Not the absolute best narrative ever, but definitely one of the most unique/weird games I've played. The problem is that it has a number of "shock" horror moments, which are a lot less exciting the second time through.

Yea, I think having community-driven/free games filling in some of these roles would be great. It's just good to see that everyone has so many diverse ideas and plans for what to do with NS2 :)
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Post some of your portfolio.