Natural selection the movie

hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
edited August 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">would you watch it?</div>I know it would never happen but
any ideas for plot or actors or what not?

I'm thinking a sort of starship troopers cross Aliens type of movie.

The end scene would be of a single surviving gorge chuckling in a vent somewhere.

Comments

• NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    omg whats the odds. just watch a fan film..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ydzY9tg5c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ydzY9tg5c</a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H64shu2HGE&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H64shu2HGE...feature=related</a>

Doh, a movie would be awesome.. and just like you said starship trooper cross Aliens.
  • hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
    haha ill check those out when i have time! didnt realise there were any.

But yes an actual blockbuster with like unlimited funds. awesome!
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    Omg EPIC movie!! make more!! xD
  • MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    Problem: characters.

All the characters in the NS universe are generic unlike Halo, and just think about Halo for an instant. They've tried making a movie from it for a long, long time now and have failed.

Conflict and background you've got, but there are no specific characters so thereby you'd have to BS characters going through a situation. Not only that, but NS dudes die and are replenished by new marines from marine ships or other bases? lol... Ya, that's great for character development.

Short movie, good. Reg. movie? NS is terrible material. All the characters/aliens are constantly dying and being replaced, rofl. The only real characters that would stick around would perhaps be the politicians/generals in the NS universe and that would be boring.
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    didnt know that fan made movie was available lol, that was AWSOME!!!!!
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/" target="_blank">http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1791989:date=Aug 5 2010, 08:34 PM:name=MasterPTG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MasterPTG @ Aug 5 2010, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Problem: characters.

All the characters in the NS universe are generic unlike Halo, and just think about Halo for an instant. They've tried making a movie from it for a long, long time now and have failed.

Conflict and background you've got, but there are no specific characters so thereby you'd have to BS characters going through a situation. Not only that, but NS dudes die and are replenished by new marines from marine ships or other bases? lol... Ya, that's great for character development.

Short movie, good. Reg. movie? NS is terrible material. All the characters/aliens are constantly dying and being replaced, rofl. The only real characters that would stick around would perhaps be the politicians/generals in the NS universe and that would be boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont think it would be too hard to get a few characters into the movie. Could possibly have a ship with a squad of marines on board who are setting up an outpost on some type of planet. If anything happens to the crew on the planet who are constructing and exploring then they call for reinforcements and they can arrive from the ship via infantry portal. Character wise just have a few core main characters and a fair few noobies to get themselves killed. To make it more interesting the infantry portal could be destroyed trapping the marines on the planet and thus meaning reinforcements or a rescue would take considerably longer to arrive. Meanwhile our trapped marines go on a bug hunt!
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    I would watch it ofc, and I'm sure most people here would, however a movie is different from a game, and the question is, is there a market for a movie like ns?
    I showed the fan film to some non - ns people and they enjoyed it aswell, so yes I believe there is a market. Just think of Starship Troopers, tons get slaughtered but there are still some main characters who make it trough 3 movies.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    there is a star trek fan made movie 'Of Gods and Men (2007)' by renegade-studios

if there's gonna be an NS movie then it will be something like that
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791981:date=Aug 5 2010, 11:57 AM:name=hartraft)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hartraft @ Aug 5 2010, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know it would never happen but
    a) would you watch it?
    b) how much would you pay?

I'm thinking a sort of starship troopers cross Aliens type of movie.

The end scene would be of a single surviving gorge chuckling in a vent somewhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a) Like every movies, i'd watch it if its well done and not boring.

b) dude u aware cinemas got prices range ? idem for DVD always 20 30 € and after a few month its 10€.
    <!--quoteo(post=1791998:date=Aug 5 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Paranoyak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paranoyak @ Aug 5 2010, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a) Like every movies, i'd watch it if its well done and not boring.

b) dude u aware cinemas got prices range ? idem for DVD always 20 30 € and after a few month its 10€.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes i am aware of that :p

Im just saying if there someone offered you a one time chance of watching a good quality full movie of natural selection would you be willing to pay say...$100??

I'm just curious whether people would watch a movie or whether it's just the gaming aspect they like
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791989:date=Aug 5 2010, 01:34 PM:name=MasterPTG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MasterPTG @ Aug 5 2010, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Problem: characters.

Short movie, good. Reg. movie? NS is terrible material. All the characters/aliens are constantly dying and being replaced, rofl. The only real characters that would stick around would perhaps be the politicians/generals in the NS universe and that would be boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously we dont want "first rate poop" hollywood does, masses may enjoy high budget films with ###### action but if you want story you need to check asian side they'll make one from anything. Should movie of NS be made I think it would be more for NS fans thus adding few interesting real-life personalities from competitive would give some interesting inviduals and guaranteed drama. Infact theres a "Which category do you belong" on the ENSL site.

<a href="http://www.ensl.org/articles/444" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/articles/444</a> Check it out its quite cool
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Considering it came out in the seventies and I watched it plenty of times, yes.
    <!--quoteo(post=1792010:date=Aug 5 2010, 11:11 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 5 2010, 11:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering it came out in the seventies and I watched it plenty of times, yes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

movie title would be good :)
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    So you need to come up with a few characters, big deal. I'd use the fact that there are generic marines to our advantage - by having lots of them.

All you need to do is come up with some militairy brass you won't see 95% of the movie (all these movies have those), and 1 hero known only as "The commander". Sort of how in the C&C cut scenes you are always adressed as "Commander" and never given a name. The kharaa would have either a queen or a hive mind. You can make the story go as war rages all over the universe (with some nice shots of different planets with battles), the best of the best commanders is beeing sent deep into kharaa space to try and eliminate the source of the problem.

In the movie itself, the generic marines can build as beeing a mechanic is simply engineered into their genes, making each one an honorary member of the A-team (genetic engineering ftw!). They'll build the buildings and hunt the kharaa while trying to locate "the source". Many die, many are replaced (just like int he game), hives are taken down (have 1 "grow back" during the movie, so they take that one out first and last :p), then they find what they belive to be the kharaa's origin and infect it with some custom virus.

They fight to get out and barely escape, celebrate on the way home, to find that they haven't eradicated the kharaa, they just made them angry. And then they realise.... there is no source. It won't end untill every single gorge is killed.....

For the final shot the camera then pans to the vent behind them on the ship, in which 2 yellow eyes pop up and a gorge chuckle is heard before it fades to black.

I'd watch it ^^
  • CrystalSnakeCrystalSnake Join Date: 2002-01-27 Member: 110Members
    The movie would have to be in 3D, like Avatar.
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    There's no detailed lore or characters the movie would be based on. It would end up being a cheesy rip-off of Aliens. Some games should just stay games - hello facepalm Doom movie.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1792149:date=Aug 5 2010, 04:41 PM:name=QuadLMGkill)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QuadLMGkill @ Aug 5 2010, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's no detailed lore or characters the movie would be based on. It would end up being a cheesy rip-off of Aliens. Some games should just stay games - hello facepalm Doom movie.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking of Doom and bad adaptions, say hello to the most epic comic you'll find on the internet: <a href="http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/" target="_blank">http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/</a>
    Go down to "Rip and Tear!" to read the comic in all its glory.
    Honestly, you guys have to read this.

On topic: No Natural Selection will never be suitable for a movie, ever. I can imagine machinimas (I'd really like to see "Six Days in Sanji" made into one) but never a real movie with actors and CGI and whatnot.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    The movie starts out with short clips of scientist, government officials, TSA soldiers, etc. all talking about the recent first kharaa attack. There's a lot of lines like "We aren't sure what happened" "They're saying the attackers weren't human" and "The entire station is lost".

Then it switches to a TSA investigation of a station that has recently lost communication. The entire crew is missing. They soon find kharaa and it turns into a full on 2 hour long action scene. No nonsense storytelling, just nonstop ass kickery as new frontiersmen phase in to replace each of the fallen and the aliens just keep coming. The only character you have time to learn anything about is the commander, and that stops at his name and personality. Control goes back and forth as the fight rages throughout the entire station until finally one side backs the other into a corner, almost assured victory. Then the losing side makes a crazy comeback to win and end the movie. Depending on who we wanted to win, that could go a lot of different ways. Losing marine base, just to do a crazy siege from a vent. Marines taking out the hive, only to realize a hive went up without them knowing, followed by the onos's first appearance as he decimates the marine start in all of 30 seconds.

The final scene could be very similar to opening scene, except now everyone's talking about this new loss.
  • BrokenIceBrokenIce Join Date: 2010-06-18 Member: 72090Members
    edited August 2010
    A lot of people are saying that because there aren't any main characters and no really big story it won't be a good movie. Honestly, I think because there aren't any characters and much story development that it would be easier for writers to come up with an amazing movie. They aren't restricted to much cannon lore. It is like an open canvas that any really skilled painter can make an amazing masterpiece. =D

EDIT: They have the base and the overall idea and it is up to them to tweak things to the way they like. The IP can be sorta how in Stargate the Goa'uld (I think it's them) transport people from their mother ship to the place they want to be. The marines need to build the IP in order for the transporter to work.

Also, the marine team doesn't have to be in masses. They can be a Special Forces unit. That way you can have 6 people on the marine team going onto a far away planet to fix whatever mechanical devices needed to be fixed. They go into the objective point where they find civilian refugees hiding in one of the futuristic deserted bases. They need medical aid and such so they Special Forces unit build IPs and such for more backup. They construct armories and all types of tech because they realize they are going to be there for a while. Also, their ship isn't able to fly over head due to some severe electromagnetic device that they need to repair in order for their ship to fly in.

More EDIT: Also, the reinforcements they get are just simple scrub marines who are there to protect the civilians. The special forces unit have to go out and disable that electromagnetic problem when they find out the infestation is whats causing the problem. The only way to clear the infestation is by destroying the hive. The Special Forces unit needs to get resources and such but they are all destroyed. So they go on out trying to build these resource hubs, while the scrub marines are protecting the civilians.

Dang... I am liking where I am going with this thing.

Another EDIT: For the Kharaa, that is easy. The hive keeps spawning eggs. They can respawn easily because well they are aliens. The Kharaa are hungry and they are trying to protect their hive. The reason for them placing the hive over there is because well it is dark damp and when the infestation caused the malfunction that caused the electromagnetic field it keeps away people from flying over head.

Blah! IDK! I am no story writer. Sure is fun pulling stuff outa my ass though.

ionno man. They can come up with a lot of stuff. This is just stuff I am blirting out.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Personally i think it should be a saturday morning cartoon. Hmmm instead of "swiper no swiping" it would be "skulky no biting".
  • MercsDragonMercsDragon Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6963Members
    it would have the strangest love scene ever, 8 marines and 1 armory.
  • EyelessEyeless Join Date: 2010-02-01 Member: 70391Members
    Theres not even a single player. Obviously story isn't a big issue. The movie would be terrible. Probably not much better then those horrible fan films.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1791989:date=Aug 5 2010, 06:34 PM:name=MasterPTG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MasterPTG @ Aug 5 2010, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only real characters that would stick around would perhaps be the politicians/generals in the NS universe and that would be boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Boring? Don't be a ######. That would make an awesome film. I'm a huge fan of political intrigues.
    But then it's a matter of expectations, so no, with a hard sci-fi action shooter like NS, you'd expect something in the same vein, and that's not this.

However, you could just BS some characters and a plot as you said, but no, it wouldn't be bad. Because look at it this way, this way you're not really ####ing with the source material, because there's not exactly any source material to #### with.