So many servers... So few players...

2»

Comments

• blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Yeah mostly because of the lag issues. By the way is it me or are you unable to scroll down in the commander interface?
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    It's far too laggy to play, you have to be Lerk or have grenades to kill efficiently, but the game is more or less over when marines have grenades anyways. Together with hitbox issues and players falling through the maps, it's far too frustrating to playtest in its current state. Look forward to them fixing lag/hitbox issues.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I'm sure after another week of no players that we will officially be entering "Beta" stage (not because the game has dramatically improved,... but rather to get more players online in general).
  • SunshineKillerSunshineKiller Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72752Members
    I jump in a game at least once a day for 30 minutes, thats about all I can take until they fix the fps lag and the network lag issues. I have tons of fun while I am in it. I just start to get sick from the lag. Then I join a ns1 server ;)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I'll play again when the next patch is released.

Once there is some more content and the hit boxes work I will play regularly.
  • SnazzSnazz Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62482Members
    edited August 2010
    Despite the various issues It's 'playable' as far as my definition goes. I've been on it for hours each day since it was released and have had many good matches.

Usually people try and rush and often they succeed however long matches also occur. Teamwork and tactics prevail even when both sides are just spraying each other with nades and spores.

So if a seemingly 'broken' game can be this fun for me I can't imagine how awesome it will be when it improves.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    ^ I agree it's going to be amazing!
  • crakinshotcrakinshot Join Date: 2010-07-06 Member: 72271Members
    As everyone else has said, its unplayable. Hopefully it'll regain steam when its finished and released.
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    edited August 2010
    since its not playable AT ALL for me, lagging, not hittign anything, strangely i'd rather play pong or tetris :S

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what Snazz said<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ahahah its an extremyly lagging game with only 10% weapons are doing something (and its just spamming AE cast on the ground hoping they stay in it)
    dude, even the engine test was better.

wait for the anti lag anti bugs update, then you can really have fun. (or maybe u never tried any game ? :s)
  • SnazzSnazz Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62482Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790741:date=Aug 3 2010, 05:33 AM:name=Paranoyak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paranoyak @ Aug 3 2010, 05:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ahahah its an extremyly lagging game with only 10% weapons are doing something (and its just spamming AE cast on the ground hoping they stay in it)
    dude, even the engine test was better. wait for the anti lag anti bugs update, then you can really have fun. (or maybe u never tried any game ? :s)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I didn't say it wasn't laggy, I said it's playable as far as I'm concerned and I've been enjoying it.

Why you'd have a problem with that is beyond me, jealously maybe?
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    Ja, i've been on the servers a few times, reported anything noteworthy at getsatisfaction and am now waiting for the next patch.
    thats how it is supposed to be, i guess.

anyway, the look and feel is exciting - if they can handle the engine problems, this is going to be a great game and we won't have to write off our 40 USD venture capital ;-)
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited August 2010
    Who wants to play a game with 5-15 fps. Until they fix it, there wont be many playing. The day a patch come that makes it available to run it at 100 fps, I'd play it, no matter how bad anything else it. I just can't stand lag. I doubt it will be fixed even in beta, maybe in final. I guess 40 fps max at final 1.0, and it will be a f*ing breakthrough for UWE.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Bad performance. Not fun to play atm.
  • SM0k3SM0k3 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72938Members
    edited August 2010
    There are still people who can't even run the game still, that on top of what others have mentioned like lag, & serious frame rate issues which severely limits as to what you can test in that type of environment.

The important thing is most of the bugs have been reported so the majority of us are just waiting for that miracle patch.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    I play the alpha an hour a day or so, but I usually get annoyed by the low FPS and just general laggyness. I'm just waiting for a patch that makes it a bit more enjoyable to play.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    Server saturation and low player-to-server ratio has been a growing problem with games these days. In TF2 the server:player ratio is like 1:2.6 - meaning one server for every 2 and a half players. CS:S is way way worse the last time I remember checking, something like 1:0.9 or lower.

Every yahoo wants to put up a server, so players are spread far and wide.
  • Jack_DanielsJack_Daniels Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72567Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790865:date=Aug 2 2010, 09:18 PM:name=msleeper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (msleeper @ Aug 2 2010, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server saturation and low player-to-server ratio has been a growing problem with games these days. In TF2 the server:player ratio is like 1:2.6 - meaning one server for every 2 and a half players. CS:S is way way worse the last time I remember checking, something like 1:0.9 or lower.

Every yahoo wants to put up a server, so players are spread far and wide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I will never put up a server. This is my vow to the community.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1790838:date=Aug 2 2010, 08:41 PM:name=Mahmutti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mahmutti @ Aug 2 2010, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play the alpha an hour a day or so, but I usually get annoyed by the low FPS and just general laggyness. I'm just waiting for a patch that makes it a bit more enjoyable to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah same here.

Its _unplayable_ at the moment.
  • QUADQUAD Join Date: 2002-07-17 Member: 963Members
    edited August 2010
    Long story short, some of us with beasts of computers can run the game pretty well now and are having some fun, and most of us (including myself) can't run it well yet, but probably will be able to do so within the confines of the coming patches. I really can't understand all this hostility. NS2 is already functioning an order of magnitude better than it was before the first patch. I see no reason to expect things will not continue to run smoother as they are worked on.

Have some faith in Flayra and co.! Do the older among you not remember how laggy NS 1.0 was for most of us, and how quickly such problems were addressed?

For those of you who were not around for those times: I assure you, problems of this nature were addressed very quickly, and community feedback was never ignored. We have been given no evidence to believe UW's attitude has changed. Have patience, and trust that this team will do their absolute best to earn the money you gave them. You won't be disappointed.
  • ExroathExroath Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72441Members
    Im giving it 2 weeks till i try it again, just so the main problems should be ironed out by then.
    Frame rate atm is fine on my rig , connection problems however are still constant (might be my side)
    Other than that i really dont join games to play.. im more of a bug hunter atm lol
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I really want to play it, even to find bugs, but it is simply unplayable for me. At all.

NS1 has been the centerpiece of my gaming habits since 2002, and I want desperately for NS2 to succeed, but I can't drop hundreds of dollars on a new PC so I can adequately play A $40 game.
  • Jack_DanielsJack_Daniels Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72567Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791052:date=Aug 3 2010, 12:17 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Aug 3 2010, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really want to play it, even to find bugs, but it is simply unplayable for me. At all.

NS1 has been the centerpiece of my gaming habits since 2002, and I want desperately for NS2 to succeed, but I can't drop hundreds of dollars on a new PC so I can adequately play A $40 game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What are you guys playing with? My pc was 1100 a year ago and that includes my 23 inch 1080p monitor.
  • CarbonSnackCarbonSnack Join Date: 2004-09-24 Member: 31898Members
    Simply put, there isn't much to test at this point. Since the game is in a more-or-less unplayable state at the moment, testing for bugs is pretty much the only reason to start up the client. And all of the major (and I'm sure most of the minor) bugs have been reported thrice-over by now.

Once the next build drops with a new round of bug fixes / features, we'll all have a reason to jump back into the game.