Appreciation

TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
I'd like to say that I am glad to be able to be apart of this. I think when something like this comes along sometimes we forget exactly what it is we are doing. I mean we are playing a role in helping them create something we all love, this is a good experience and it will be great slowly seeing the development that we are helping them achieve. Now I know our roles aren't huge but it's something and again it just feels good to know I am, and the rest of us are apart of something that has united us through our love and loyalty to NS/UW.

Comments

• Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    Agreed

I finally got my first taste of NS2 last night and walked away impressed. I've done some betas in the past but this is my first alpha so unlike some around here, I wasn't expecting a fully functional game. It delivered more or less what I wanted... and sneak peak of things to come. The level design was impressive, the amount of detail really showed the designs hard work. The graphics and animations, although choppy and slightly buggy, still looked good and left me craving for a final product. My sound unfortunately still retained that sound loop bug from the engine test so I was playing on mute.

I noticed alot of threads complaining about gameplay this and control that... people... you can't even shoot a moving target at this stage... save your balancing comments for when the game is playable.

Can't wait to see this game evolve (no pun intended) into the monster that it surely will become.

Good work UWE.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1789333:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:55 AM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 30 2010, 05:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... and the rest of us are apart of something that has united us through our love and loyalty to NS/UW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not being snobbish but, "a part" and "apart" mean two entirely different things.

To be a part of something means "being involved."

To be apart of something means "being separated."

These are opposites.

I want to refudiate this just like Sarah Palin would. ;) (Joking... google the word "refudiate" if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Other good ones:

<b>"Their" and "there". </b>You can ALWAYS get this right if you will remember that "there" has the word, "here" in it, which refers to a place. "Here and there." So, any time you are referring to a locative position, use "there". "Go over there." "Who is that over there?" etc.

"Their" is used in all other instances, such as, "That is their car, not ours."

<b>Bear and bare.</b> Easy one to get mixed up with. I remember it like this, "bare" usually means to get naked! Or (more appropriately) when someone says, "the sand feels great on my "bare" skin. "Flayra bares all", could either mean that he is going to tell us everything or that he is going to do a little dance involving a certain pole...

Now, "bear" is the one you're looking for when you ask people to "bear with you". Do not get these confused unless you want someone to "bare" with you!! EEP! (Bear means to endure, to have patience with, or to carry... etc.)

<b>"Your and you're"</b> is one that people still confuse easily. I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "Honk if your horny." To which I responded, "Honk if my horny does what?" "You're" means "You Are". "Your" is possessive.

Not that you asked for an English lesson or anything...

Cheers,
    Cody

P.S. This is what happens when you're bored at work.
  • japijapi Join Date: 2008-01-27 Member: 63507Members, Constellation
    I was impressed how fast the first patch got released and how many of the issues i noticed were fixed (port binding, reconnect loop on full servers.. to name my favorite ones ^^)

Hats off! :-)
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789503:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:31 PM:name=DarkATi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkATi @ Jul 30 2010, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not being snobbish but, "a part" and "apart" mean two entirely different things.

These are opposites.

I want to refudiate this just like Sarah Palin would. ;) (Joking... google the word "refudiate" if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Other good ones:

<b>"Their" and "there". </b>You can ALWAYS get this right if you will remember that "there" has the word, "here" in it, which refers to a place. "Here and there." So, any time you are referring to a locative position, use "there". "Go over there." "Who is that over there?" etc.

<b>Bear and bare.</b> Easy one to get mixed up with. I remember it like this, "bare" usually means to get naked! Or (more appropriately) when someone says, "the sand feels great on my "bare" skin. "Flayra bares all", could either mean that he is going to tell us everything or that he is going to do a little dance involving a certain pole...

Now, "bear" is the one you're looking for when you ask people to "bear with you". Do not get these confused unless you want someone to "bare" with you!! EEP! (Bear means to endure, to have patience with, or to carry... etc.)

<b>"Your and you're"</b> is one that people still confuse easily. I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "Honk if your horny." To which I responded, "Honk if my horny does what?" "You're" means "You Are". "Your" is possessive.

Cheers,
    Cody

P.S. This is what happens when you're bored at work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Not that you asked for an English lesson or anything..."

TL:DR.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789503:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:31 PM:name=DarkATi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkATi @ Jul 30 2010, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not being snobbish but, "a part" and "apart" mean two entirely different things.

To be apart of something means "being separated."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

n.b. a part and apart differ by one space....typo perhaps?
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1789531:date=Jul 30 2010, 12:14 PM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Jul 30 2010, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->n.b. a part and apart differ by one space....typo perhaps?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It certainly could have been a typo. I was really just typing all of that out for fun. No offense intended toward the O.P. None whatsoever.

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and they did the same thing on their program. "Thanks for being apart of our special day!"

I roffle-tacoed a little bit over that one. They basically said, "Thanks for NOT being a part of our special day!" with that typo / whatever.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    would have to be apart from, apart of makes no sense. Hence why that's most likely a typo too.
  • Magical Pony PrincessMagical Pony Princess Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73317Members
    Thank you dev team!
  • HashashinHashashin Join Date: 2010-04-15 Member: 71416Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789503:date=Jul 30 2010, 04:31 PM:name=DarkATi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkATi @ Jul 30 2010, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not being snobbish but, "a part" and "apart" mean two entirely different things.

These are opposites.

Other good ones:

Cheers,
    Cody

P.S. This is what happens when you're bored at work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The plural of moose is moose, take that.
  • UmezawaUmezawa Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72772Members
    So in the end Mark Twain was wrong:

It should have been "The Awful English Language" and not "The Awful German Language" :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1789600:date=Jul 30 2010, 02:01 PM:name=Hashashin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hashashin @ Jul 30 2010, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The plural of moose is moose, take that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Brian Regan says that it is "Moosen". "I saw a flock of moosen!!"

Roffle. Tacos.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Can we put an end to the grammar lesson now? It's smug and unnecessary.

Thanks for your words of support, TheGivingTree. Quite a few of the team reads the forums, and it's nice to get messages like this.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1789707:date=Jul 30 2010, 03:59 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Jul 30 2010, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can we put an end to the grammar lesson now? It's smug and unnecessary.

Thanks for your words of support, TheGivingTree. Quite a few of the team reads the forums, and it's nice to get messages like this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I figured it would be viewed as such but it wasn't intended to be smug, just entertaining. (Albeit, off topic.)

But enough of that, sorry to thread hijack.

I would also like to thank the developers for their hard work and patience with such an unruly mob as we are. ;)

Keep up the good work guys.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1789333:date=Jul 30 2010, 12:55 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 30 2010, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to say that I am glad to be able to be apart of this. I think when something like this comes along sometimes we forget exactly what it is we are doing. I mean we are playing a role in helping them create something we all love, this is a good experience and it will be great slowly seeing the development that we are helping them achieve. Now I know our roles aren't huge but it's something and again it just feels good to know I am, and the rest of us are apart of something that has united us through our love and loyalty to NS/UW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, yeah. I appreciate it to be given the chance to be part of it, but right now I'm worried.
    I think you know why. We'll see how it works out and what flayra has to say when the more pressing problems are addressed.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789503:date=Jul 30 2010, 11:31 AM:name=DarkATi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkATi @ Jul 30 2010, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not being snobbish but, "a part" and "apart" mean two entirely different things.

These are opposites.

Other good ones:

Cheers,
    Cody

That was actually kind of helpful, although the your and you're thing I already know I just don't care about, but the rest are helpful especially the tricks like bare (naked) and there (here). Now apart I had no idea about haha.
    edited July 2010
    And just to add to what I said earlier and to some of your post, NS well at least for me has been the best online gaming experience I have encountered and trust me I have spent a LOT of time with online games. So to be apart of this, and watching the game slowly develop is just an awesome thing to be a part of. It would sort of like being a stage crew to one of your favorite bands, where your not really a part of the band, but your still with them and helping the shows come together for all the people and yourselves, I mean you get the idea.

RobB I am not entirely sure what your talking about, I remember seeing your post but I can't really recall what they were about. But that is the beauty of this, we are here at a time when things can still change, or be developed, so if you really are worried or concerned about something then express it the best you can giving as much detail explaining why it should be that way and as we've seen before they actually do listen to the fans. Also keep in mind they have an idea of what they want for this game and how it should be so I'm betting some things just won't change but again, we weren't a part of NS1 which in scope won't be as large as NS2 but we all saw how well that turned out so, really ain't that much to worry about.
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    Hey, um... you did that "apart" thing again. ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1789955:date=Jul 31 2010, 02:38 AM:name=shad3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shad3r @ Jul 31 2010, 02:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey, um... you did that "apart" thing again. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huh? No I didn't I typed it a part this time..unless I missed one, I know I consciously checked as I was typing and noticed that I typed two as, a part..unless like I said I missed one?
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789798:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:42 AM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 31 2010, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So to be apart of this, and watching the game slowly develop is just an awesome thing to be a part of.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

;)
    Ah damn.. he must slide by me! It was like a damned skulk I tells ya! a skulk skulking in the shadows!
  • FlashFlash Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1783Members, Constellation
    After a small amount of time in the alpha the atmosphere in the game is incredible. Climbing up to some hidey hole and spying on the marines brought back the feeling from playing NS1 and the dynamic lighting in the engine is just beautiful.

It's going to be very exciting seeing it come together over the next months.
  • Bl4ckH4wkBl4ckH4wk Join Date: 2009-07-21 Member: 68216Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Typing on the internet is siriuz bizniz.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree.

I remember the first time i played NS with some fellows on a LAN and was forever sold at it.
    That time there was this sneaky NS flash-website (i wonder what has happened to it?) and it just was a pleasure watching the ns-intro-trailer over and over again.
    Then i lost my half-life key and just bought a new one to play ns again.

I really must say, they have programed themselves in my heart with this game.