Official Starcraft 2 Names thread

Comments

• InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    One.Three : North America
    One.Once : North America.

ill be glad to play with anyone, send me a message.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Dirty Euro

thaldarin.thaldarin
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Updated the names list. If you've started playing recently, post your names here!

--Scythe--
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Looks like blizz removed the identifier.

Patch 13 made all hell break loose.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Yep, they've wiped the player DB again. It's going to happen again in the near future too. They've also removed the "name.name" setup and now everything's realid, which seems silly.

--Scythe--
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    edited July 2010
    Threadromancy! The game is out now, and Databases probably won't be purged again now. Here's hoping that 6john (or a friendly admin!) will redo the list in the first post.

I'll start this off.

Charactername: Diogenes
    Number: 311

..Oh yeah, and I'm on Europe.
  • HeliosHelios Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33105Members, Constellation
    Europe,
    Helios.218

<3 zerg
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
  • NecroNecro &lt;insert non-birthday-related title here&gt; Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    sherpa.718

Europe.
  • JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    Jimmeh.120 on Europe.
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    Europe
    Retales.546
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    edited August 2010
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2010
    NA Server

Tigersmith.327

or tigersmith@gmail.com

Mid Level Diamond player right now. have not played that much of 1v1 im about 45 and 30 or something like that in diamond. I do need alot of practice so i can get to the high level play. Thats what im working on right now.
  • JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    Got a NA account as well now if anyone there fancies a game. Jimmeh.328
  • SamaseSamase Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67597Members
    Samase / 538 / Europe
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    narfwak at yahoo dot com

NA server, haven't played ladder much yet; just hunting them nerd points with some friends

feel free to estalk me in WoW if you know me, kek
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    update: im in diamond now finally have been it for a about a week. Platinum was very easy to hit #1, was it for about 3 days and got promoted. im a mid level diamond player right now. im looking to improve so i can get deep in some tourneys.
    Taken my first baby steps into the multiplayer with 2 ladder placement matches.

Whilst watching VoDs helps it's no replacment for the real thing.

Any critique would really be welcome.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?zkwcj4pgyte30ae" target="_blank">1</a>

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?kc2ezmf9m25acfq" target="_blank">2</a>

I know these low-skilled games aren't the best to judge, but advice is welcome.

Cheers.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Bacillus.833 in Europe.

I'm playing toss/random at platinium right now, probably going to diamond pretty quickly if I keep playing. If you want to play some practice matches or discuss strategies, go ahead and drop me a msg. I especially could use some folks that play outside the most crowded evening hours when my connection is rather spiky.
    Hey guys do you concider baneling bust to be a cheese tactic? I'm playing platinum atm and that's the only tactic I feel confident executing. Without the early pressure I just feel I might face a banshee, reaper, or face a 200/200 terran army eventually which ill lose to. Even mmm feels incredibly hard to beat for me as zerg.
    From the little I know of SC, "cheese strat" seems to mean "I didn't counter your strat".

If there's a strategy that works for you then I say use it, absolutely.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797543:date=Sep 4 2010, 06:57 PM:name=pallie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pallie @ Sep 4 2010, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys do you concider baneling bust to be a cheese tactic? I'm playing platinum atm and that's the only tactic I feel confident executing. Without the early pressure I just feel I might face a banshee, reaper, or face a 200/200 terran army eventually which ill lose to. Even mmm feels incredibly hard to beat for me as zerg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nah, I don't think it's a cheese by any means. It's a high-risk strategy, but in no way a cheese. Cheesing would be something like 6 pool or proxy hatch inside the enemy base, basically something that's hoping your enemy doesn't do a certain build or see your very early intentions in time. Baneling bust on the other hand is very scoutable (hell, terrans even have the scanning possibility), doesn't rely on terran doing any specific build and it isn't necessarily even close to all-in, depending on the exact build you use.

If terran is walling off with supplys instead of rax+fac combo, he better count in the possibility of banelings. Terrans have got such a safe early game anyway, it's not like they've got too much to worry about.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1796948:date=Aug 30 2010, 06:43 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Aug 30 2010, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1796948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know these low-skilled games aren't the best to judge, but advice is welcome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Top 3 improvements in Game 1:

1) Build more probes. At 4:12 to 5:13 you made no probes. It's probably because you forgot. A good tip is to always just press the hotkeys on your nexus / gateways, etc (I see you use 4 and 5, or "w" when you get warpgates) when you aren't doing much. If you were doing that you would have seen you weren't making probes and zealots.

2) You floated lots of cash. The tip above can help you to macro but it's still important, if you're going to one base like that, to have a decent amount of gateways and to always have them producing units. Be careful of queuing as well. Money spent in a queue is basically money wasted.

3) Your tech choice was poor. You scouted and saw lings only with no anti air except queens. An immortal is an inferior choice to either void rays, colossus, or charge upgrade. Also, it's pretty rare and placement matches usually have really bad players, but if you notice no detection going for dark templar is an instant win. A zerg needs a lair for detection and he didn't make an effort to get one.

Some nice things:

1) Really nice sim city / building placement. I can tell you've watched a lot of replays.

2) Nice use of chronoboost early on but don't forget it's there in the mid/late game.

Top 3 things in Game 2. without trying to repeat myself (aka make more probes!):

1) Although a great wall off in game 1, don't think a wall off is something you should do every round. In PvT or PvP you may not want to wall off. Especially on Desert Oasis blink stalkers can be extremely annoying. If you wall off you just created a huge and unneeded vulnerability for yourself and fast moving units could really cause you some pain (reapers, blink stalkers) as the enemy bounces between your mineral line and front wall off.

2) Your scouting, and then the information you do with that scouting, isn't too hot. For example, you've made this army composition twice regardless of what you see. Also, in this game you see his army move up the left and you correctly move your zealots to your void ray in the middle of the map. After they get to the middle you could have sent them down the left side into his expo since you know his army wasn't going to be there. Queueing makes this easier.

3: You need detection. There's nothing like losing to DTs or a cloaked banshee because you forgot to build an observer or drop a cannon.

Some nice things:

1) Way to take the gold at the end while you attacked. Expanding, in general, is something I have a hard time with so that really stuck out as a good move to me.

2) Good map control. Although I said scouting is something to improve on you still sent a probe into his expo and still held a xel'naga which is huge.

3) I like the forward pylons. When you warp units in you can actually select their hologram/figure and right click on one of your alive units. When they're done warping in they will automatically walk to your group. If that becomes second nature to you then you'll always have a fresh stream of reinforcements coming your way.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys do you concider baneling bust to be a cheese tactic? I'm playing platinum atm and that's the only tactic I feel confident executing. Without the early pressure I just feel I might face a banshee, reaper, or face a 200/200 terran army eventually which ill lose to. Even mmm feels incredibly hard to beat for me as zerg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's not considered a cheese tactic. Typically a cheese tactic is some kind of all in play along with something bizarre. In beta, terran's would proxy reaper rush or SCV rush. If someone called a baneling bust cheese then they probably don't know what they're talking about as a baneling bust happens later, is easily scouted, and then easily countered as terrans can get a hellion out by the time the banelings come.
    edited September 2010
    Many thanks, Steve- some great advice!

You're spot-on about the placement matches: I was placed in a gold league after 3/5 wins then proceeded to get stomped in my next 10 games. After 5 or so matches the game thought "ok you're not as good as we thought you are" and placed me against bronze players. I still got stomped for a few games which bugged me (it's bronze!!) but I've bought it back, since.

The thing I'm finding hardest at the moment is mid-game scouting: detectors make my observers useless and wall offs or general army composition nukes down any scouting units I send in. Cue an unexpected banshee/void ray rush 5 mins later.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1797980:date=Sep 8 2010, 05:55 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Sep 8 2010, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing I'm finding hardest at the moment is mid-game scouting: detectors make my observers useless and wall offs or general army composition nukes down any scouting units I send in. Cue an unexpected banshee/void ray rush 5 mins later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah man I agree. A lot of players talk about scouting but it's hard to do and until you have a really good understanding of how all the races play you'll probably not even realize what build he's doing based off what your scouting.

If you want to stick with protoss try to research hallucination as it lets you generate a pheonix and fly it into their base. When I played protoss I used hallucination a lot and it's still really underused. I've won games when opponents gg out because they saw two (hallucinated) colossus and assumed they were going to die. Best use of hallucination was when I sent a fake army into a Terran's sensor tower radius (reveals unit movement but not what the unit is), sent sentries back to my choke to forcefield forever incase of a counter attack, sent a mothership near the terran's base, sent fake army into his front and recalled my real army into the back of his base.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester