Internode having trouble with dedicated servers

Dickbeard the PirateDickbeard the Pirate Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73082Awaiting Authorization
"The linked exe requires the game content files, which don't appear to be anywhere on there site for me to download without a valid alpha key (which I dont have)"

<a href="http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=257&t=178848&start=15" target="_blank">http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f...48&start=15</a>

Please assist

Comments

• MartinMartin Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73229Members
    Simple answer, buy the game. You can't just download server.exe and expect to run the game at this point.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    You'll have to wait for a separate dedicated server. Right now all server patches and support files are coming out of Steam to facilitate faster patching (and I'm not sure they have it stable yet).
  • Dickbeard the PirateDickbeard the Pirate Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73082Awaiting Authorization
    Oh great, so the only thing stopping us from playing the game smoothly with what content is available at this point is lack of decent dedicated servers, and we're not going to get any decent dedicated servers any time soon because no one thought it'd be a good idea to make it possible for people who didn't buy the special edition preorder to host.

Good job, guys.
  • DisodiumDisodium Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73057Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Chill out mate,

Teething problems..

They have stated they fixed the issue so that the dedicated server file can run without steam..
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed bug where the dedicated server could not be run without Steam running<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Once the update is release get a copy of the latest build from someone who has it then dump it on your servers.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1789142:date=Jul 30 2010, 12:54 AM:name=######beard the Pirate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######beard the Pirate @ Jul 30 2010, 12:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh great, so the only thing stopping us from playing the game smoothly with what content is available at this point is lack of decent dedicated servers, and we're not going to get any decent dedicated servers any time soon because no one thought it'd be a good idea to make it possible for people who didn't buy the special edition preorder to host.

Good job, guys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is very little, real actual, "playing" to be had. There are currently a lot of issues and dedicated servers are not at the top. Not to say its not important or that it wont be supported soon, but you're expecting it to be perfect after the first patch.

If by the time the game is released and these issues are still present, by all means, complain in the forums up and down. But until that point, you just need a little patience.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Also, if you don't noticed it, the game is in Alpha stage. There is nothing stable nor decent, just an unstable build that is going to be patched and patched every week from now on.
    Once the server is officially stable and works like they want to, I'm sure they will make it available to anyone. Of course they want that all the game hosting services have this, but right now is not a good idea. Once the server is stable will be available.

Anyway, the game on it's alpha stage is only available to the people that bought the Special Edition.

Have a little patience and all will come.
  • Dickbeard the PirateDickbeard the Pirate Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73082Awaiting Authorization
    I should have said, "inb4 someone tries to remind me this is an alpha like that's a valid counterpoint"

Like I said, currently the only thing stopping us from playing the game smoothly and bug testing properly is heavy rubberbanding caused by data transfer lag

Faster, better, industrial grade servers like the ones provided by major ISP's = problem removed entirely.
  • MartinMartin Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73229Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1789249:date=Jul 30 2010, 08:42 AM:name=######beard the Pirate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######beard the Pirate @ Jul 30 2010, 08:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Faster, better, industrial grade servers like the ones provided by major ISP's = problem removed entirely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm running a dedicated server with 8 cores in a colo...that's pretty much considered "industrial grade" and I am still getting the issues. Throwing hardware at the problem doesn't always fix the problem. It'd be like putting a band-aid on severe gash. Sure it'll stop some of the bleeding but the wound is still going to be there.

Props to Max though for getting the lag toned down so much in less than 24 hours!
  • SnazzSnazz Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62482Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789249:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:42 PM:name=######beard the Pirate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######beard the Pirate @ Jul 30 2010, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I should have said, "inb4 someone tries to remind me this is an alpha like that's a valid counterpoint"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How it is invalid? The alpha is for testing by the people who've pre-ordered the special edition and is not in an appropriate state for open distribution to server hosts.

I would like an Internode server as well, but I respect the exclusivity of the alpha and don't think it's really worthwhile until the beta.

<!--quoteo(post=1789249:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:42 PM:name=######beard the Pirate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######beard the Pirate @ Jul 30 2010, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like I said, currently the only thing stopping us from playing the game smoothly and bug testing properly is heavy rubberbanding caused by data transfer lag<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's a lot of bug reporting going on already, I've been in several matches that were sufficiently 'smooth'. You may not of experienced any so far but I doubt an Internode server is a magic solution to your issues.

<!--quoteo(post=1789249:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:42 PM:name=######beard the Pirate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######beard the Pirate @ Jul 30 2010, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Faster, better, industrial grade servers like the ones provided by major ISP's = problem removed entirely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What makes you think it's solely related to server hardware/connections? Ever considered that the alpha has severely unoptimized code?

There are several dedicated servers already running which all suffer from various lag issues, sometimes constantly and sometimes only when certain events trigger it (new players joining, disconnected players ghosting, mass amount of hydras etc.).
  • CordycepCordycep Join Date: 2008-04-27 Member: 64171Members
    GameArena already have a dedicated server up and running. Play there until Internode bring one online.
  • BryBry Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12609Members
    I take offence to that.

There are plenty of decent and realy good dedicated servers out at the moment as the people who really care about running dedicated servers purchased the special edition as well.

<!--quoteo(post=1789142:date=Jul 30 2010, 03:54 AM:name=######beard the Pirate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######beard the Pirate @ Jul 30 2010, 03:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh great, so the only thing stopping us from playing the game smoothly with what content is available at this point is lack of decent dedicated servers, and we're not going to get any decent dedicated servers any time soon because no one thought it'd be a good idea to make it possible for people who didn't buy the special edition preorder to host.

Good job, guys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I just don't get some people. It's like they move into a house that's still under construction and then complain about the rain. And when you tell them that's because the house isn't ready yet they say that's not a valid counterpoint.

Can't argue with that kind of logic...
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    There's an easy solution

Someone with more bandwidth than me (I'm in South Africa - 384k fails) needs to ask UWE for permission to package and distribute a dedicated server version.

It would be very easy to package the required content and server.exe, create a torrent and let server admins download that. You'd just have to repackage and release it with each update. Not that difficult - would love to do it myself if I didn't have such pathetic upload...
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    The problem with that is the updates. You need the host services getting the updates as soon as they are delivered, which means keep track of the Twits, take down the server to update it, update, re-start server.

If you have someone packaging this for servers then this person must make it available before Steam or at the same time, and alert the host services about so they start downloading and, and, and...

Lets wait for the beta to do this. Or at least a more stable Alpha release.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    The servers don't work anyway, so stop crying.
  • CrAzDCrAzD Join Date: 2009-06-16 Member: 67852Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789371:date=Jul 30 2010, 07:43 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jul 30 2010, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just don't get some people. It's like they move into a house that's still under construction and then complain about the rain. And when you tell them that's because the house isn't ready yet they say that's not a valid counterpoint.

Can't argue with that kind of logic...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THIS!
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It largely doesn't matter right now. Since you can't configure a server to bind to a specific IP or port, you would be limited to running one server per machine. I doubt any host is going to do that (it also prevents them from running *any* HL1/HL2 server on that machine, on the default port).