Possible solution for the AC/Gorge problem

NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
Give Gorges an ability to spawn a Drifter. Let it cost a good chunk of plasma. The AC would still have to command that summoned Drifter.

Reasoning behind that: In NS1 a lone Gorge, if careful, can sneak past the marine's perimeter and drop RTs or even more important a hive, possibly initiating the deciding hive rush. Those are game defining moments.

In NS2 with only Drifters being able to build hives and RTs this might become impossible. The Drifters are very limited in their navigation and movement. They can't sneak, they can't really hide and they can't do that all or nothing rush past the marines. A Gorge however could. If the Gorge is able sneak or rush into the hive location he can then quickly spawn a Drifter and, assisted by the AC, can drop a hive, creating a similar game element as known from NS1.

Comments

• MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    With some balancing, this could be really cool. I like the idea, hope we'll see it in the game some day.
  • abYsssabYsss Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72433Members
    I'd rather see the Gorges being able to help spread the Dynamic infestation.
    If Marines can destroy it with their Flamethrowers, the Aliens need a class that can help spread it.
  • GanJaBFDGanJaBFD Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73031Members
    With a gorge being able to sneak around an AC could sneak the drifter around as well. I personally think the gorge should go back to the builder and scrap the AC..... but as far as your point goes it's mute at best.
  • Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited July 2010
    Having the gorge as the primary building unit create a bottleneck in game play. You have to spend resources to spend resources. It's a flaw which has to be addressed and the alien commander does so. Gorge needs to be a support class, not the backbone of the alien's economy.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1788515:date=Jul 29 2010, 03:48 PM:name=GanJaBFD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GanJaBFD @ Jul 29 2010, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With a gorge being able to sneak around an AC could sneak the drifter around as well. I personally think the gorge should go back to the builder and scrap the AC..... but as far as your point goes it's mute at best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's no way you can control a Drifter quickly enough and with the precision needed in the same way a Gorge can. I'm not even sure the Drifter can use vents.

The Alien Commander is a neat addition and even after this short time I would hate to see him go.
    <!--quoteo(post=1788519:date=Jul 29 2010, 05:52 AM:name=Mr_Charisma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr_Charisma @ Jul 29 2010, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having the gorge as the primary building unit create a bottleneck in game play. You have to spend resources to spend resources. It's a flaw which has to be addressed and the alien commander does so. Gorge needs to be a support class, not the backbone of the alien's economy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The great draw to NS1 was the fact it wasn't your generalized Shooter. Each side was a different game, to a degree. You STILL spend resources to get resources but now we have this nifty CO style to our NS.... I believe back in NS1 it was a good idea to keep them separate. Meshing them together like NS2 has just seems silly.

There hasn't been a SINGLE thing I've read on these forums yet showing how NS2's change to the way the game is played has stated anything more then "it's better for pubs". And even at that point besides the lack of the alien units and flamethrowers in any other FPS why play NS2 at that point? Both sides are just going to be ramboing to get resources to buy better stuff, CS:DM anyone?

And I bet you, although they might change it during balancing..... a marine or alien jumps in as commander builds resource nodes and jumps out and goes ramboing due to the fact you are gaining plasma or w/e it's called while your buildings are up. But that's not really anything about the game play just a balancing issue.
    <!--quoteo(post=1788521:date=Jul 29 2010, 06:01 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jul 29 2010, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's no way you can control a Drifter quickly enough and with the precision needed in the same way a Gorge can. I'm not even sure the Drifter can use vents.

The Alien Commander is a neat addition and even after this short time I would hate to see him go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Drifters can fly on the ceilings, can a gorge do that?
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    The fact that at the current state Drifters and MACs can just float through all kinds of geometry and even outside the map shouldn't invite you to base your idea of the final game play on that.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    I too have a solution for the "AC/Gorge problem", it's called...

<!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> "waiting for the ALPHA PHASE to end."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788486:date=Jul 29 2010, 03:04 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jul 29 2010, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Give Gorges an ability to spawn a Drifter. Let it cost a good chunk of plasma. The AC would still have to command that summoned Drifter.

Reasoning behind that: In NS1 a lone Gorge, if careful, can sneak past the marine's perimeter and drop RTs or even more important a hive, possibly initiating the deciding hive rush. Those are game defining moments.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First i thought.. OMG... another die hard no-changes-to-ns1-gameplay-concrete-head, but then i saw the beauty of this idea. So please accept my apologies mate :-)

of course, there is still a lot to be done before this can or should be implemented, but i would like the dev-team to keep this idea in mind.
    Thank you for your kind words.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    I see the OP's point. However it seems to me NS2 is much more about territory control for both sides than it was. Not being able to sneak PGs (there are none), smaller maps with only rooms and these builder units being vunerable out side 'your territory' all re-enforce this, and I believe it's actually a concious design decision to go this way, and I don't think they'll make changes to make it more like NS1.
    I know what you mean Delphic. It just struck me that many people dislike the idea of an AC and fear the Gorge will lose too much of his former role. With that in mind I thought about a compromise that would allow the Gorge to do more of the stuff he used to without needing to scrap the idea of an AC, which I believe is a good addition to NS.
  • DecipherDecipher Join Date: 2003-06-19 Member: 17512Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788486:date=Jul 29 2010, 08:04 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jul 29 2010, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Give Gorges an ability to spawn a Drifter. Let it cost a good chunk of plasma. The AC would still have to command that summoned Drifter.

Reasoning behind that: In NS1 a lone Gorge, if careful, can sneak past the marine's perimeter and drop RTs or even more important a hive, possibly initiating the deciding hive rush. Those are game defining moments.

In NS2 with only Drifters being able to build hives and RTs this might become impossible. The Drifters are very limited in their navigation and movement. They can't sneak, they can't really hide and they can't do that all or nothing rush past the marines. A Gorge however could. If the Gorge is able sneak or rush into the hive location he can then quickly spawn a Drifter and, assisted by the AC, can drop a hive, creating a similar game element as known from NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also agree.
    I like to think outside the box, although I loved NS1. I like to see NS2 challenge us and for us to challenge the developers to make it the best game possible. I think adding more possibilities to each class should be an option. And I like this.

However since the gorge can make Hydra's why not Hives and RT's? Or perhaps another angle to the above idea, perhaps the commander could select a gorge and create a drifter himself manually from a gorge around the map. This means the drifters are not all running from the hive and can be performed swiftly and in the right location. It means the gorge retains their own personal resources while the hive commander can build without manually running the drifter to the location. I also loved the ninja in NS1. I think these games had the most exileration, trying to be sneaky and drop a hive, or vice versa dropping a phase gate at a hive.

I think in one form or another, marines should be able to build without bots and georges should be able to build other critical structures / assist in this some way (spawning a drifter would be comparable to marines assisting in building a structure).

However either way im sure come proper release it will be a good game regardless and also the mentions of potential mods opens it up for a creative individual to perhaps offer their own best interpretation of how NS should be from a different view.