Coop Episodic Missions

SparkyMcSparksSparkyMcSparks Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71347Members
Would anyone be interested in making a Coop Campaign in episodic releases?

Something along the lines of <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/22610/" target="_blank">Alien Breed: Impact</a>, but first person view and with own spin / features. Even if that's too big of a scope, perhaps something smaller like Spec Ops type missions from Modern Warfare 2?

Just figure it would be a great idea given the assets in NS2 and the modding capabilities.

Comments

• MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    I like the idea, AI would need to be coded for the other team.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I've always wanted an NS campaign. If I had any skills that would help, I'd offer them. Sadly, I don't. :(
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    Even something as simple as new levels with some custom entities would do the trick. Alpha Coop* was a mod for UT2004 and all it was, was a few custom entities (map change entity for instance) and some custom monsters, most of which came from Monster packs that already existed. The rest was just custom maps with some scripted sequences/triggers (which in UE, are "scripted" within the editor rather than with something like Lua... which could also be done in the Spark as well most likely).

I would love to be a part of something like this but I have the tendency to "/kill" on distributed teams in this case. That and I have little time between my personal projects and work to do anything else. I could contribute here and there on the programming side if the project gets up and going though.

I too have always wanted something like this for NS though... maybe not a Campaign per-say, but a coop experience. I've always wanted to relive the days of Joss' Coop for Unreal 1, but I've never found a Coop experience like that. Like every map has a number of objectives to complete to get to the next map?

*Not developed by me.

PS. Alien Swarm > Alien Breed. And besides, Alien Breed looks exactly like Alien Swarm. Copy cats!
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    This sounds like a great idea. I'd love to help out if I have time available as the AI work coincides with what I had planned anyway!

I'm assuming that it would be quite difficult to start until we have some more NS2 assets available but we can start once we have them. One other side-effect benefit of this work would be the ability to add a GPS-style "route finder" when setting waypoints in vanilla NS2 (to help new players of course!).
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    I would love to play NS with a defined and in depth storyline! This would indeed be a huge project, but doable. Single player would be 'alright' but i'm definately for co-op.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2010
    <b>Alien Breed Series is older </b>than Alien Swarm. Copy Cats!
  • SunshineKillerSunshineKiller Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72752Members
    im interested in this, im a programmer. Might want to wait for them to get to 1.0 first.
    Alpha lands in a day - maybe we could make a start when that comes. Maybe see how much the codebase changes after the first few weeks then we'll know if it's feasible to go full speed ahead!
  • SquawkSquawk Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72535Members
    Yes yes yes. If there was a... Alien Swarm / Left 4 Dead style co-op that would be amazing. I love this game for its multiplayer but if someone wants to make a full conversion co-op gamestyle I will certainly play it.

Maybe a new alien type could be designed to be a filler model. Keeping with the L4D analogy, this new enemy would take the place of the zombies. The Aliens that we know and love would be the special infected. After some modification the original aliens could be modified to inhabit one specific and different attack type just as the special infected have a certain attack type and ways of being defeated.

That being said I don't want a full L4D clone but just with NS2 models. Just using it as an example. I'm also not stating that it should even be a Marine campaign. I would love to play at the Aliens as well in some adaptation.
    You could do that by toning down the regular skulks/wisps. I'm thinking this is a single-player co-op thing so essentially it's a pre-built alien base + AI units. You could start by using regular maps as well.
  • WafflemaoWafflemao Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73105Members
    Sounds awesome! I'd love to see a co-op campaign!

What do you guys think about having more open environments in the campaign? Skulks seem to rely on stealth to reach the enemy but if all players are marines and NPCs being the aliens, the campaign could afford to have some outdoor maps.

Also, what about alien co-op campaigns?
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    edited July 2010
    i'm up for doing some work with this. I can do programming, and potentially a little rough mapping. anyone else seriously up for planning this out? if so maybe we should go ahead and start organizing (set up a github page, get in touch outside of this thread, start making some preliminary plans/code changes).

What kinda "own spin / features" were you thinking of, Sparky?

<!--quoteo(post=1787682:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:41 AM:name=Wafflemao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wafflemao @ Jul 28 2010, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds awesome! I'd love to see a co-op campaign!

What do you guys think about having more open environments in the campaign? Skulks seem to rely on stealth to reach the enemy but if all players are marines and NPCs being the aliens, the campaign could afford to have some outdoor maps.

Also, what about alien co-op campaigns?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    love the idea of alien coop too. also, for the outdoors idea, i just had this picture in my head of a really open field, and skulks, well, skulking slowly through the tall grass, sneaking up on unsuspecting marines
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    It could be made like L4D coop campaigns, in the sense that the opposite team also has a coop campaign, being to prevent the marines to win theirs.

Would eliminate need for ai.
    I think small-team coop-versus could be fun, but at the moment, I'm picturing some sort of story development - it's new territory for Natural Selection (sure, the manual had some depth and backstory, and UWE has been good at creating atmosphere, but it's not the same as a real plot). Maybe starting with the idea of scripting out a plot that could work as singleplayer, and then working in coop.

And it needn't be a massive undertaking right off the bat; really, we could design one or two missions for now, add in the support for the things we want, and then add more plot/exposition/features/missions as it goes.

maybe l4d-style VS could be another addition onto this at some point? Or maybe everyone would prefer to do that rather than a coop-plot anyway.
  • SquawkSquawk Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72535Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787682:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:41 AM:name=Wafflemao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wafflemao @ Jul 28 2010, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds awesome! I'd love to see a co-op campaign!

Also, what about alien co-op campaigns?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I would love a more open map than what we are used to seeing in NS. Could use a nice planet to view over seeing another space station. That being said, has anyone considered a half destroyed space station map? With the ability to leave the confines of the structure and fight on top of it. Deadspace style.

I will also say again that I am very into an alien co-op.
  • TechuserTechuser Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72719Members
    For open environments we have to see if spark supports that, perfomance and such
    Does it has something like displacements in hammer? I havent played with the editor enough yet

The most difficult thing would be programming the AI I think
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1789215:date=Jul 30 2010, 01:33 AM:name=Techuser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techuser @ Jul 30 2010, 01:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For open environments we have to see if spark supports that, perfomance and such
    Does it has something like displacements in hammer? I havent played with the editor enough yet

The most difficult thing would be programming the AI I think<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

agreed. but MCMLXXXIV said he could help out with AI (at least that's what i gathered from what you said :P)
    It'll take some time and some work, but it shouldn't be TOO hard to get something basic up and running, just for testing, and then
    go from there. I mean, people added bot players to NS1.

also, I set up a github last night. personally, i think i'd rather use a private SVN repository for development, but I don't have anywhere to really host one. Maybe we can move it at a later time. Anywho, github, yes. I committed the latest ns2 folder, so that's got lua files, models, maps, sounds, etc. I plan on keeping it up to date by adding branches for each major alpha update. So, github is <a href="http://github.com/tchannel/NS2-Coop" target="_blank">here</a>.

We'll need to actually get some other organization going (ie, figure out who is officially onboard), but I figured if we actually wanted to get this started, then somebody had better go ahead and do something to make it official.
    *bump* anyone else still interested in this?
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yes. I can build maps and models. Sadly I can not texture stuff.. yet..
    <!--quoteo(post=1791696:date=Aug 4 2010, 01:57 PM:name=Kabelen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kabelen @ Aug 4 2010, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes. I can build maps and models. Sadly I can not texture stuff.. yet..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    awesome! hopefully we can get a few other people on board.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Aight just pm me with details on private "chatrooms" and such if anything happens!