Alien Resource Node looks awful or out of place Yes or No?

iskunderiskunder Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68414Members
<div class="IPBDescription">The alien resource node looks like some kind of mini hive</div>I'm sorry but the new alien resource node looks quite bad. At the moment its a very static model and I know they will change that but come on it looks like some kind of mini hive hunching over. The bones AKA rib cage look out of place. It seems like the node need some kind of back support like 2 legs maybe. It just looks so unpractical.

And the eggs or pods or what ever you want to call them look like tomato bugs.

Anyway does any one else think they look out of place?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm willing to wait and see how it grows on me (no pun intended). When I first played NS1 and saw the old harvester, literally LOL'd, but then it grew on me and now I think it's great. Very animal like in a bizarre way. I think the new harvester will be the same.

@title
    No
  • dnleechdnleech Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39504Members
    I actually love the way it looks. However, I do agree that it needs an animation and a sound effect to indicate that it is actually gathering resources. Other than that *thumbs up*!
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2010
    It is quite obvious that the model is not complete. The orange head does not glow and their is no harvesting animation. The design will make alot more sense when it is swaying around and sucking up resources. I think it looks very good, and fits the alien art style, it will look very impressive when dynamic infestation surrounds it.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Once it moves, and especially once infestation is added, it'll probably look a lot more natural.
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    @title

No.

Looks good man.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Looks fine to me, plus I like the theme of 'big glowing things are important' as both the hive and resource tower are important, so they should attract attention and be prime destroy/protect targets.
  • Killpo1Killpo1 Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69373Members
    I think once they get in a few animations, and have a few particle effects they can have it start doing really interesting things like spewing out material spreading infestation everywhere around it, while also possible serving as a deterrent also (benefit for highly infested area maybe? node spews out a small cloud of organic material that eats armor, but does no hp dmg. That was just food for thought, don't try and make it the topic of this post)
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I personally think all the alien structures glowing will fubar balanced gameplay. Maybe if they made the marine structures glow also but who knows maybe the aliens SOF or equivilant will make it apear that way, we shall see.

@Topic

yes and no. I like the model however it seems a bit to glossy and looks like plastic but then again maybe it's my 9500GT/1GB not rendering right. If the dull out the skin a bit and add an effect like a light mist/fog around it i personally think it would rock.

The modelers are doing a great job and i'm sure lots will change when it goes to beta.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Erm.. Is this an idea or suggestions? Maybe i've missed it, but honestly, i find the harvester looks great and rather it over the old one :)
  • UbOteXUbOteX Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73254Members
    @title Yes, they look awful.
  • Killpo1Killpo1 Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69373Members
    I think if they could do one thing to the model they could make the sac a little bit more translucent and also a bit of a darker orange
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    erm... the sac is meant to be translucent but the engine can't sort transparent polygons yet, so basically the only transparency you'll see at this point is the windows.

I believe it's been stated that when there's time to get to it, hive and harvester glowy bits, alien builder bugs, and lerk wings among other things will be translucent.
    edited August 2010
    The old RT looked like a balloon you put on top of an air valve. The balloon doesn't need to do anything except sit there and slowly inflate. It feels more passive, whereas the Harvester, some engorged tube sucking on a resource nozzle gives you the sense that its a living organism.
  • TurtleTurtle Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1540Members
    I'd hold off on commenting too much about art assets. We're nowhere near the final level of polish. That last 10% art pass can actually take the longest, and is usually late in the development cycle.
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    Looks pretty nice to me.
    What's the point of these threads, really? Producing the art assets is a long process, and UWE isn't going to change them on a whim just because some people's personal preferences differ from their own.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Its those "ribs". They look too fake - like they were designed to be rendered on a low power PC. They need to be more round and finger like.
  • iskunderiskunder Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68414Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791032:date=Aug 3 2010, 03:51 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Aug 3 2010, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its those "ribs". They look too fake - like they were designed to be rendered on a low power PC. They need to be more round and finger like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I agree with you. I don't know the point is really to tell them hey your ###### looks bad change it but more along the lines of an insight to what some people think. I saw some one posting about the new hydra and I agreed with them it looks some what out of place so i figured id voice my opinions.

What ever design they choose I'm sure it will work out once its polished. No hurt feelings intended.

Anyway lets just wait this one out then shall we?