This game is still Pre-Alpha

Comments

• SolidNLSolidNL Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33563Members, Constellation
    Create a local server and have fun. Seriously why did you pay for the full preorder, just so you could play the game before anybody else. I for one did it to support the devs and to see ns2 come together piece by piece while in development. Its not something alot of people get to do with any other dev, so complaining about how bad this version is and how its unplayeble is not why it was released in the first place. I am happy i can see more of ns2 i am happy the devs are as active as they are.

If you really want to claw out to the devs that something is wrong then please come back when the game hits beta.

Greetz Solid
  • CXZmanCXZman Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70730Members
    +1 Silver Fox

This is a big try and crash season. You put the game on tracks, you fire it, will it fly ? No. Crash. Try again.
    And this is the first try :)

If it was airplane engineering, it wouldn't be the right time to notice that passenger seats don't feel confortable enough. The plane would mostly look like a metal junk piece that's intended to fly somehow. The major issue is "it clearly don't fly well for tons of reasons" but still, we all know passenger seats aren't confortable enough atm.

We're just NOT testing seats confort, we're testing this plane ability to fly well. The day the plane fly well will be a good day, because it'll be the first day of seats confort testing !

If you don't want to test the plane flying ability, wait for us to finish the job so you can kick in when it's your turn to test things. And please stop whining useless until then.
  • SychophantSychophant Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73240Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I've been a part of many Alphas including SC2 and every installment of WoW, none of which have been THIS rough. I understand Blizzard has much more resources at their disposal, but I think the NS2 team should have delayed their alpha release for one that was actually testable. I'm all for the testing games and reporting bugs, but the games have to be playable.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1787056:date=Jul 28 2010, 01:58 AM:name=Penguin333)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Penguin333 @ Jul 28 2010, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you are not supposed to have fun in an alpha test. same goes for school and work. unless you're in that 5% category who are passionate about their jobs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well sorry for having fun then with my Wall of Lame tryout :P
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787173:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:26 PM:name=SolidNL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SolidNL @ Jul 27 2010, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Create a local server and have fun. Seriously why did you pay for the full preorder, just so you could play the game before anybody else. I for one did it to support the devs and to see ns2 come together piece by piece while in development. Its not something alot of people get to do with any other dev, so complaining about how bad this version is and how its unplayeble is not why it was released in the first place. I am happy i can see more of ns2 i am happy the devs are as active as they are.

If you really want to claw out to the devs that something is wrong then please come back when the game hits beta.

Greetz Solid<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    + 1000000000000000000
    Agree in all. Even I can't play it and in local server game I found problems I love to see it right here. When I bought the SE package I know it could be delayed from the original date, I know that when alpha is released I could have this problems, I know all of this and UWE always say it, they never lie about.
    Yeah, I hate not be able to play online but I just don't care at this point, I want to help making the game. And that is giving feedback.

The major problem now is the server itself. Once that is fixed we can join and play, and not get lagged servers because a bunch of kids can't quit trying to join a server even if they don't join for 30 seconds.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787183:date=Jul 28 2010, 04:32 AM:name=Sychophant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sychophant @ Jul 28 2010, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been a part of many Alphas including SC2 and every installment of WoW, none of which have been THIS rough. I understand Blizzard has much more resources at their disposal, but I think the NS2 team should have delayed their alpha release for one that was actually testable. I'm all for the testing games and reporting bugs, but the games have to be playable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The WotLK BETA was quite terrible, for the few days that I tried to play it. The servers were constantly crashing, the performance was terrible and sometimes you just couldn't get through the loading screen.

I think the community has found a few bugs that UWE didn't know about before the alpha (including the connection bug?), so I guess we're helping already.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1787183:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:32 PM:name=Sychophant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sychophant @ Jul 27 2010, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been a part of many Alphas including SC2 and every installment of WoW, none of which have been THIS rough. I understand Blizzard has much more resources at their disposal, but I think the NS2 team should have delayed their alpha release for one that was actually testable. I'm all for the testing games and reporting bugs, but the games have to be playable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hyperbole.

Unless you offer some sort of proof, I can't believe this is the case. In another post, someone else claimed to be an alpha tester for Wrath of the Litch King and said it was just as bad, if not worse than this. So, which of you are lying?

Hell, I got into the Cataclysm beta early on and nothing in that game worked. They just recently got the worgen quests working right so you can leave town.
  • f dotf dot Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73088Members
    Got to agree on the WoW front, have never been in F&F testing but I've done a few betas and hell I've even seen the PTR on some occasions and the game/servers have had serious problems so am going to have to say that if you released certain Alpha builds of games like WoW to ~10k people all on different connections/hardware then you'd see some massive issues.

Also to be fair there's very few gamebreaking problems in this Alpha, once the connection issues are fully ironed out then you're looking at hit detection & optomization as being 2 things slowing/stopping you being able to jump right into a basic game, which isnt even what the Alpha is there to provide so can't complain IMHO.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    The game is definitely playable. Enjoyable is another matter altogether, but what you can definitely do is pit two teams against each other, and determine a winner by following a number of rules.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787015:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:34 AM:name=Jack_Daniels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jack_Daniels @ Jul 28 2010, 09:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You win the award for best answer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'm suprised you find anything fun with this attitude.

If you see a bug report it - simple.

It will get fixed in due time.
  • UnfocusedWolfUnfocusedWolf Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72568Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787038:date=Jul 27 2010, 11:46 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 27 2010, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't play it then. Let the players that actually care do the feedback.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited July 2010
    Quit posting "I've been in WoW beta!!!111" The WoW beta that's being released for public spectation isn't comparable. It's a beta for an expansion to an ultra-polished high-revenue game that's been bugtested for YEARS of RELEASED CONTENT.

If you were in WoW vanilla alpha, get back to me. I'm betting you weren't because it was terrible.

edit: It's been less than 24 hours after release and Max says he's already fixed the major unplayability issues for the next patch. 24 hours. Jesus, why am I even dignifying this thread with a second response.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787214:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:48 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Jul 28 2010, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quit posting "I've been in WoW beta!!!111" The WoW beta that's being released for public spectation isn't comparable. It's a beta for an expansion to an ultra-polished high-revenue game that's been bugtested for YEARS of RELEASED CONTENT.

If you were in WoW vanilla alpha, get back to me. I'm betting you weren't because it was terrible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thankyou.

I cannot believe that some people were comparing these two development companies, one with 8 people and the other in the hundreds.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787214:date=Jul 28 2010, 04:48 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Jul 28 2010, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quit posting "I've been in WoW beta!!!111" The WoW beta that's being released for public spectation isn't comparable. It's a beta for an expansion to an ultra-polished high-revenue game that's been bugtested for YEARS of RELEASED CONTENT.

If you were in WoW vanilla alpha, get back to me. I'm betting you weren't because it was terrible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe what people are trying to say about the wow expansion beta is that even though it's from a much larger company, it still wasn't much better than the NS2 alpha when it started.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787218:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:51 AM:name=Mahmutti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mahmutti @ Jul 28 2010, 02:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe what people are trying to say about the wow expansion beta is that even though it's from a much larger company, it still wasn't much better than the NS2 alpha when it started.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some are, others aren't.
  • PepeNZPepeNZ Join Date: 2009-05-26 Member: 67485Members
    The wow cata beta arguement is moot.
    Its 2 completely different situations.
    Wow have had close to 9 years of a functional product to build this next expansion on top of
    UW have started from the ground up.
    cmc is 100% right with regards to this.

And let me put it this way
    as a HARDCORE wow fan, at this point i would MUCH rather play aroudn with the relatively small amount of alpha content than play my wow beta.
    In fact since ive had the wow beta ive maybe played it 5 - 6 times.
    why?
    simply put i have more patience for NS2 and prepared myself months ago for the fact that what we now have would not be even close to a polished product.
    seems a few people out there could have stood to do the same :(
  • meh`meh` Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66691Members
    You played for an hour and it was nearly lag free and are complaining? Damn, I enjoyed playing while lagging every 10 seconds with 18 fps.
  • CordycepCordycep Join Date: 2008-04-27 Member: 64171Members
    Do people here bite this hard and fast all the time?
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787183:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:32 PM:name=Sychophant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sychophant @ Jul 27 2010, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but I think the NS2 team should have delayed their alpha release for one that was actually testable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But all these issues that people are experiencing wouldn't even be so apparent had they not opened up the testing to the public.
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    I don't mind, I just hope they will use this information to speed up the process. My main motivation for the SE was to support a game I loved. Hopefully before the weekend we get a patch, I do agree testing is limited because it's unplayable for most. However if the issues are glaring, then it should be easier to identify and rectify. Something like that anyway.
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787066:date=Jul 28 2010, 10:03 AM:name=chrisinajar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chrisinajar @ Jul 28 2010, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Coming from a full time software engineer and active open source contributor: Pre-alpha is something that doesn't launch. Alpha is something that runs, but isn't feature complete, beta is feature complete but not bug free, release is feature complete with no known bugs.

My game runs, I can get into it. I can move around and shoot things. It's pretty much unplayable. It's alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.

I know UWE were walking a fine line, with having to simultaneously encourage pre-orders and manage expectations about quality, but the above definition bears repeating over and over, and maybe should have been emphasized more. (i know it was emphasized, but some people .... ).

Do these people think game development is 99% gameplay balancing? The point of getting us in is to find all the problems a team of 6 or so can't find 'cos they can't possibly think up or replicate all the possible configurations of computer, network and person that provoke them. UWE got drowned in flames and feedback and the issues are pretty much fixed already... ergo process is working. Grumblers get over it or come back in a few months.
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1787621:date=Jul 28 2010, 12:39 PM:name=shad3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shad3r @ Jul 28 2010, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787621"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->QFT.

I know UWE were walking a fine line, with having to simultaneously encourage pre-orders and manage expectations about quality, but the above definition bears repeating over and over, and maybe should have been emphasized more. (i know it was emphasized, but some people .... ).

Do these people think game development is 99% gameplay balancing? The point of getting us in is to find all the problems a team of 6 or so can't find 'cos they can't possibly think up or replicate all the possible configurations of computer, network and person that provoke them. UWE got drowned in flames and feedback and the issues are pretty much fixed already... ergo process is working. Grumblers get over it or come back in a few months.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What this guy and the guy he quoted above said.
  • dutchmeatdutchmeat Join Date: 2010-05-18 Member: 71794Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787066:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:03 AM:name=chrisinajar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chrisinajar @ Jul 28 2010, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Coming from a full time software engineer and active open source contributor: Pre-alpha is something that doesn't launch. Alpha is something that runs, but isn't feature complete, beta is feature complete but not bug free, release is feature complete with no known bugs.

My game runs, I can get into it. I can move around and shoot things. It's pretty much unplayable. It's alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So basicly, you're saying this alpha doesn't have the feature 'playable performance/fps for everyone'?
    Like I said before, a basic stable version(where you can atleast walk and shoot) for everyone is a MUST for an alpha release otherwise, this release isn't any different from the enginetest.

Your game might run, but judging the amount of feedback there are still a ton of people who can't even walk normally on a local-listen server without fps lagging.

However, thumbs up for the amount and quality of content that has been created already.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Lag? I haven't even been able to connect! and it's fine with me, i'll just go play another game untill it's been patched from the feedback from the people that *can* play.

If the current state of the game doesn't do it for you just shelf it untill release and remember never to buy alpha/beta again because it's obviously not for you.

Personally, i laughed my ass off when i made my lan server to check the game out anyways, built an armory in the corner then got stuck between a rail and 2 expanding sections of it, while walking around it investigating a sound bug.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    There will always be somekind of network related problems when a new game gets released, whether it's alpha or beta.
    For an alpha I'd say it was pretty alright, and I'm sure UWE is doing all they can, and from the looks from the twitter and facebook updates it seems they've found some major bugs already.
    I just hope they are able to grab the physx hitbox bug and mouse input lag one as well :)
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1787665:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:16 AM:name=TSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSS @ Jul 28 2010, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the current state of the game doesn't do it for you just shelf it untill release and remember <b>never to buy alpha/beta again because it's obviously not for you.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you mean try, since you are not really buying either alpha/beta anything.
  • HarathanHarathan Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72845Members
    If it looks like an Alpha, smells like an Alpha, and quacks like an Alpha, its a duck. I mean, its an Alpha.

Duh. That some people think "Alpha" means the same as "Beta" is testament only to their lack of intelligence, not to any shortcoming on the part of the game or its developers.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787678:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:35 PM:name=Harathan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harathan @ Jul 28 2010, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it looks like an Alpha, smells like an Alpha, and quacks like an Alpha, its a duck. I mean, its an Alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    It doesnt matter what the stage is called, it is what we have and what needs fixing, its unplayable and buggy defending it makes no sense. It is obvious that some players are unhappy with the "alpha" so am I. I expected more from a product with a release date -1 year. I wonder who are more furious the ones who wanted more or the ones who are trying to cheat themselfs by saying its still in "alpha".
  • FreddehFreddeh Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18520Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787690:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:50 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 28 2010, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesnt matter what the stage is called, it is what we have and what needs fixing, its unplayable and buggy defending it makes no sense. It is obvious that some players are unhappy with the "alpha" so am I. I expected more from a product with a release date -1 year. I wonder who are more furious the ones who wanted more or the ones who are trying to cheat themselfs by saying its still in "alpha".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You expected more? I expected less than what I got tbh. The game mechanics actually work. It was said in an official news post before the alpha was released that hitreg was not quite fixed, so that shouldn't be a surprise, and connectivity issues are the hardest thing to test in an internal setting, so that shouldn't be a surprise problem either.

What is this 'more' that you were expecting from their first alpha build?