No update today?

SquawkSquawk Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72535Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How often can we expect them?</div>I tread on a dangerous topic with all the flamed threads, but I really expected there to have been an update released today. If nothing else I thought some very simple server tweaks could have been expected to end all the DoS attack-joins.

That brings me to my question. How often can we expect updates? I figure the Devs got around today and took a look at at least some of the data gained last night. I can imagine them throwing code around and toward some of the big problems. I am curious about how often we will be updated.

To increase the flame worthiness of this post even more I am going to bring up Valve. When they release a update to one of their big products (CS:S, HF2, TF2, etc.) that isn't up to par they release a new update to fix it the next, or sometimes the same, day. Can we expect that type of rapid update implementation. I personally wouldn't mind more than one release in a day if they adding a substantial fix each time.

Comments

• ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Honestly no idea, but I'm holding out for an update before/on the weekend.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    My guess is that with their small team, the work of bug-fixing and then prepping and re-deploying to steam will take a little longer. ;)
  • SquawkSquawk Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72535Members
    Just saw this on the front page as well.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--># It looks like we've resolved the "connection spamming" issue, as well as the other pressing connectivity bugs. Wahoo! #fb about 8 hours ago<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So clearly 8 hours ago they had a competent problem to the connection issues.
    <!--quoteo(post=1787475:date=Jul 28 2010, 12:11 AM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ahnteis @ Jul 28 2010, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My guess is that with their small team, the work of bug-fixing and then prepping and re-deploying to steam will take a little longer. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe earlier they were talking about having the ability to hot swap game elements, models, textures etc. Is it not so easy with the "Steam" side of things.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    I'm gonna throw out a wild and crazy suggestion: Read the blog post on the front page.
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm pretty sure it's been a redbull-fueled coding marathon over at UWE since before the alpha hit. Last time I did a major release of something on a Monday, I hadn't slept since mid-afternoon Saturday, and the whole day of the release was 'oh ###### there's another quick fix' for a good 10 hours straight.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
  • tankefugltankefugl One Script To Rule Them All... Trondheim, Norway Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8641Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1787479:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:15 AM:name=Squawk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squawk @ Jul 28 2010, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe earlier they were talking about having the ability to hot swap game elements, models, textures etc. Is it not so easy with the "Steam" side of things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The hotswapping is in the actual development environment, and usable for a small team only.

Deployment via Steam is a whole other issue. I am guessing now, but I believe the main obstacle in rapid day-to-day update is administrative overhead.
  • abYsssabYsss Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72433Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787480:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:16 AM:name=WatchMaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WatchMaker @ Jul 28 2010, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm gonna throw out a wild and crazy suggestion: Read the blog post on the front page.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol

Just to make shure that they don't spend the rest of their lives trying to find it:

They stated, that they will release 1-4 patches per month, since the alpha just started you will very likely see more patches.
    I would definitely guess for a patch before the weekend.
  • shadowlegsshadowlegs Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72907Members
    So probably a week then?
  • DecipherDecipher Join Date: 2003-06-19 Member: 17512Members
    Yeah,

Even if they code and 'resolve' the issue, often this can create other problems, conflicts etc.
    So they will need to test it and ensure it desnt result in any other problems then issue a patch.

Given theres 2 or 3 critical things, I would also guess this weekend they would look to address these major issues to give us the ability to better test the game. This gives them enough time to code it, test it, review it and then package it for release.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    As I see it there's a load of problems raised by the first release, which will keep them busy for at least a week making fixes. Once they've fixed a bunch of problems they can spend time making up a new build and redistributing it.

If you stop to redistribute every time you fix one thing you'll be wasting a lot of time, steam isn't an SVN although it is better than nothing.
  • shadowlegsshadowlegs Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72907Members
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • WalhallaWalhalla Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787533:date=Jul 28 2010, 03:58 AM:name=kurupt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kurupt @ Jul 28 2010, 03:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ns2 is dead<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? It´s a ALPHA !!!! And it´s starts 1 day ago so keep cool and drink a Coke

How old are you ?? 6 ?!?!
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787472:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:09 AM:name=Squawk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squawk @ Jul 28 2010, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tread on a dangerous topic with all the flamed threads, but I really expected there to have been an update released today. If nothing else I thought some very simple server tweaks could have been expected to end all the DoS attack-joins.

That brings me to my question. How often can we expect updates? I figure the Devs got around today and took a look at at least some of the data gained last night. I can imagine them throwing code around and toward some of the big problems. I am curious about how often we will be updated.

To increase the flame worthiness of this post even more I am going to bring up Valve. When they release a update to one of their big products (CS:S, HF2, TF2, etc.) that isn't up to par they release a new update to fix it the next, or sometimes the same, day. Can we expect that type of rapid update implementation. I personally wouldn't mind more than one release in a day if they adding a substantial fix each time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I read the newest twitter:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--># It looks like we've resolved the "connection spamming" issue, as well as the other pressing connectivity bugs. Wahoo! #fb about 10 hours ago<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds very good, when did we get the update? :)
    I hope they are not like other big companys, which update their games just every month or year...
    If they release today a update, they are realy fast and give us a fast support.

<!--quoteo(post=1787533:date=Jul 28 2010, 10:58 AM:name=kurupt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kurupt @ Jul 28 2010, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ns2 is dead<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sarcasm XD
    But realy, there is something true, but it must called "Ns1 is mostly dead ".
    NS2 don't realy feel like ns1 anymore, the amount of props and stuff in the room is annyoing for a wall walking skulk, the map is a bit tiny and there not much hide spots anymore, i feel so lost in the first level, maybe its just the level but ns1 give a very good feeling with the maps and you have a lot of hidding spots.
    And wow the skulk is slow and a gorge can jump higher then a skulk.
    I hope UWE will make the skulk more like feel a skulk and the levels better for aliens...
    I mean the levels feel more tiny then in ns1 and come on its the quake engine and now they have their own with like no limits...

<!--quoteo(post=1787540:date=Jul 28 2010, 11:06 AM:name=Walhalla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Walhalla @ Jul 28 2010, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What? It´s a ALPHA !!!! And it´s starts 1 day ago so keep cool and drink a Coke

How old are you ?? 6 ?!?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Looks like you have an IQ of 6...it was obviously sarcasm
  • WalhallaWalhalla Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43506Members
    It was not sarcasm, it is idiotic !
  • NarcilNarcil Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787533:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:58 PM:name=kurupt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kurupt @ Jul 28 2010, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ns2 is dead<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was haymo that did it :p
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787542:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:07 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Jul 28 2010, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks like you have an IQ of 6...it was obviously sarcasm<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK for once and for all

this is not sarcasm

!this IS sarcasm!

same as THIS IS YELLING.. so if there are no !! around it, you cant blame the dude .
  • CordycepCordycep Join Date: 2008-04-27 Member: 64171Members
    Patches must be submitted to the Steam development team before it can be distributed via the Steam platform. If we ignore the amount of time taken by the UWE team to test a patch before submission, it will take a bit of time for Valve work their magic before distribution.
  • pHkpHk Join Date: 2003-05-24 Member: 16664Members
    Once a week is great schedule if UWE can manage it. It's only logical that this won't bee respected 100% of the time though, so I'm not getting my hopes up for it :)
  • viggevigge Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31042Members, Constellation
    have you not read anything ? flayra and others have mentioned like 10times in different places that they expect to patch weekly or every 2 weeks.. why would that change because people dont understand that an alpha can be broken? i hope they stick with what makes the most magic happen anyways!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Once a week, or maybe every other week, just as they told us before. I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried to squeeze though the fix for the whole latency issue a little earlier, though since it's preventing many people from having a clearer look at what we already have.
  • HarathanHarathan Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72845Members
    I dont mind when the update comes out, I'll play SC2 in the meantime. And when the patch rolls, I'll be back. Simples.
  • jimnablazedjimnablazed Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69946Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787679:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:35 PM:name=Harathan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harathan @ Jul 28 2010, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont mind when the update comes out, I'll play SC2 in the meantime. And when the patch rolls, I'll be back. Simples.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THIS.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787496:date=Jul 28 2010, 08:34 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 28 2010, 08:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably weekly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

jupp.

<i>"We expect to ship a new version every week or two, all the way through alpha, beta, v1.0 and afterward."</i>

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/7/ns2_alpha_tonight" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...2_alpha_tonight</a>
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    The only update I'm looking forward to right now is the latency fix and hitbox fixes, hopefully they're soon! :D
    First, yes I read the front page and even linked it in my second post so calm down guys. I would like to think that just because a statement is made by the Devs that we could all have a civil conversations about its meaning, likelihood, implementation etc. If we can't do that then I have no idea why this forum exists.

<!--quoteo(post=1787555:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:27 AM:name=whocareswc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whocareswc @ Jul 28 2010, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK for once and for all

this is not sarcasm

!this IS sarcasm!.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you to those that gave honest imput, and THANK YOU to those that flamed. Did I do that right? :p
  • nsx_nawensx_nawe Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72667Members
    in the development environment i work on, most common working releases are deployed every week/2weeks .

And i think its also pretty common timeframes for agile development methodologies.

C'mon guys, just give it a break, sit back and do something else...