I think the Build Bot will be really useful if...

msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
Coming from a long, competitive Commander background, I can totally see how Builder Bots are/will fit into the new feel of the game. They seem like an awesome change for the better. That said, I think the Build Bot will be really much more useful if players and/or the Commander can assign them to "Follow" players, as opposed to having to move them around manually every time they need to do something. As has been said previously, one of the more tedious and less enjoyable aspects of NS1 was having to use the Buddy System to go around and build res nodes and other structures. I can definitely see how the Build Bot replaces/enhances that mechanic so that human players are only doing the fun, nerve wrecking task of guarding during a build. But trying to manage guiding the Marines -and- an AI seems like it will only serve to replace the stress the Builders seem to be removing, with something else.

Also, I think if you could set them to "patrol" a certain area they would be a lot more viable for having as a base pet. In the short time I actually managed to play the Alpha tonight, I would see a Builder sitting next to an almost entirely dead Infantry Portal and thinking, "Gee it would be great if he/she/it knew to fix things on it's own". I think I briefly saw something like this in the options set as "Coming Soon", so if this feature is already on it's way then great!

Comments

• RedGumsRedGums Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73134Members
    I'm not sure if this feature is coming out, but if it isn't then I think it definitely should!
    It would be great as I get quite frustrated when micro-managing non-important details (or at least ones that can fixed by something as easy as a 'follow' button). It would also bring the team together, having to defend the bots as they venture outside the relative safety of the base.
    Though just as a query (as I am a newb to this forum) shouldn't this post belong in this section of the forum?
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showforum=84" target="_blank">Ideas and Suggestions</a>
    Great idea anyway!
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    The Build Bot should definately not be allowed to sit there idle. Hopefully it can build/repair things by itself within close proximity at least.
  • teh_fattsteh_fatts Join Date: 2004-06-21 Member: 29442Members
    Seconded.

Though, even if you just let people interact with the bot to make it stop its movement until they press again or the commander issues it a new order, that would be simple and almost as useful.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786059:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:11 AM:name=RedGums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedGums @ Jul 27 2010, 08:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->shouldn't this post belong in this section of the forum?
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showforum=84" target="_blank">Ideas and Suggestions</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably, and if the mods want to move the thread over there then cool. It's not like there are plenty of other mis-placed threads. Plus I kind of consider this Alpha feedback moreso than just a straight up "idea and suggestion", since having played the Alpha this was my immediate and lasting reaction to the Build Bots.

<!--quoteo(post=1786081:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:32 AM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Jul 27 2010, 08:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Build Bot should definately not be allowed to sit there idle. Hopefully it can build/repair things by itself within close proximity at least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree. Even if we don't get a "Follow" option, I think they definitely should patrol the area and actively try to help weld/repair the base. ESPECIALLY since the Human Welder appears to be gone.

<!--quoteo(post=1786150:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:50 AM:name=teh_fatts)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teh_fatts @ Jul 27 2010, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though, even if you just let people interact with the bot to make it stop its movement until they press again or the commander issues it a new order, that would be simple and almost as useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Again I can't say how the game will play out, but I think that if the Build Bots are going to be used for all of the things the old Welder was for - repairing Heavy trains and welding Weld points - then allowing players to give them orders will only serve to make them a more functional and integral part of the game.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    i was thinking of the bot having a patrolling stance myself, at least around the base/command chair. should notify the commander upon spotting an alien.
  • TribalbobTribalbob Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73048Members
    Actually, if you select a bot and right-click on a marine - it will follow them...

Granted, it will sometimes also get in the way of the marine (pathing just needs work).
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited July 2010
    The only problem I can see with the OPs suggestion is that currently build bots move at about twice the speed or a marine player and thus having the bots follow players would decrease their speed dramatically....
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    Spam BuildBots, lag the Aliens for the victory.

:P
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    An amazing way to do this would be to have the builder bot follow by marine groups. That is, if you grab 2 marines and a bot and assign them to squad 5, it'll find the nearest member of its group and tag along. That way, if the bot dies, you can pop another, hit 5, ctrl-click the bot, reassign the group and you're set.

Patrol routes and auto-repair would also be awesome.

Another interesting one would be if either the bot or a building near it (within sight) is actively under attack, it sends out a distress, viewable like hivesight in NS1. That might take away from the comm's role a bit much, though.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    I really dont like the bots in their current state, and I honestly feel they are an unnecessary addition to the gameplay. but im going to wait till the game is release to see how it plays out.
  • Matt ReganMatt Regan Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63946Members, Retired Developer, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1786081:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:32 AM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Jul 27 2010, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Build Bot should definately not be allowed to sit there idle. Hopefully it can build/repair things by itself within close proximity at least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

MAC will repair/finish buildings it is near without the commander needing to issue an order to do so. MAC is also trained in the art of Judo and will perform the appropriate move on the Kharaa when a threat has been established.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'd like to see a MAC vs drifter battle. The drifter appears to be more agile, so I think the edge goes to it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1787154:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:16 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 27 2010, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see a MAC vs drifter battle. The drifter appears to be more agile, so I think the edge goes to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

however, the builder bot seems to be more durable and hit harder
    I left out Drifters in my assessment since I haven't had a chance to really play as Alien Commander yet. But just going along with the alien's general theme, I think they would be really neat if they were a bit more autonomous in the hive room than even the Build Bots would be. I think seeing these big slug things crawling over the floors / walls / ceilings waiting for a task would be really creepy and totally fit with the alien theme.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    LOL I wonder how effective a "zerg rush" would be. Construct 30 MACs/drifters. Attack the other's base. Walk in for the cleanup and win. Unless the other side creates an army of similar proportion.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787165:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:22 PM:name=msleeper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (msleeper @ Jul 27 2010, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I left out Drifters in my assessment since I haven't had a chance to really play as Alien Commander yet. But just going along with the alien's general theme, I think they would be really neat if they were a bit more autonomous in the hive room than even the Build Bots would be. I think seeing these big slug things crawling over the floors / walls / ceilings waiting for a task would be really creepy and totally fit with the alien theme.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

as long as that would be their idle animation so the commander can easily click on "idle worker", that sounds neat. otherwise, I'd hate to have to find drifters sneaking off into some corner, then possibly not finding it and having to build another haha
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1787166:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:23 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 27 2010, 09:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL I wonder how effective a "zerg rush" would be. Construct 30 MACs/drifters. Attack the other's base. Walk in for the cleanup and win. Unless the other side creates an army of similar proportion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Better yet, imagine using them to ambush and collision-trap marines around corners where you have a few hydras. That would be pretty hilarious.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787151:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:13 PM:name=Matt Regan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Regan @ Jul 27 2010, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MAC is also trained in the art of Judo and will perform the appropriate move on the Kharaa when a threat has been established.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm assuming the "appropriate move" is explode and fall to the ground, cause that's all I've seen em do!
  • DizzyOneDizzyOne BASS&#33; Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9095Members
    edited July 2010
    I would probably prefer it if the traditional element of building and micro managing of the build bot was changed for a more streamlined task based system.

Instead of building the unit from your command station or whatever and ordering it around, I could see it be much less tedious to work with if you could just select a resource node, location on the ground, marine or structure, and then have the ability to give a task to a buildbot. So for instance, instead of selecting a buildbot and then telling the buildbot to build a refinery, you just select a resource node and select building a resource node on it. It could then either automatically pick the nearest buildbot to go there or have you pick one in some intuitive fashion.

I don't see much benefit in having full micro control over these things, from what I've read it looks like they're supposed to remove some of the tedious work that marines would be doing.
  • mu.mu. Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63276Members, Constellation
    individual players could just hit the use key to grab an "idle" bot and have it follow until dead or they "use" it again.

that way the commander doesn't need to actually assign them to a player, and if the commander does give them something to do, there's no conflict. it always preempts the soldiers' "follow" command.

i'm sure they thought of this already. it seems like the easiest way to make them useful/desireable.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    Seriously need to re-add the ability for marines to build, taking that away handicaps the game in many, many aspects. I've agreed with every decision and choice they have made so far except for this, and maybe skulks starting with leap but it's hard to tell at this point if it's balanced or not since obviously the hitboxes don't work.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    A few things I wouldn't mind seeing would be the ability to queue up orders with a buildbot. Order 1 - Build extractor, Order 2 Build Armory. It might also be useful to be able to provide a default activity to the buildbot when idle..."weld anything that needs it in a particular area"..."patrol x area"...etc.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    Buildbot already autobuilds if you place a new, incomplete structure very close to an idle one. Try this: enable cheats, stand next to a buidbot, and type "give sentry" into the console. The sentry spawns unbuilt, and the buildbot should automatically assemble it if you're close enough.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787200:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:41 AM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 28 2010, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously need to re-add the ability for marines to build, taking that away handicaps the game in many, many aspects. I've agreed with every decision and choice they have made so far except for this, and maybe skulks starting with leap but it's hard to tell at this point if it's balanced or not since obviously the hitboxes don't work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gonna agree to this once again...
    NS is more than just shooting stuff, having the build bot take away all these "non shooting" tasks doesn't add to the gameplay but instead removes gameplay options for the player.
    It does not only take away tactical choises (speed building with serveral marines, ninja building inside a hive where you time the building with respawns) i also imagine it heavily impacting the overall pace of the game. Those build/welding times had been a rather calm moment amongst the usual hectic looking and shooting around which gave the game a nice flow between hectic action and calm moments.

I would rather see an approach where both ways (marines building/welding and build bot building/welding) would have their place, like marines beeing the maintenance force outside of bases/on the move while the build bot rather handles tasks in base proximity, that how i imagined it originaly anyway. Maybe make it so that the buildbot only works in rooms that are connected to the marines trough the power grid system?

I mean what use is the ability to weld doors when only the bot is able to do it? I wanna weld doors myself and totaly feel like in an alien movie :P
    Heck you could even add an welding minigame for welding doors/consoles :D
    I do think that completely removing the human elements of the Build Bots is a wrong move. As a Commander (and even a Marine really) it's nice to be able to have the option of having an AI do the building, but when push comes to shove it might be worth having a human do that job anyway. Same goes for welding doors/consoles/etc., the Welder shouldn't go away just because we have friendly robots to do it now.

Also, +1 for Welding minigame.