HP and Med Pack

matframatfra Join Date: 2004-01-10 Member: 25206Members, Constellation
i would like to replace standard HP for health system like in Call of Duty. Player have no HP bar. Dependind of you resistense and equipement you have more health. But basicly when you get it, your screen become red, and if you hide for 30 sec, you back as normal. What you think ?

Comments

• MorganFreeman911MorganFreeman911 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73021Members
    That seems like it would cause problems for the Aliens. I think the original health system makes it more fun and challenging, adding more skill and subtracting the skill of hiding.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    I think that's a bad idea.
    Removes the need to heal people.

and fights could go on forever :P
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    can't work in this game. there are too many health variables between marines and alien classes. it would be ridiculously OP for an onos if he were to just avoid taking damage for a moment.
  • KompatriotKompatriot Join Date: 2010-01-14 Member: 70144Members
    I think that would require fundamental alterations to the gameplay. NS2 plays more like an old-school shooter than something like COD anyways.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1786963:date=Jul 28 2010, 01:08 AM:name=matfra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matfra @ Jul 28 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i would like to replace standard HP for health system like in Call of Duty. Player have no HP bar. Dependind of you resistense and equipement you have more health. But basicly when you get it, your screen become red, and if you hide for 30 sec, you back as normal. What you think ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Magic health regeneration is the lamest game play element I have ever seen. In terms of making it plausible in the NS universe, the nano-gridlock will prevent the regeneration of health when out of combat. the Khaara infestation is too strong for that, keeping the marine's nanite stream occupied. Only the commander can control this stream manually...

Besides in NS, the med packs have a strategic value. It distracts the commander if the needs to keep his marines alive, and also costs resources.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Personally, I would prefer to move away from the regenerating health/shield bars that have become common place and move back to health bars that do not regen on their own.

Well, without special abilities or what ever.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    It would require huge design rework, I think. NS is partitially based on abilities to wear your opponent down and force them back. A pretty big share of NS' decisionmaking is based on controlling the HP and Armor pools in one way or the other.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Most annoying medic system was probably in the BFBC2, just two of those guys can keep reviving and healing an entire squad... That is even more annoying the magic health regeneration...
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Regenerating health is the worst FPS invention in the last 10 years. No
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786990:date=Jul 28 2010, 12:21 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 28 2010, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regenerating health is the worst FPS invention in the last 10 years. No<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think it's necessarily bad in all cases, but it's ridiculously overused and in no way suits NS that we know so far. Most games using it aren't very unique by their gameplay either.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786990:date=Jul 28 2010, 12:21 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 28 2010, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regenerating health is the worst FPS invention in the last 10 years. No<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    eh its has its place...it works well in SP games, where the focus is on driving a narrative. In a competitive MP game it would just muck things up.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    Magical self healing is the worst game mechanic ever introduced into gaming.
  • ThrillhouseThrillhouse Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3178Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1786963:date=Jul 27 2010, 11:08 PM:name=matfra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matfra @ Jul 27 2010, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i would like to replace standard HP for health system like in Call of Duty. Player have no HP bar. Dependind of you resistense and equipement you have more health. But basicly when you get it, your screen become red, and if you hide for 30 sec, you back as normal. What you think ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol no offense, but this is terrible design, and is one of the problems that is attributing to terrible FPS's now-a-days
  • ThrillhouseThrillhouse Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3178Members, Constellation
    Let's add a cover system while we're at it.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787105:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:45 PM:name=Thrillhouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillhouse @ Jul 27 2010, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's add a cover system while we're at it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

making fun of hp regen is one thing, but this is too far! cover systems are nice when done right.
  • f dotf dot Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73088Members
    Doesn't really fit with NS gameplay style as has already been said where the healthpools are so different, onos running away and standing around for 30 seconds just to be back to full HP sounds pretty lame.

Also personally don't like the dumbing down of games that seems to be happening, everything's geared towards keeping people alive and baby stepping them through games, if you need healed you should have to find healing or die. Long gone are the days where you got 3 lives and when they were gone you restarted the whole thing again! :P
  • SredahfSredahf Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9782Members
    I'd disagree there. The medic from Team Fortress 2 is an excellent example of how regenerating health for a class can be useful in certain situations. Also, the medic has a few items that he can choose between that affects his passive regeneration.

For NS2, marines should definitely have no way of self-healing besides the all-important armory and the health packs from commanders (and welders from the build bots)? Aliens should naturally have some regen going on, as it fits their alien-growth characteristics quite well.