Bug; Using the armory sometimes puts your game into the "Ready Room" state

JaminiJamini Join Date: 2009-12-30 Member: 69830Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm not exactly sure how this happened. However today when I was doing some testing of the NS2 alpha a number of players on both teams ended up in the "Ready Room" after using an armory or respawning (as Kharra).

This appeared to hapen after respawning or using the armory about five minutes into the map. Players who did not die or use the armory were able to play like normal while everyone else was a "ready room" marine.

It was quite humorous. IF I can get it to reproduce I will post more details.

(Also, please focus on hit detection before you add anything! It's so bad right now a skulk can't kill a marine if he's half up the marine's ass)

Comments

• PepeNZPepeNZ Join Date: 2009-05-26 Member: 67485Members
    Really hope you submitted this to feedback :)
    Definitely the kind of thing they are looking for people to send info on.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1786927:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:42 PM:name=Jamini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jamini @ Jul 27 2010, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not exactly sure how this happened. However today when I was doing some testing of the NS2 alpha a number of players on both teams ended up in the "Ready Room" after using an armory or respawning (as Kharra).

This appeared to hapen after respawning or using the armory about five minutes into the map. Players who did not die or use the armory were able to play like normal while everyone else was a "ready room" marine.

It was quite humorous. IF I can get it to reproduce I will post more details.

(Also, please focus on hit detection before you add anything! It's so bad right now a skulk can't kill a marine if he's half up the marine's ass)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Their focus right now isn't to 'tighten up the graphics on level 3' to give you an awesome gaming experience. It's to fix major, show stopping, game crashing bugs.

Hit detection, right now, should be the least of their concerns.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    I disagree about hit detection needing to be low on the totem pole of things to fix. If I can't kill something I am shooting at, or bite something I am trying to bite, then why even bother trying to get in a fight in the first place?
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1786947:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:56 PM:name=msleeper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (msleeper @ Jul 27 2010, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree about hit detection needing to be low on the totem pole of things to fix. If I can't kill something I am shooting at, or bite something I am trying to bite, then why even bother trying to get in a fight in the first place?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because the focus at this time isn't around balance.

There is no reason to add hit detection at this time, other than to make the game 'more fun'.

We are testing stability, assets, network issues and if the client will even start up or not.

Hit detection is a late alpha/early beta issue, imo.
    I'm not talking about fun or balance, either. My point is that hit detection is a pretty important part of any sort of 3D engine or game, and once we get past the initial major issues like the connection problems and the lag and so on, then I think hit detection should be addressed early on.
    If its not for fun or balance, why is it important to have it addressed this early on?
    Are you <i>really</i> asking "why is it important to detect when things are hit?"
    At this point in the alpha, yes. Yes I am.

Because its 100% <b>not</b> about if you can kill an alien or marine. It's about getting the game working at this point.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787091:date=Jul 28 2010, 01:32 AM:name=Silver_Fox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silver_Fox @ Jul 28 2010, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At this point in the alpha, yes. Yes I am.

Because its 100% <b>not</b> about if you can kill an alien or marine. It's about getting the game working at this point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hit detection will probably get fixed when they sort out the server lag (remember it worked flawlessly in the engine test).
    edited July 2010
    Well considering hit detection, and in a broader sense things like clipping hulls, are what is causing people to fall through floors and buildings not being able to be placed right, I consider that part of getting the game working. Am I saying that this needs to be fixed ASAP right now no questions asked? No, and I've tried to make that abundantly clear. But I am saying that something as fundamental to a game engine as clipping / hit detection needs to be a little higher priority than "tightening up the graphics on level 3".
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You better post that in their "feedback" tools. The forum isn't really the place to talk of bugs/feedback or they will have to dedicate a new sub-forum to the feedback.
  • IkasuIkasu Join Date: 2006-12-05 Member: 58918Members
    If you can't even kill something, why even bother testing?..I agree with silver. Who wants to test if you can't even actually play the game. I spent like 30 seconds jumping on a marine and chewin, nothing happened..he couldn't even kill me either.

The lag issue imo is priority, this connect prob is pretty big. But hit boxes should at least be decent enough to actually play to test the game for bugs. IMO, if I can't even kill what I'm shooting/biting at...what's the point of testing if it just gets me frustrated? =P...lol..

Hopefully this will be attributed mostly to the lag, although that one reference I spoke of was in a fluid server...but time will tell.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    Buy/Get Grenade Launcher + Aim @ Feet = How you do it!

Like in any other game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1787095:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:37 PM:name=msleeper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (msleeper @ Jul 27 2010, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well considering hit detection, and in a broader sense things like clipping hulls, are what is causing people to fall through floors and buildings not being able to be placed right, I consider that part of getting the game working. Am I saying that this needs to be fixed ASAP right now no questions asked? No, and I've tried to make that abundantly clear. But I am saying that something as fundamental to a game engine as clipping / hit detection needs to be a little higher priority than "tightening up the graphics on level 3".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You never mentioned clipping issues, falling through the level or buildings before this post. You only stated 'hit detection' which I took to mean "point gun at target, click, register hit at target."

I still believe 'hit detection' is a low priority in the alpha <i>at this point</i>. Players falling through levels and building placement issues are higher priorities in my opinion.