1 in 10 connections work, Once I get in I get horrific gameplay

SygnonSygnon Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73220Members
Authenticating / attempting connection problems everywhere, I finally got into two servers in about 25 attempts. Once I got in, the framerate was so poor I was completely unable to play.

Here is my system: Intel Core i7 720QM 6GB Memory ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 NoteBook

what the ###### is going on?

Comments

• zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    at the risk of being accused of being a rabid fanboy, there are a number of issues with the alpha that are currently being addressed. a twitter was also made about Max and Kurt fixing networking issues - let's hope that helps with server connections.
  • SygnonSygnon Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73220Members
    edited July 2010
    hey man I am in there with you, I lived NS1 for a long time.

I also am aware it is an alpha, but when I hear alpha I expect engine issues, crashes etc. Problems but playable. This has problems and is unplayable. but easily reproduced bugs like unable to connect to anything is a bit frustrating. I also am surprised when what I feel is a pretty decent system is getting such poor fps it looks like a powerpoint presentation.
    also, what is the command to see the fps you are getting?

I want to do some testing.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110386&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=110386&hl=</a>

there are a number of console commands listed in that thread; the one you're specifically asking about is <b>r_stats</b>.
    edited July 2010
    thanks for that, just found it.

So, with my sytem I am getting around 8 fps at high detail. I find that very difficult to understand. Is there still a massive amount of optimization waiting to happen?

I moved to medium detail and got 10 fps.

I can destroy most other games. What is going on here?
    <!--quoteo(post=1786833:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:46 PM:name=Sygnon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sygnon @ Jul 27 2010, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, with my sytem I am getting around 8 fps at high detail. I find that very difficult to understand. Is there still a massive amount of optimization waiting to happen?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what's going on? this is a first release alpha that still needs a ton of work.
    Again, I understand lots of work needs to be done. I am not saying I demand a finished product here. I was looking forward to help find bugs in fact.

But in order to do that, I need to be able to run the game at a playable framerate.

I just tried the lowest settings and the game is still unplayable. I have been in alphas before. I am going to err on the side of redundancy here: I do not expect perfection, just expect the ability run the game and have it playable. I dont care how broken it is, I expect the worst. But in the end, it should at least run.

But this is all orthogonal to the point: does anyone know if this has had any sort of optimization run? Are there known ATI issues?