Screen Problems.

PepeNZPepeNZ Join Date: 2009-05-26 Member: 67485Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Dual screen perhaps the issue? Anyone else?</div>Hi There

I run windows 7 x64 dual screened and i think that this has caused my NS2 to crash badly
When i FIRST started it up it was a blank windowed box for a time and then eventually the i assume in game menu came up.
I went to options and un-checked "windowed mode" assuming this would make my game full screen.
Clicking back to the main menu, my whole main monitor went black and stayed that way except for a periodically appearing white mouse cursor while my secondary screen was flashing between black and my windows desktop.

Assuming there was no way to fix this now i uninstalled the game and redownloaded hoping to at least get back to when i first installed
Unfortunately this is not the case
i am still getting the exact same situation as before the re-install.

Can anyone offer a solution or suggestion?

I am in no way upset about this i must point out
I have participated in betas before which were close to unplayable and knew this is what could potentially happen when i shelled out my cash for my swish new black armor.
However if anyone out there can offer any suggestions on fixing the issue id be eternally greatful.

Many Thanks

Pep.

Comments

• LandmineLandmine Join Date: 2008-06-21 Member: 64481Members
    I just made a similar post. Looks like us 2 monitor people are SOL.
  • gobotgobot Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67688Members
    With dual screen mode my ns 2 didnt run. I turned off my 2nd screen and turned the grahpics on lowes level. Now it works "fine", on every solution also in non windowed mode. maybe it was just the graphics level maybe it was the dual screen dunno
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    Yes I found this to be the problem also.

I deactivated my 2nd monitor and it's now running fine.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Hi, load up explorer (like my documents or mycomputer) type in the bar %appdata% go to natural selection 2, it should be in Roaming if it is not in the main %appdata% folder,

Then edit options.xml in notepad (open with > notepad)

find the line <fullscreen> change false to true

it should read

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><fullscreen>true</fullscreen><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

You can also change the resolution under
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--><y-resolution>1080</y-resolution>
                <x-resolution>1920</x-resolution><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • LandmineLandmine Join Date: 2008-06-21 Member: 64481Members
    Disable your second monitor and it works.
  • PepeNZPepeNZ Join Date: 2009-05-26 Member: 67485Members
    Ok cool, thanks for the speedy replies
    Hopefully i can find some program that will turn off my secondary monitor when running NS only, otherwise its the waiting game for when they release a fix for dual screeners.

I have too many other things i utilize my secondary monitor for to disable it :(

But all good ive waited this long for some kind of NS2, have no worries about waiting for a fix down the road :D
  • DihardDihard Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10365Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    I haven't had any crashing issues whatsoever with dual monitors with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and a GTX 470.
    Thanks for rubbing it in Dihard :p

I just did what Luitjens suggested and im back to the window phew :)

thanks for that

altho i had to set as false as set to true is when it does the silly resolution thing.
  • ItsJonoItsJono Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73053Members
    I'm on a dual monitor setup powered by a 4870 X2. No problems except for the fact that I have to disable crossfire thus making one card work without the OS generally glitching. Also the part about not being able to join any games.
  • PlaguebearerPlaguebearer Join Date: 2002-03-21 Member: 338Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Conversely, I disabled my second monitor and am still getting black-screen. Alas.
  • JesusUncuTJesusUncuT Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43367Members
    im running win 7 x64 ultimate with dual monitors and i have no issues with this... verify your running updated video drivers and try again. may be a graphics card issue with an incompatability to the engine and a second display. but who knows... check your resolution settings as well
    You are running it WITHOUT windowed mode checked?
    I can run it fine if i have windowed mode set to on and then using the trick lut said above set my resolution manually to 1680 * 1050. Bit chunky but at least it fills my entire screen.
    And yes i have the latest drivers.
  • MadmanskMadmansk Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62415Members, Constellation
    I am running it on a Win 7 64bit, with dual ati 5800 series cards, and have not had an issue with the game in full screen mode since I downloaded the engine test.
    Interesting, maybe its an nVidia thing....
    Im running a 8800GT and the replies with people saying full screen works for dual screen seem to be from ATi users

any other nVidia users able to fullscreen out there?
  • JesusUncuTJesusUncuT Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43367Members
    <--- no issues as i said earlier but thought i would say windowed mode not checked... with nvidia gtx 260 on win 7 x64 ultimate.

only issue i have is unable to actualy play on a server lol... yes im in the same club as the rest of the world with that i know.... :*(
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    i haven't had any issues with dual monitors on win7 x64. windowed or not.
    Sweet as Jesus, maybe its my old 8800GT cant handle it
    ya didnt mention ya on nVidia earlier but good to hear its not cheers :)
  • smudgehsmudgeh Join Date: 2004-01-04 Member: 25048Members, Constellation
    Win7 x64 Ultimate, GeForce 260GTX

Same problem with dual screens. Had to actually unplug my second screen from the card to get it to launch, not simply turn the screen off. Was getting stuck on a black screen with mouse pointer flickering.
  • StreptoStrepto Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33571Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785432:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:17 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Jul 27 2010, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm on a dual monitor setup powered by a 4870 X2. No problems except for the fact that I have to disable crossfire thus making one card work without the OS generally glitching. Also the part about not being able to join any games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also have an ATI 4870x2, and I've been running the NS2 engine test and alpha with 2 monitor., with NS2 in fullscreen on one monitor. Vista 64bit. The game runs regardless of settings, but with crossfire (Catalyst AI) enabled I get shadow/lighting flicker.

Hope that helps someone deduce the cause.
    <!--quoteo(post=1786845:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:55 AM:name=Strepto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strepto @ Jul 28 2010, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also have an ATI 4870x2, and I've been running the NS2 engine test and alpha with 2 monitor., with NS2 in fullscreen on one monitor. Vista 64bit. The game runs regardless of settings, but with crossfire (Catalyst AI) enabled I get shadow/lighting flicker.

Hope that helps someone deduce the cause.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hope you submitted that feedback to UW :)
  • DizzyOneDizzyOne BASS&#33; Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9095Members
    edited July 2010
    I had the same problem, although the fix has been posted in this thread, theres also a bug report (I think its a bug report atleast, it should be) on it here: <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/launching_ns2_the_screen_flickers_and_game_doesnt_load" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...ame_doesnt_load</a>
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I have the exact same issue. NS2 can not run full screen with dual monitors. I've tried on 3 different setups.
  • DizzyOneDizzyOne BASS&#33; Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9095Members
    Incase some people did not notice it, try changing your options.xml first before doing anything else, as mentioned here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=110365&view=findpost&p=1785394" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1785394</a>
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited July 2010
    I've been able to run NS2 with a dual monitor setup in both windowed and full-screen mode since pre-engine test dev builds.

This ATI/Nvidia thing sounds quite interesting. It does seem like it might be the Nvidia cards (I'm running an ATI as well).
    As redundant and unlikely as it is, im hoping that UW will get to the point where they produce some kind of small program that records what your computer is doing at any given time when processing NS2
    Im not a programmer so i dont even know if thats possible.
    But for an open alpha like this it would be a great general tool.
    Proberbly a stupid thing to suggest but if you have a problem (lockup or this kind of screen issue) you press a key and it auto submits feedback about whats going on at the time of breakage.