Server administration addon

DeprecatedDeprecated Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8619Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Proper way of creating such a thing?</div>Hello everyone,

I'm interested in creating a server administration addon, starting with the basics like admin rights and kicking people. After playing with the tools, it appears that the tools are geared towards creating full fledged mods. I'd like to keep my addon just that; an addon, so it could work alongside other mods. I'm still getting the hang of how everything is set up, but I'm having trouble identifying how such a thing would work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Dep

Comments

• MevraelMevrael Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66462Members
    What you are talking about is not basics. Before any in-game administration you need a proper-working server with the most basic cvars, say command, checking and displaying online players count etc.
  • GanJaBFDGanJaBFD Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73031Members
    Actually being it's LUA based you don't need any of those Cvars or anything. If you dump the LUA files I'm sure (maybe not now) you will find basic disconnect and other commands which can be ran to the client. In fact I was scimming last night and found a disconnect command you could send to the client to make them disconnect via an admin mod.
  • DeprecatedDeprecated Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8619Members
    Sorry, perhaps I'm not being specific enough, I have already figured out how to get an inventory of players and disconnect them, and I've managed to create a flash interface for it in-game. Still working on trying to connect to a backend database for rights authentication. Those things aren't hard, but my current method requires the modification of a few files that I imagine will be modified by other mods. There must be a way around it, right?
  • MevraelMevrael Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66462Members
    edited July 2010
    Official files and engine may be changed a lot of times and it will, so it's not the best way. All mods should be in their own folder. However, there is no addon/mod support system yet, so you can start from something like what lua scripts should be used. Make a config file, for example, such as metamod's config.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    It's fine and your fix will probably survive later versions if you make a .patch file (there are unix tools that can help or TortoiseGit/TortoiseSVN can do it too).

As far admin mods, I believe that the NS2 team are planning to support different classes of mods in the future so that you can do server-side-only mods. At the moment the functionality's not all there.

Can anyone confirm whether clients are currently auto-downloading the servers' mod code? If so we can have a lot of fun with server-side stuff already.
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    In the meantime, you should be able to create your own lua project with it's files, and then just hard link it in the current ns2 luas. That way you can just provide a diff of the ns2 files whenever they are changed, and it'll be easy to make it into a proper module whenever support for that is added.
  • theanomalytheanomaly Join Date: 2006-11-28 Member: 58768Members, Constellation
    It looks like there are pretty clearly defined Event hooks, so I don't see why you can't just make your own lua file(s) with your mods in them. I was looking at Player.lua and Client.lua though and couldn't find any data element resembling a unique identifier that you'd use for a database lookup; do you see one or were you just gonna do a pw login?
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited July 2010
    I think an easy way to make "addons" would be to just add a folder in the ns2 gamemode where you put the files.

However, that makes me wonder, how does the authenticating for joining servers work? If they modified their ns2 with a serverside addon will the client get a error msg and be unable to join (like in gmod you cant join a server with a map thats different from the version you have, even though it has same name (or rather because of that, as otherwise you can usually dl the map from the srv)), or if srv has a client addon, will it be downloaded by the client and used while he/she play on that server?
  • toAzrontoAzron Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26786Awaiting Authorization, Constellation
    Since its a steam game, shouldn't we be able to get a players steam id via the api?
  • BoutrosBoutrosGhaliBoutrosBoutrosGhali Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33193Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1786302:date=Jul 27 2010, 04:47 PM:name=Deprecated)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deprecated @ Jul 27 2010, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello everyone,

I'm interested in creating a server administration addon, starting with the basics like admin rights and kicking people. After playing with the tools, it appears that the tools are geared towards creating full fledged mods. I'd like to keep my addon just that; an addon, so it could work alongside other mods. I'm still getting the hang of how everything is set up, but I'm having trouble identifying how such a thing would work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    --Dep<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good man Dep looks like you're getting started on this before most people have even got their alpha copy to run yet! Have you tried contacting the metamod and adminmod authors? I think they've got forums on the metamod site you might have luck with.

Best of luck

BBG
  • NeroNero Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11236Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787391:date=Jul 27 2010, 11:48 PM:name=theanomaly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (theanomaly @ Jul 27 2010, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It looks like there are pretty clearly defined Event hooks, so I don't see why you can't just make your own lua file(s) with your mods in them. I was looking at Player.lua and Client.lua though and couldn't find any data element resembling a unique identifier that you'd use for a database lookup; do you see one or were you just gonna do a pw login?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unique identifier like a SteamID is something I am trying to find, but failed to see anything related yet. It is the most basic information needed to make a good admin system. I also didn't find how to get IP address information. Probably we will need to wait some versions.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Has anyone requested admin hooks on GetSatisfaction yet?
  • NeroNero Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11236Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1790348:date=Aug 1 2010, 09:23 AM:name=MCMLXXXIV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MCMLXXXIV @ Aug 1 2010, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone requested admin hooks on GetSatisfaction yet?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I made a search and I didn't find anything yet. So i opened a ticket.

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/basic_player_information_in_server_not_avaliable" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...r_not_avaliable</a>
  • MadcapMagicianMadcapMagician Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15265Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    Hey Dep.
    This project was started a while back to do what you're talking about:
    <a href="http://ns2admin.codeplex.com/" target="_blank">http://ns2admin.codeplex.com/</a>

Basically the goal is to be the sourcemod of NS2.
    We haven't done any activity in a long time because know one knows how the modding system is going to work at this point.
    According to the recent <a href="http://www.podcast17.com/episodes/94/files/Podcast17_e94_Interview_UnknownWorldsEntertainment.mp3" target="_blank">podcast</a> more details of how mods will work will be released in the future.
    It's also entirely likely that some of the admin functionality will be included with the final game. At this point we just don't know enough info to make a lot of progress.

MC
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2010