Voogru?

2»

Comments

• Heresy_FnordHeresy_Fnord Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7207Members
    edited December 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--Fina+Dec 11 2002, 01:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Fina @ Dec 11 2002, 01:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've been playing on Voogru's server recently, and I really like the Aliens ability to share resources to the hive. Last night our team worked together and we got a hive up within 5 minutes of the start.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I hope you don't have to play on a server with King Kahuna. It won't matter how fast you build a hive since he cheats. You'll really like the server modifications that include handouts to the team you're playing against.

Voogru = Crap. The best of the server world. I hate the fact it even comes up on my server lists.

Oh did I mention a waste of bandwidth?
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I've played on this server in the past and the "changes" didn't seem to distract from the original gameplay all that much.

However, there is a recurring sentiment in this thread. My last experience on a Voogru server was easily the most infuriating I've had in all my online gaming experience. A bit drastic you say, well maybe.

I was on the marine team and the team was working well together (more or less). The map was NS_Caged and I requested a welder to prevent aliens from getting into the vent leading into the marine spawn. When I reached the Sewer Vestibule, I found a number of alien offense and defense chambers all placed on the upper level. I leaped passed the chambers taking minimal damage and proceeded to weld the vent. Now, the offense chambers were trying to "shoot" me but none were hitting me. Then, a gorge (or 2 maybe) showed up and started "spitting" at me.

I don't know why but I received no damage from either the gorges or the chambers. I was, of course, immediately deemed a cheater. Without any discussion or warning or anything, I was kicked. My response was not to flame Voogru or their servers or anything of that sort, but I did try to report this as a "bug" in the bug section of the forums.

If Voogru wants to change the way games are played on their servers then woopdie doo. I won't be going back to see just how much "fun" they're all having. I'm sure they won't miss me as there will be more than enough people out there willing to look past uncontrollable admins.

First impressions can mean quite a bit. Hopefully anyone going there won't feel as "cheated" as I did.
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    edited December 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The biggest problem I have with Voogru is admin abuse, as stated in another thread about admins auto-killing members of the opposing teams, giving themselves god mode, etc. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never EVER abuse admin commands myself, I have been trying to keep abuse down to a bare minium, right now the only person i know that abuses the admin is Drunken F00l by friggin around with the resources (Im working on stopping him from doing that, He's a friend of mine thats why he's not banned)

As for weapong giving, maybe once and a while we need a welder, so we give ourself one. Thats the only weapon which a admin can give to himself. (As of right now anyway)

We give players noclip for a few seconds when they get stuck, I have never seen the use of godmode.

Auto-Killing members of the other team? wha? Oh you mean with a fully automatic gun, ya thats a hack called HMG.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah, he has the rights, but you're entitled to do whatever the hell you want, it's only a sever-side mod. You put in the liblist file (err, I think) for the mod to use a different DLL, and that DLL uses the NS DLL. There is no actual modification of any NS files, aside from the simple text file.

It's like AdminMod. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its even a metamod plugin.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Those awesome guys give weapons to marines all the time. No it hasn't stopped. And don't listen to King Cheater because I just played on a server about a night or 2 ago and he was handing weapons out to the marines left and right. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see how you try to bypass the word filter, shame on you!

As for king, he is the one who gives himself the welder, and noclip when he is stuck (And its only for a few seconds)

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It was a constant "Admin used command Give XXX to Marine"<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know why i put that there? So people know whats going on. Very easy to take out.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Voogru is terrible. None of the people I play with (12 ppl at my 'Netcafe' i-netgamezone.com) even consider voogru as a server choice. People rather play on Ep!k which crashes every map or some server with 5 people because only the most messed up noobs are interested in [Anti-Grav][Matrix]****NeoTF*** servers...which is what voogru turns into surprisingly often. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you for your comments.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Lt. Ripley: that has been my opinion: Voogru isn't even a server choice for me, even if it has an open slot. I pass every time based on the type of game that goes on there. I feel the modifications are unbalancing and heavily favour marines (already too powerful when played well).
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens now how a new toy too, "Resource sharing"

If used properly (Which it never ever is) Aliens will have a HUGE advantage over marines.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I played on Voogru twice, both times it was an experience that one would not call enjoyable.

*severely* unbalanced. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I been logging which team wins for the past 2-3 days, There has been no changes in the plugin that affect balance since

TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamTwoWon 2
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamOneWon 1
    TeamOneWon 1

If i counted properly:

Marines: 17
    Aliens: 24

Seems to favor aliens a bit eh?

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I hope you don't have to play on a server with King Kahuna. It won't matter how fast you build a hive since he cheats. You'll really like the server modifications that include handouts to the team you're playing against.

Voogru = Crap. The best of the server world. I hate the fact it even comes up on my server lists.

Oh did I mention a waste of bandwidth?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, putting out flares and giving yourself a damn welder is cheating Oh yea, getting ureself unstuck is 1337 hacking too! Oh boy.

If you dont like it, you dont need to play there
  • MoroseMorose Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5961Members
    Uh... yeah. Giving yourself a welder IS a cheat. That's a free 10 resources. So... whatever. It's your server, do what you like. But don't try to claim that giving free ANYHING isn't cheating, mkay?
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    What would you do if the commander was about to be ejected, and you needed to wait till you got a good commander (maybe about 1-2 mins) and you needed to weld a teammate, he has a welder but doesnt know how to drop it, So i gave myself a welder and welded him big fat hairy deal.
  • saberxsaberx Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3044Members
    I played on voogru when all that was changed was the glowing resource nodes. During that time the admins kept playing these annoying Half-Life sounds over and over. That was enough, so I left.

I tried it once again in 1.02 I believe and then they had an ammo station which gave life (which is the only change I like). The server still had annoying admins though, so I left.

I tried again last night at like 4 AM because my regular server was down, and they had changed so many things it was like a completely different game.
  • Crazed-OneCrazed-One Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7027Members
    Voogru, King Kahuna. Hmm sounds like you just altered it to have more fun. Sounds like a great deal of people like it and have FUN on your server. Thank god we arent communists, you altered the mod to your liking which it seems other people enjoy. Hey I for one am into self gratification, as long as I dont hurt nobody and its fun for me then cool, rock on. Gee you must of caused some real physical harm giving welderz to yourselves, hehe. Hey guys enjoy yourselves and have fun, dont let the flames get to you. Peace
  • Heresy_FnordHeresy_Fnord Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7207Members
    edited December 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--voogru+Dec 11 2002, 06:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (voogru @ Dec 11 2002, 06:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What would you do if the commander was about to be ejected, and you needed to wait till you got a good commander (maybe about 1-2 mins) and you needed to weld a teammate, he has a welder but doesnt know how to drop it, So i gave myself a welder and welded him big fat hairy deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You - Are - A - Cheater.

You'd random interest lose moron. It's called cheating. Look it up on dictionary.com

The intransitive form of the definition #2

2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game

The transitive definition #4

4. To elude; escape as in to cheat death.

YOU ARE CHEATING. The server admins practice cheats and have altered the game. If you want to play a normal non jacked with version of the game and have fun with game created balances then again I say: DO NOT PLAY ON ANY VOOGRU SERVERS.

Ornage and fun, everywhere I turn!!
    edited December 2002
    Auctually im afraid you are wrong sir.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The rules are a little different in my server.
    In any other server, Resource sharing would be cheating,
    In any other server, Armory's giving out health is cheating,
    In any other server, An admin giving himself a welder so he can weld a team mate becuase his team mate doesnt know how to drop his welder is cheating.
    In my server, None of the above is cheating in any way shape or form.

What you are doing, To compare it with something in real life:

You come into <b>MY</b>server, and complain that you dont like how i run it.

Is the same as:

You come into <b>MY</b> house, and complain you dont like the color of the tiles, and the color of the walls. And you dont like the way the house looks on the outside.

Did you pay for my server? Did you? <b>NO.</b>
    Did you pay for my house? Did you? <b>NO.</b>

Do you have <b>ANY</b> right WHATSOEVER to FLAME me becuase of the way i run <b>MY</b> server? <b>NO.</b>

Also, For anyone who says Flarya could sue me for modding his code, I do not have his code, therefore i cannot modify it.
    Also, If Flayra asks me not to use my mod on MY server, i would just stop running a NS server and respect the fact that he doesnt want me messing with his mod.
    I have found major bugs (Which i have told Flayra about) that would ruin NS until a patch were to be released, Also i told him a fix for the advanced armory's not showing health.

*Removed*
    Sorry.
  • EpochEpoch Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1474Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--voogru+Dec 11 2002, 06:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (voogru @ Dec 11 2002, 06:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What you are doing, To compare it with something in real life:

You come into <b>MY</b>server, and complain that you dont like how i run it.

Is the same as:

You come into <b>MY</b> house, and complain you dont like the color of the tiles, and the color of the walls. And you dont like the way the house looks on the outside.

Did you pay for my server? Did you? <b>NO.</b>
    Did you pay for my house? Did you? <b>NO.</b>

Do you have <b>ANY</b> right WHATSOEVER to FLAME me becuase of the way i run <b>MY</b> server? <b>NO.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Amen to you, I feel exactly the same in regards to my server. Now, why is everyone getting so huffy about this? If you don't like the server, don't play there. It's really not so difficult...
  • MethodMethod Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8848Members
    I play on voogro when I can and I like it there. The only thing I don't agree with is handing out welders. When I confronted one of the admins during the game they said it was because the cmdr was a newbie. Like someone stated before, it is 10 free resources that are used, available anywhere on the map I assume(?), and negates the trouble that the commander is having (which I believe is an obstecle (sp?) built into the game). Also, sometimes you have aliens camping the hive to take the resources of other aliens who die(they lose half their res upon death I think), but that's a different matter.

Overall, I like all the other additions that were made, and feel that they have improved gameplay, as well as decreased the learning curve.
    edited December 2002
    There may be no need, But im just trying to show that I have done some good to the NS community, dispite of you people bashing me left and right. I could have got "even" with you all by telling everyone how to do it, but I didnt did I?
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    We're just beating a dead horse here. We've already had discussions about Voogru's server and his server mod. There is nothing you can do as a community to stop him from running his servers. It's his perogative what he does with his server.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't play there.
This discussion has been closed.