Want to know why you can't connect to most servers?

chbruleschbrules Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72771Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
There are only a handful of servers for people to connect to, so everyone is creating their own server to toy with. However, when they make the servers, they forget to check the "LAN" button. So all these internet servers are registered with the lobby server and everyone tries to join it fruitlessly, because almost all of you are behind NAT routers that don't have port 27015 forwarded. There is also a client/server bug that doesn't check whether the server is full and fruitlessly continue to DDoS the server with connection attempts.

I'd consider making a dedicated server on my co-lo'ed server (100mbps tier-1 bandwidth), but I'm afraid of how much bandwidth and resources this other connection caveat is having. Apparently, the client isn't checking whether the server is full before it attempts to connect, so it will continue to connect indefinitely. This kills the server. After about 1 minute, my system was crawling to a halt from the overload of connections, and I run a AMD X2 6400+ with 8GB of RAM on a FiOS connection.

Fix the client/server bug first, then I'll host a dedicate server for you guys.

Comments

• mohdhmmohdhm Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73039Members
    that is why people host passworded games. To avoid the DDoS attacks.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    so... it's like a zergrush just on servers? Oh my god.
  • viggevigge Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31042Members, Constellation
    just port 27015 doesnt seem to be enough also
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    the server i hosted didn't seem to care about max player counts. The console was flooded with error messages about people wanting to join, them getting disconnect, but here and there would let a person come in to exceed the stated maximum.
  • mohdhmmohdhm Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73039Members
    penguine, it only appears that a person is exceeding the maximum... i think the person isn't even in the game but it still shows his name when you hold tab down. I put on 10 players max and had... 15 players on there... but 5 of them were not real!
  • CordycepCordycep Join Date: 2008-04-27 Member: 64171Members
    I hosted a server just for myself so that I could have a look around. Made the max player count 1, put a password on it and left it as a LAN game and there were still a tonne of people trying to join. All I saw was "user failed to connect, wrong password" or something like that.
  • chbruleschbrules Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72771Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785772:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:48 AM:name=Cordycep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cordycep @ Jul 27 2010, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hosted a server just for myself so that I could have a look around. Made the max player count 1, put a password on it and left it as a LAN game and there were still a tonne of people trying to join. All I saw was "user failed to connect, wrong password" or something like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting. I guess the bug is worse than I thought.

Well, set your IP to private in your NAT router for now, then startup a server :D
  • chbruleschbrules Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72771Members
    Looks like you're wrong about that. I don't know what you were doing, but I set mine to LAN and 1 player and I never received a single connection request.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    yeh the max players is just bugged it's been said before. When you want to play join a passworded server, or join a server with 0-3 players on it, anything more and you're doomed to crash soon..
  • qwiggaloqwiggalo Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42564Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    How do you join a server with a password through console?
    Like this?
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->connect <ip>;password <password><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Cause that didn't work for me.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    It sure is interesting, this will probably be fixed pretty quick - just add some more exceptions to the client/server.

However the bandwidth also seems to be a problem, I read somewhere that someone recorded 140kb/s per client on the server, which is just ridiculous - especially when you combine it with all the ping/join requests.

I was playing on a server pretty good for about 30 seconds last night, then in chat the last thing I saw before it grinded to a halt was the host saying "######, this is far to many players." - guess that fits in with the player limit not working either.

I reckon performance is top of their list now, getting the engine optimized - feel sorry for max though, he is going to be working 24/7.