Has anyone been unable to play?

ZyerroZyerro Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69513Members
I been having issues trying to connect to any servers... it either sits in authenticating or just leaves me with a black screen...Also I am unable to create a Lan server just to see how the game feels...

Any comments, suggestions?

If your having the same issue speak up. XD

Comments

• VodkaGorblaskyVodkaGorblasky Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72838Members
    Yep, many people are having that same problem including myself.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    So far out of all the servers I have tried to connect to, the only one that has worked is the server that was connected directly online, by this I mean with no router.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    To create a server, patience, it takes some time until is fully connected and you can play it. Don't know why but is what happens to me.
  • MiscreationMiscreation Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72837Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--coloro:#bf8222--><span style="color:#bf8222"><!--/coloro-->Try reinstalling NS2, ensuring that you delete everything first. Many others have had the same problem (blank screen, console flooded with errors) and found success by the aforementioned procedure. It may be due to conflicting resources between the pre-alpha and current version. I am re-downloading the alpha too, to see if it fixes the issue.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ZyerroZyerro Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69513Members
    Im going to reinstall it now
  • LandmineLandmine Join Date: 2008-06-21 Member: 64481Members
    Reinstalled and still cant get it to work. Fairly sad that after so many hours of messing with it, I cant get to even load a lan server.
  • ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83 Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
    I can load a LAN server but that's about it. Also, my LAN server has no sound.
  • LandmineLandmine Join Date: 2008-06-21 Member: 64481Members
    Must be nice to be able to load more than a menu.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1785674:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:01 PM:name=Landmine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Landmine @ Jul 27 2010, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reinstalled and still cant get it to work. Fairly sad that after so many hours of messing with it, I cant get to even load a lan server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#bf8222--><span style="color:#bf8222"><!--/coloro-->That's the same problem that I've been having. I cannot join other servers, and when I try to run a LAN game it goes to a black screen. Console is flooded by perpetuating errors.
    On GetSatisfaction some have found that reinstalling the game fixes the issue, though it's apparent now that an equal amount find no resolution via that method.
    I am still waiting for my download to complete, I'll submit my outcome then.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • CupOfSquirrelsCupOfSquirrels Join Date: 2010-05-31 Member: 71910Members
    After reinstalling the game, I found that I could connect to one server (YO Clan's), but the game sort of "froze" (or more likely disconnected) a few seconds in to rendering. I think the game is still rendering, as I can open the console and the chat box text fades out, but can't do anything else.
    <!--coloro:#bf8222--><span style="color:#bf8222"><!--/coloro-->Reinstalling NS2 Alpha did not solve anything for me, I still can't access dedicated servers nor run a LAN game.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • wankalotwankalot Join Date: 2005-02-05 Member: 39872Members
    I re-installed game. Still doesn't seem to want to connect. However, the console at least says "connecting IP <number>"... so at least it is TRYING to establish a connection now
  • [HK]Heretic[HK]Heretic Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73169Members
    I get black screen and stuck at trying to establish connection or authenticating.
  • KyodaKyoda Join Date: 2004-10-30 Member: 32531Members
    I can't open it. It just show to me a quick screen and then nothing.
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786238:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:08 AM:name=[HK]Heretic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([HK]Heretic @ Jul 27 2010, 10:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I get black screen and stuck at trying to establish connection or authenticating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you wait long enough on the black Authenticating connection message then it will probably load. I have found that if it makes it to that step then I can get into the game. I did have to turn my graphics details down to medium though. The game took far far longer to load on high detail and also I had missing textures for marine buildings. On medium, I can usually get into a server (if it's not a listen server behind a firewall) after letting it sit there on the black screen for a couple of minutes.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Has anybody tried forwarding port 27015 in their router, see if that works.

I'd try it myself since i have the problem but i don't have my routers password at hand right now :p
  • jimnablazedjimnablazed Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69946Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786304:date=Jul 27 2010, 04:48 PM:name=Cerebral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cerebral @ Jul 27 2010, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you wait long enough on the black Authenticating connection message then it will probably load. I have found that if it makes it to that step then I can get into the game. I did have to turn my graphics details down to medium though. The game took far far longer to load on high detail and also I had missing textures for marine buildings. On medium, I can usually get into a server (if it's not a listen server behind a firewall) after letting it sit there on the black screen for a couple of minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For me if I ever get to "Authenticating..." I get disconnected with a message box saying "Reason unknown".

Anyone else get this?
  • strikeforcestrikeforce Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22523Members, Constellation
    I found the attached it might help.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110457" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=110457</a>
  • SquishyTomatoSquishyTomato Join Date: 2005-06-27 Member: 54761Members
    still unable for me
  • JuraiJurai Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73178Members
    havent been able to join a single server all day, quite frustrating though I understand it's still alpha. I really hope they push updates out rapidly. Also get rid of the stupid as hell bars for ping level, show a numeric value ffs
  • RooKRooK Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21694Members, Constellation
    So there were some discussions about this in IRC...

They were saying that since about 5000 people were trying to join about 300 servers that the servers are getting flooded and can't cope as this is an <i><b>ALPHA</b></i> build :)
  • JuraiJurai Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73178Members
    one would hope that somewhere along the lines a discussion took place about having the client see if a server is full :/
  • TarionTarion Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73191Members
    edited July 2010
    Similar problem here: If I successfully connect to a server, or start a lan server of my own, it will hang up with a black screen, standard sound playing in the background and the "press F1 for bug reports" message displayed.

EDIT: Interesting. As soon as I set the details to low, it worked. Maybe you just have to wait a BIG while for it to load.
  • -Nemesis--Nemesis- Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786534:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:14 PM:name=Tarion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tarion @ Jul 27 2010, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Similar problem here: If I successfully connect to a server, or start a lan server of my own, it will hang up with a black screen, standard sound playing in the background and the "press F1 for bug reports" message displayed.

EDIT: Interesting. As soon as I set the details to low, it worked. Maybe you just have to wait a BIG while for it to load.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasnt there a similar problem with the "engine test"... some computers would randomly hang within seconds of a map loading - and it was solved by ticking the "run windowed" option...

it happened to me, but the alpha works full screen for me now... give it ago :)

P.S - Dont get too hung up about it (pun intended) they will be releasing shed loads of updates and fixes :)