Getting up and running with NS2/Decoda

ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
So, here's what I've done:

- Created a mod in Launchpad
- Copied all of steamapps\common\natural selection 2 to it's dir
- Ran Decoda (I've tried from Launchpad and from the exe in the new location)
- Loaded ns2.deproj
- Modified BiteLeap.lua to make leap (secondary) cost 0 energy as a test
- Saved changes
- Debug->Start without Debugging, change isn't there
- Ran NS2 shortcut from Launchpad with mod selected, change isn't there
- Ran NS2.exe from the project folder, change isn't there

Halp?

It's lua so I shouldn't have to be rebuilding anything, but every way I try to run the game it just runs it vanilla.
I'm quite sure I'm missing something easy and obvious, or I'm just doing it wrong completely, but half an hour of trolling forums hasn't found me any answers, and no one seems to be on IRC at the moment.

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I honsetly don't know what im talking about, but have picked your gamemode in the create window?
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There is no additional game mode, do I have to create one somehow? What if I just wanted to modified the default one?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought if one creates a new mod in the Launchpad, it will automatically be in the gamemode list. I did not mod anything yet with this tools so i'm sorry i can't help you there. Maybe it's not updated yet to work with the steamclient, because first it was a folder system - i dont know.
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm pretty sure a new mod would be a new game, including executable, not just a game mode.
  • toAzrontoAzron Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26786Awaiting Authorization, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    worked for me.

Change line 51 in BiteLeap.lua from
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function BiteLeap:GetSecondaryEnergyCost(player)
        return 40
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

to
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function BiteLeap:GetSecondaryEnergyCost(player)
        return 0
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

and restart the server
    That's exactly what I tried. How did you run ns2.exe? Through Launchpad?
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    I got it to work by creating a new game in the launchpad and then starting NS2 with that gamemode.
  • toAzrontoAzron Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26786Awaiting Authorization, Constellation
    I haven't actually used the launch pad yet (besides looking at it). Opened the ded server via command line and opened the game though steam and connected via lan
    <!--quoteo(post=1786856:date=Jul 27 2010, 03:01 PM:name=MCMLXXXIV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MCMLXXXIV @ Jul 27 2010, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got it to work by creating a new game in the launchpad and then starting NS2 with that gamemode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If by having the new game selected in the drop box and then running NS2, that's exactly what I did.

<!--quoteo(post=1787026:date=Jul 27 2010, 04:37 PM:name=toAzron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toAzron @ Jul 27 2010, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't actually used the launch pad yet (besides looking at it). Opened the ded server via command line and opened the game though steam and connected via lan<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haven't tried that, will do when I get home.
  • MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    try creating a new folder in your 'steamapps\common\natural selection 2' folder. name it the name of your mod. use the ns2 folder as a structure on how to build it. I dont know any more beyond that part.
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    I'm actually having this problem too. I have copied the steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2 folder into it's own folder, added a new "Game", pointing at that folder into Launchpad, then tried making changes and then running the game with that "game" selected in launchpad. Still haven't been able to get it working. I've also tried the pre-alpha way of adding "/game \path\to\mod\folder" into the path of a shortcut, and this doesn't appear to work either.
  • Thraka2Thraka2 Join Date: 2002-12-03 Member: 10426Members
    Yeah, it's not really clear how to make a new mod that you can select in the drop down.
    1) Is there a specific lua file I need to make that is auto executed by the mod?
    2) How do I configure the mod settings (friendly name etc)
    3) If I copy a ns2 lua file into my mod\lua directory, will mine overwrite it?
    4) Can you make server-side only mods?

*Sigh* I wanna play :)
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    I just tried this:

Copy the ns2 folder in your Natural Selection 2 directory to a new folder with a new name (eg mod)
    Run ns2.exe -game mod
    It showed the code changes I'd made only to the code in the mod directory (adding Flashlight to the bindings menu by editing Bindings.lua)
    Not sure how to selectively override code from ns2 directory... perhaps it does it by default?
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2010
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790620:date=Aug 2 2010, 07:10 AM:name=shad3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shad3r @ Aug 2 2010, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just tried this:

Copy the ns2 folder in your Natural Selection 2 directory to a new folder with a new name (eg mod)
    Run ns2.exe -game mod
    It showed the code changes I'd made only to the code in the mod directory (adding Flashlight to the bindings menu by editing Bindings.lua)
    Not sure how to selectively override code from ns2 directory... perhaps it does it by default?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thank you! i was using the pre-alpha /game switch: "\path\to\ns2\exe /game \path\to\mod\folder" on a shortcut and that didn't work.
    I switched it to "\path\to\ns2\exe -game \path\to\mod\folder" and it worked perfectly!