Try to enter in server and it won't load - READ HERE

ExceptorExceptor Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72558Members
Hello all folks...
friends, if you have installed NS2 and trying to enter in a server and its saying Retrieving connection and dsnt load, try this:

When you enter in the server choise, choise the server and press the console button (')
if the game says messages of mismatch files, you need to unstall and re-install him on STEAM.

cheers

Comments

• injectioninjection Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8827Members
  • LandmineLandmine Join Date: 2008-06-21 Member: 64481Members
    What if it says" Error in packet" ?
  • OmgWtfErrorOmgWtfError Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73091Members
    will try it, cheers
  • OmgWtfErrorOmgWtfError Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73091Members
    will try it, cheers
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tried it - cannot connect to any servers. I reinstalled it, too. Maybe we have to wait for a fix :( but thanks.
  • Denton22Denton22 Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70878Members
    Same problem...

Had it already in Engine test that i can just Host but not connect
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I had to wait a really long time to connect to a server. However, I eventually made it. After around 5-10 minutes.

So sometimes you just have to wait.

To get a good estimate, try loading up ns_tram in a LAN server and see how long that takes. That is the MINIMUM time it will take to get into the server since you have to load the map once you connect.
  • ekweetnieekweetnie Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73104Members
    Just out of interest, have you guys tried restarting steam?

This was happening for me and once i restarted steam it did a bit of an update.. haven't tested yet but can only assume this will now work!
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1785781:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=ekweetnie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ekweetnie @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just out of interest, have you guys tried restarting steam?

This was happening for me and once i restarted steam it did a bit of an update.. haven't tested yet but can only assume this will now work!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First thing I did was rebooting, didn't solve it

I was able to connect to some servers though, it just got laggy sometimes
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    Did this, restarted steam and console was fine when selecting the server. Left my PC for 15min while it was "connecting" but still connecting screen. Hopefully it's resolved tonight.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    In general I'm getting the feeling the server code is just kinda bleh right now.

So hopefully it's near the top of the fix list.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I get stuck on authenticating rather than attempting connection.
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    Guys just disconnect and keep retrying servers. Ofc it will get fixed eventually, until then just do with what you can ;d
  • GhozerGhozer Join Date: 2003-05-22 Member: 16617Members, Constellation
    I get "Attempting Connection" at the top left, and thats it, I can open the console, but canno't get back to the main menu or server browser, I have to 'quit' in console and re-start the game...
  • ThechuzThechuz Join Date: 2010-03-03 Member: 70814Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Same here, not been able to play the game due to the ''Attempting Connection'' bug.
  • RivuRivu Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73136Members
    I'm a third.
    Disappointing so far. Havn't touched NS for years, and was psyked that I heard NSII was out and I could get in this "alpha".
    Still, it is still WIP. Hoping for a fix!
  • NvrmoreNvrmore Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73129Members
    Same goes for me. I have read about NS II being in production for a while now and got excited because I played NS I in its earlier days and really liked it. I'm like the king of NAT errors when it comes to hosting/joining multiplayer servers, so it actually felt like a relief that everyone is having the same problem. :P

But this will get fixed. I can't imagine this not being their top priority right now. Patience is a virtue. :)
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Also got the Attempting to connect issue...

I left it for a bit and no go, the router shows a flurry of activity while NS 2 is the active window but stops activity when you use Task Manager to move focus from the NS 2 window.

Prehaps some more feedback in the console as to what is happening may make it more easier to understand... say for example:

Initilising...
    Attempting to connect to server [ip] ...
    Server found attempting to authenticate ...
    Athentication successfull loading map ...
    Ready to play...

All I get is attempting to connect and the heavy activity on the router... seems it finds the server fine but is busy with some other task but without feedback on the status its not possible to tell.
  • aetschiaetschi Join Date: 2007-04-15 Member: 60639Members, Constellation
    same problem with "Attempting Connection..." :(

How about the fps? It doesn't matter whether reselution i set, always fps lags...
  • gotmuffgotmuff Join Date: 2009-07-27 Member: 68276Members
    I hang at "Attempting connection..." for about 5 minutes (no console activity), then the message becomes "Authenticating...." - at which point the console just keeps spamming 'Error in packet', which just keeps going continuously.
  • SpetsnazSpetsnaz Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24761Members, Constellation
    im getting the Attempting Connection problem aswell.
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    This did nothing for me. Game crashes as I try to join or start a server.
  • crakinshotcrakinshot Join Date: 2010-07-06 Member: 72271Members
    edited July 2010
    Same here... Give details on computer and connection maybe there will be a correlation.

I'm on wireless LAN, windows 7 64-bit, no firewall, Nod32 virus scanner.

I think the fact there is no easy way to cancel and go back to the menu is annoying though.
  • kallethkalleth Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2574Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786004:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:10 PM:name=Rivu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rivu @ Jul 27 2010, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a third.
    Disappointing so far. Havn't touched NS for years, and was psyked that I heard NSII was out and I could get in this "alpha".
    Still, it is still WIP. Hoping for a fix!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do understand that this is a proper, real alpha? Not what most production companies CALL an alpha which is basically the full game as a marketing stunt, but a true alpha, in that it WILL be broken and its likely you won't be able to play because there will be a ridiculous number of bugs that you need to report so they can be fixed?

Don't get angry; the only reason you should be downloading and trying to 'play' this alpha is to report bugs. If you're looking for a fun gaming experience you're in the wrong place right now, come back in 6 months.
  • {FRG}Stinkbugg{FRG}Stinkbugg Join Date: 2010-06-28 Member: 72189Members
    this is an alpha, i dont think allot of people get this, it has bugs.... allot.... duh, thats why they do this. just take your time uwe, dont feel rushed by everyone crying because this or thT dosent work. Taking the time to fig stuff out will be worth it in the long run, and no i cant play it either yet but its ok, we've waited years for a sequel, whats another week or month.
  • WalhallaWalhalla Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43506Members
    edited July 2010
    Sorry for my bad english:

If you can´t conect to a server, you must restart your System. Not just Stem, restart your computer.

German:
    Ich musste mein System auch neu starten um auf einen Server zu kommen. Nur Steam neu zu starten hat nicht gereicht.
    Um die Console zu öffnen einfach die Taste ° drücken (links neben der Taste 1)
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    Just try to connect to another server, I get this bug with some servers and to some I can connect.
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    Got the same problem here with it spamming error in packet in the console. I'm on windows 7 64bit, on a wired connection, no firewall and running AVG.
  • mu.mu. Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63276Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1786050:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:02 AM:name=gotmuff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gotmuff @ Jul 27 2010, 08:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hang at "Attempting connection..." for about 5 minutes (no console activity), then the message becomes "Authenticating...." - at which point the console just keeps spamming 'Error in packet', which just keeps going continuously.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i got this from every server i tried. i believe it is because LAN games are showing up in the server list, and of course they are simply not available for any connections. i have heard this might be happening, and i don't know what else it could be.
  • [HK]Heretic[HK]Heretic Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73169Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785574:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:08 AM:name=Exceptor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Exceptor @ Jul 27 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello all folks...
    friends, if you have installed NS2 and trying to enter in a server and its saying Retrieving connection and dsnt load, try this:

When you enter in the server choise, choise the server and press the console button (')
    if the game says messages of mismatch files, you need to unstall and re-install him on STEAM.

cheers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see a black screen, with Attemping Connection...

The console says:
    <div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>Build 149
    RenderDevice: blah blah
    Connecting to server someip:27015
    [*]</div>

[attachment=35945:ns2_error.png]