My thoughts on the Alpha

InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
Well i know its alpha, i didnt expect a lot, i knew i wasn't going to be able to play a round successfully, i knew it wasn't gonna perform well on my rig.

I am disappointed i cant play, i made a lan server and got to fool around with some of the stuff, even on 600x400 resolution and lowest settings possible with shadows disabled(r_shadows false) my fps is still trash, but i got a nvidia 6800 so i didnt expect it to run better, but it did, i got a good 20-30 fps(mostly 20, actually was always 15-20 expect looking at walls)

What i did get was A LOT more than id even expect from the final versions of the alpha.

It performed better than Lead and Gold, which is being advertised for free weekend on steam this past weekend, and thats a fully finished game.

It looked sexy, and extremely fresh from NS1.

When i was playing in LAN testing ###### out i kept trying to find things.

After seeing the alien form specific upgrades(no tool tips but the names give you a clue) I was pumped.

The game seems like it is heading its way to a master piece, just the little things i noticed and changes and things we still have no idea about(such as the 2 resources plasma/metal, mostly Metal) just are keeping me so excited, the alien commander also looks amazing! giving the aliens a more team coordinated style

The skulk movement seemed really great and the right click leap is great, although i do miss parasite.

Gorge spit seemed unfinished, other than that was also great, the new mouth cams are great also.

The lerk, i kept crashing before i could test this out.

Marines seemed great, i cant wait to see the upgrades that marines get also.

So far the game just holds so much potential that will all come together with the final release.

The people at UWE have done great so far, really great, i cant wait to see more of the alpha releases.

So far my only dissapointment towards this is performance.

I hope each week more optimization is done, other than that, i think its slowly reaching perfection.

Comments

• minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    hehe all they need now is gorge plushies :P
  • sasuke2490sasuke2490 Join Date: 2010-06-12 Member: 72034Members
    ya now i would hold out on content and focus on bugs and optimization and connectivity etc...
  • RobSpewackRobSpewack Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71305Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm heartened to hear you say that. Too many of the servers that I could connect to tonight were full of people complaining about pretty much everything. It frustrates me to no end to hear people being allowed to participate in an <i><b>alpha</b></i> test, and incessantly whining about the game not working well, if at all. Even those of you who are having issues connecting to a server, there's at least <i>one</i> on that list that will work for you, and the fact that servers can be connected to at all puts this ahead of other game launches.

Be happy you get to be here at the beginning. Enjoy the fact that a year from now, when you're in clans, playing scrims, working out strats, you and those of us going through all these first few weeks will be amazed at how far things have come, and proud that we helped shape it.
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    gd words rob gd words "clap clap clap"
  • NiccoliNiccoli Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67645Members
    Anytime you have any testing by people who "paid to get in" you'll most likely hear endless complaining. Knowing that in advance, just ignore the crap and enjoy what you can. ;)

Now if only my alpha key would show up. Tomorrow most likely.
  • Iseng4rdIseng4rd Join Date: 2005-01-12 Member: 35064Members
    How can you see the FPS?
  • SpiderfaceSpiderface Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72964Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785362:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:01 AM:name=Iseng4rd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iseng4rd @ Jul 27 2010, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How can you see the FPS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    FRAPS or something similar.
  • ItsJonoItsJono Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73053Members
    There are several thousand people who also pre-ordered, why is it that your opinions in particular matter over the rest? Threads like these make absolutely no sense to me.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Since they decided to use a deffered renderer everyone is going to need half decent graphics cards.. Unless they completely change the render path a 48xx based card or NV equivalent will be needed I think...
  • TribalbobTribalbob Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73048Members
    I work in the games industry, myself - and my old Design lead always asked us designers to ask ourselves something each day as we'd work on a new feature, or a new level or what have you. He told us to ask ourselves "Can you see the awesome?"

I have to say, from what I've seen so far, yes - I can see the awesome :).
  • Battle-BugBattle-Bug Join Date: 2010-02-11 Member: 70523Members
    edited July 2010
    Connection problems aside, I do see something I don't like. Ping is either 3 green bars, 2 yellow bars, or 1 red bar. I'd rather see numbers for ping. Creative solution: color the numbers.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785525:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:48 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Jul 27 2010, 05:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are several thousand people who also pre-ordered, why is it that your opinions in particular matter over the rest? Threads like these make absolutely no sense to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone, i dont think they matter over anyone else's, i made this thread to focus on the positives of the alpha.

I dont think anyone in this thread thinks theres are more important either, what is wrong in your head?
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    edited July 2010
    Definitely liking what I saw, just wish the days would fly by quicker so we could get some more. Came across a lot of bugs, as is normal for the game in this state. Off the top of my head...

1) Build bot sometimes won't build.
    2) Build bot can fly off the map when told to move in commander mode.
    3) Hitboxes are still a bit of a mess.
    4) Still getting repeating gun fire sound loops when firing weapons.
    5) When crouched, a second muzzle flash near the top of the screen appears when firing.
    6) Performance is quite poor.
    7) It appears players can join your LAN games...from the internet.

Fortunately, some of these sound like mild bug fixes. The performance will take some tweaking, but should be fine by alpha. The full gameplay, when unlocked, sounds like it will be really cool. We are missing so much yet the game already shows so much promise.
  • ColJonesColJones Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72673Members
    I was fairly impressed as well, not overjoyed but still intrigued. I have a genuine concern though that this game being released as an alpha was a mistake. I think UWE is overestimating the intelligence of the average gamer and I'm hoping most people who bought alpha realize the implications of it being an alpha.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785525:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:48 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Jul 27 2010, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are several thousand people who also pre-ordered, why is it that your opinions in particular matter over the rest? Threads like these make absolutely no sense to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's....a <b>forum</b> o.O
  • ColJonesColJones Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72673Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785525:date=Jul 27 2010, 02:48 AM:name=ItsJono)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ItsJono @ Jul 27 2010, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are several thousand people who also pre-ordered, why is it that your opinions in particular matter over the rest? Threads like these make absolutely no sense to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why is your opinion that threads like this are pointless important enough to warrant posting? Why is your opinion more important than that of the OP? Posts like this make absolutely no sense to me.
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1785682:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:03 AM:name=ColJones)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColJones @ Jul 27 2010, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is your opinion that threads like this are pointless important enough to warrant posting? Why is your opinion more important than that of the OP? Posts like this make absolutely no sense to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like to read these threads especially because I haven't got to try it out yet myself. Tho I'm teasing myself in the process .. :P
  • brechtosbrechtos Belgium Join Date: 2008-04-18 Member: 64100Members, Reinforced - Gold
    You can view your fps via the r_stats console command.
    If I'm not mistaken atm changing your visual settings will not alter allot and do take into account that this is an alpha so lots of things will not work as they are still being implemented.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    My thoughts, once I managed to get in: it's freaking dope. And....it can only get better! Honestly I'm happier than the <a href="http://www.gocompare.com/gio-compario/" target="_blank">Go Compare guy</a>!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785362:date=Jul 26 2010, 10:01 PM:name=Iseng4rd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iseng4rd @ Jul 26 2010, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How can you see the FPS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Type r_stats 1 into the console.
  • zaggehzaggeh Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72850Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785315:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:50 AM:name=minibanana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minibanana @ Jul 27 2010, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hehe all they need now is gorge plushies :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd totally buy one. <3

Will see if I can get to testing myself when I get back from work.
    Will most likely play with sound off if the audio loops are still there. >.>
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    FPS=5 How can i make this game run on 100fps (Hoping for a miracle here...)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I was maybe hoping a bit more playability on the areas they've decided to include, but hey, it's alpha.
  • p00se2p00se2 Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72396Members
    my thoughts :

"attempting connection"

fail xD
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786028:date=Jul 27 2010, 11:36 AM:name=p00se2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (p00se2 @ Jul 27 2010, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my thoughts :

"attempting connection"

fail xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to the club. Alpha is not even playable because you cannot join. And if you do by miracle join a server, fps will be 5. So basically they released an unplayable alpha. I didn't expect much, but the engine test is WAAAAY better than alpha, at least when it comes to performance. It's sad to see UWE taking a step back. Play engine test guys! It rocks compared to alpha.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1786035:date=Jul 27 2010, 03:44 AM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Jul 27 2010, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Welcome to the club. Alpha is not even playable because you cannot join. And if you do by miracle join a server, fps will be 5. So basically they released an unplayable alpha. I didn't expect much, but the engine test is WAAAAY better than alpha, at least when it comes to performance. It's sad to see UWE taking a step back. Play engine test guys! It rocks compared to alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wouldn't say that. Once the overlooked Connecting bug is fixed it will run way better than the engine test.
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    I just hosted a few games, and I like where its going.

I imagine they are working on the hit detection and performance issues. Which were the only real "issues" I came across.

Admittedly, running about as a skulk with 15fps can get a bit annoying! considering when the round started I was pushing 50+ haha.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786035:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:44 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Jul 27 2010, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Welcome to the club. Alpha is not even playable because you cannot join.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Online multiplayer is kinda scrwed yea but make a LAN and you can try skulk,gorge, marine plus play alien and human commander.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    The FPS only gets bad when a lot of people join the server. I like to play on those small servers that don't have too many people on them. So far it's been a lot of fun, even though it doesn't work too well.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    far from finished (Well that is an obvious comment)

But from what I seen and played its awesome, I cant wait until its polished, I will try to give feedback where I can. Please keep the cute little growl the gorge does when you press z.. I almost died from cute..

I must admit the alien commander is well done and the drones and robots are great, you are definitely heading in the right direction. There is of course your bugs, like drones disappearing after something is built (bug?), when the host leaves the server the player is stuck on a freezed frame, the connection problems and also the inability to go back to the menu when your stuck on connecting. These are of course things that can be fixed in due time. For now I can only say good work and keep it up! You are so close!