Balc Screen at Startup

GigaShadowGigaShadow Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18761Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Technical issue</div>sorry that should be black screen at startup, in a rush when i typed that :P

im experiancy some technical issues when the game starts up, when i first installed the alpha it only started in windowed mode, tried to change to full screen but each time i tried it, it would switch back and forth from grey to dark black screen every few seconds trying to put at full screen and changing the res then crashed with it being extremly difficult to stop it switching, tried for 10 mins eventually it crashed on it own.

now its stuck on full screen mode and each time i start i can hear the main menu music but keeps switching back and forth to a grey then black screen, and i cant change it back to windowed mode or see anything.

ive also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and the settings remain the same.

probably makes no sense but is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Comments

• AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    You're playing the engine test, not the alpha. The alpha isn't out for about another 6 hours.

Now if the Alpha does this too, THEN you have something to worry about. :D
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    First the alpha still isnt out yet: you have downloaded the test engine. The alpha will not be out for a few hours still.

Second read and do this to make sure your machine is probably prepared to run the alpha:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110184" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=110184</a>

Third: understand the alpha is the first playable version of a game that is full of bugs and errors and the purpose of alpha testing is to find those out.
  • QuadieQuadie Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11862Members
    Yep, the engine test wasn't meant to work for everyone. Just wait some hours for the alpha and hope it will run without problems.
  • GigaShadowGigaShadow Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18761Members
    fair enough im and idiot :P

did look like the right thing tho :P bah work has put me out of place on forums
  • MagnetBoxMagnetBox Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72813Members
    I had the exact same issue after I selected a mode my monitor didn't want to support. Your user options are stored in the Application Data folder. Goto Start->Run and type in '%appdata%' (without quotes). This will open Windows Explorer in the correct folder. Go to the Natural Selection 2 subfolder and edit the options.xml file. The fullscreen and resolution options are right at the top.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1783993:date=Jul 26 2010, 01:40 PM:name=MagnetBox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MagnetBox @ Jul 26 2010, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had the exact same issue after I selected a mode my monitor didn't want to support. Your user options are stored in the Application Data folder. Goto Start->Run and type in '%appdata%' (without quotes). This will open Windows Explorer in the correct folder. Go to the Natural Selection 2 subfolder and edit the options.xml file. The fullscreen and resolution options are right at the top.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This will fix it right now, but let us know if it's not working in the alpha by pressing F1 in game an using the built-in reporter.
  • ckreonckreon Join Date: 2009-06-30 Member: 67977Members
    I've gotta say, allowing access to the reporter system through the game itself was genius.

I know that will certainly lead to more issues being submitted, probably more accurately too.
    F1 didnt seem to work with this bug as it looked like the monitor was switching itself off, each time i even did ctrl alt del it reset me back to the grey screen after a few seconds
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1784032:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:00 PM:name=GigaShadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GigaShadow @ Jul 26 2010, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1784032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->F1 didnt seem to work with this bug as it looked like the monitor was switching itself off, each time i even did ctrl alt del it reset me back to the grey screen after a few seconds<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, usa the %appdata% method mentioned above to change it back to windowed. And the F1 thing is only showing up when the alpha comes out here :)
    i know, but if happens in the actual game then it cant be reported, if not ill report back in this thread with details of comp spec etc