Why Not a Midnight Release?

SquawkSquawk Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72535Members
<div class="IPBDescription">We get them for movies, why not games?</div>When "we the people" see fit to stay up all night for the chance to be the first to view a movie, we are accommodated with a midnight release. Why then, when we are willing to pay extra to be part of an Alpha release (as well as staying up all night), are we not allowed the same accommodations. If I judge the countdown timer properly, then it seems as though this game will release at 6pm my time. Not in an hour, as I would so much love. It was the same with the Alien Swarm release just over a week ago. That game was to be released at 1pm but was delayed until 3pm. I say we as a people mandate staggered midnight releases like we enjoy for new movies!

Comments

• Black_OperativeBlack_Operative Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16957Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Because it's not a retail game release, it's an alpha test.
  • QUADQUAD Join Date: 2002-07-17 Member: 963Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1783458:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:00 AM:name=Black_Operative)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black_Operative @ Jul 26 2010, 02:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because it's not a retail game release, it's an alpha test.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was going to add an indignant answer, but I feel like this post does it less scathingly and more succinctly than I ever could.
  • N_RecoupN_Recoup Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36126Members
    But I яeally wanted to play now!
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    I actually find midnight releases mildly annoying, particularly when it's a Wednesday release at 00:01 AM and I work at 07:00 AM the next day. :p
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1783460:date=Jul 26 2010, 06:01 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 26 2010, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ya that'll stop the mod makers. And way to tell the devs that all the work they put into making the game extremely easy to mod was for nothing (including custom tool creation for scripting, mapping, etc). Btw it's not NS "the game", it's NS the lua-MOD on whatever they named the engine, so ya expect change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you desperately want a midnight launch then there's something else coming out tomorrow. :D
  • TurtleTurtle Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1540Members
    Also, because it's a test, it's more useful to them to release it at an hour of the day where they're in the office, active and ready to deal with any problems that may or may not come up on release day.

And it's most likely problems will come up, and thus if they had released at midnight, they would have had to spend tonight up all night trying to fix it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Because most people would rather be awake at normal and sensible hours.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1783456:date=Jul 26 2010, 01:59 AM:name=Squawk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squawk @ Jul 26 2010, 01:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Squawk Squawk Squawk... are we not allowed the same accommodations. Squawk Squawk Squawk I say we as a people mandate staggered midnight releases like we enjoy for new movies! Squawk Squawk Squawk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Ugh! FFS what a pretentious post. Movies get finished months in advance and the technical... ahh! F! this... nevermind. Please tell me you where joking...

Because!
  • ArrowheadArrowhead Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43198Members
    Alot of people seem to be under the impression that tomorrow is release day for NS2. It's not. It's just the beginning of alpha tests!

Also, don't be all hypercritical after you tried the alpha test, and get the impression that the game isn't finished or something. The game certainly isn't finished! It's an alpha test!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1783456:date=Jul 26 2010, 05:59 AM:name=Squawk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squawk @ Jul 26 2010, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When "we the people" see fit to stay up all night for the chance to be the first to view a movie, we are accommodated with a midnight release. Why then, when we are willing to pay extra to be part of an Alpha release (as well as staying up all night), are we not allowed the same accommodations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's your choice, no one has forced you to there.

<!--quoteo(post=1783456:date=Jul 26 2010, 05:59 AM:name=Squawk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squawk @ Jul 26 2010, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I judge the countdown timer properly, then it seems as though this game will release at 6pm my time. Not in an hour, as I would so much love. It was the same with the Alien Swarm release just over a week ago. That game was to be released at 1pm but was delayed until 3pm. I say we as a people mandate staggered midnight releases like we enjoy for new movies!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The timer is not a countdown until the release of the alpha. The countdown is how much longer the special edition is being sold for. The actual release of the alpha game is 'any time' on the 26/7/2010 Western American time.
  • SquawkSquawk Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72535Members
    Wow. Yea it was a joke actually. Surprised anyone took it seriously. Would anyone really use "we the people" without being facetious?
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    In that case. Patience is a Virtue.
This discussion has been closed.