NS1 within NS2 (Classic Mode)

SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Old School NS, You know you want it!!!</div>In a half hour ready room debate last night long time players of NS1 voiced some concerns with NS2 that had me and a few others worried about how the gameplay change will lose alot of die hard players.

Topics such as multiple commanders , alien commanders and even life form abilities came up.

A show of hands said that they would have gladly accepted a revised updated graphics NS1 for the same money. Rumor of onos without devour, !?!?!?!? , The best feature of the menacing monster!! or skulk without parasite, no way!?!?!? (best early warning sytem out there).

I know these are just rumors but please consider an NS1 Classic Mode as a majority of people like the way it was.

To be completely Balanced in life ,one must digest a hvy daily.

Comments

• PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    I do agree with you.

I think there should be 2 different modes. The NS2 mode with 2 commanders (Aliens and Marines) but also the NS1 classic without an alien commander and 3 hives.

People liked NS1 because the 2 sides were different and in NS2 they are slowing becoming similar but on the other hand people like NS2 because there are 2 commanders and it will be more like an RTS.

Overall, introducing NS1 classic to NS2 is a very good idea. ;)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2010
    Bad idea because then you would be killing the NS1 community in the process.

If someone wants a "NS1" experience, then nothing short of the actual hl1 mod will provide it.

And besides, their are MANY things about NS1 which are now labeled as unbalanced and flawed which were dropped to make NS2 more enjoyable... and what you're asking is that all of that re-balancing work was pointless because NS2 should of been NS1 + graphics.

Don't forget, webs were dropped also because they were overpowered.

And multiple coms = less games where 1 ###### up com ruins the round, game after game [btw the alien team is com-oriented now as well].

Their's far to many improvements in NS2 to list here (and some minor things which i don't enjoy... but they have nothing to do with "being done better in NS1").

BTW their have been so many SE preorders that i would say the majority of the NS1 community wants NS2 regardless of the minor gameplay changes. The fact that you were asking these questions in a NS1 game actually skews your results [because not all NS1 fans still play NS1 actively, or were present in that game to provide feedback. The words of a fade or onos ###### do not the community represent lol].
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Mod it in yourself.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781401:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:06 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jul 21 2010, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781401"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rumor of onos without devour, !?!?!?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I rather liked it before the onos got that ability.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I think you have to adapt an ns1 classic mod to the ns2 gameplay a bit.
    If you can use the same maps, you already have lot less work to do and it helps people to get into the mod easier.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I see there are mixed emotions on the subject and very valid ones at that.

Allot of the pre-orders didn't have a clue that it was changing so much, as in the funding to make the changes came from our pre-orders long ago. so if you think about that allot of us actually contributed to the changes that we didn't want.

Maybe the answer is to make a mod and it would be possible to do but very time consuming for a small group in turn brings me backto looking at porting plugins like sea_commai and modifying to handle the roles of different comm positions.

Has anyone really got into the decoda yet and thought about building modules.

I'll look into it but not sure how much time i have but in the mean time i think the devs should consider this game mode as it is what made unknown worlds "know" to most of this community.

Maybe someday Mr. Cleveland will get bored and lock himself in his apartment again.
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    I never thought I would agree with focusedwolf.

There's no point in making an NS:spark like they did with half-life:source. The HL1 mod is the official and true one, and if you want to revert play that game. You can probably mod it yourself anyways, but I don't think that the dev team should be responsible for producing that game. This is suppose to be a sequel with many of the old parts of the game but a lot new too.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    From what I understand the UWE team has managed to program the actual gamecode for NS2 in a relatively short time. Mind you they know their engine intimately and such but I doubt it would take very much time for a dedicated lua coder much less a small community team of them to actually code something similar to NS1 in the very versatile LUA system. I think we will see NS1 Classic, Combat, and what not mods popping up in no time at all. Until then we will have to settle with and most likely learn to enjoy and love NS2 vanilla gameplay as much as we do NS1. I say bring it all on...
    <!--quoteo(post=1781483:date=Jul 21 2010, 04:09 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jul 21 2010, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allot of the pre-orders didn't have a clue that it was changing so much, as in the funding to make the changes came from our pre-orders long ago. <u>so if you think about that allot of us actually contributed to the changes that we didn't want.</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to the club. As long as my rifle kills fades then i'll be happy. Btw... this game is going to attract an entire new community, that actually likes NS2. Anyone that doesn't want to be a part of this will choose to play other games, but i think now is a little late to suddenly realize that NS2 is not a carbon copy of NS1. What is the point of this thread again?

<!--quoteo(post=1781483:date=Jul 21 2010, 04:09 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jul 21 2010, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe the answer is to make a mod and it would be possible to do but very time consuming for a small group in turn brings me backto looking at porting plugins like sea_commai and modifying to handle the roles of different comm positions.

Has anyone really got into the decoda yet and thought about building modules.

I'll look into it but not sure how much time i have but in the mean time i think the devs should consider this game mode as it is what made unknown worlds "know" to most of this community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Better start now cause i hear NS2 doesn't have CO. Btw the hell if i'm going to play in a server that nerfs all marine weapons to NS1 settings :P
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited July 2010
    I think a guy named asmodee was about to make NS1 in source. You can read more <a href="http://www.evolvens.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=16" target="_blank">here</a>. I do not know how the progress is atm. It seems dead, but I am not sure. This was one of the best ideas I've heard, because I never wanted NS2 really, I just wanted NS1 in better quality (with 100% same gameplay as in v3.2).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    If I wanted to play NS1 I'd play NS1, the fact that I haven't for years suggests that I don't really want to play NS1.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited July 2010
    i think when people hear about changes one at a time (e.g. no devour) they apply it to the gameplay concept of ns1. And of course this makes it seem strange.

but when you take the all of the changes, and new features of NS2 it starts to make sense.

Also i'm certain there will be a classic mode remake - but i bet you 5 nanites that once people see how much better balanced ns2 is then this mod won't get played that much.

UWE are really committed to make a game that fixes all of the issues of ns1 - a superior game. They aren't make little changes here and there just for the sake of it.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781676:date=Jul 22 2010, 10:01 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jul 22 2010, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think when people hear about changes one at a time (e.g. no devour)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They remove the devour?
    What will replace it?
    eek

@Topic, with lua, everything is possible, even a NS1 classic mode :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1781680:date=Jul 22 2010, 06:09 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Jul 22 2010, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They remove the devour?
    What will replace it?
    eek<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that better have been sarcasm...
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    @OP, what we've been saying for months now. Changes have been mainstream-ified and will alienate old-school fans at the expense of gaining a newer wider audience, all of which who will ironically abandon it for the next MW series as soon as it's out.

I would support an NS1 mod, but really it's fitting a screw where a nail belongs. Not only would it still not be the proper sequel NS1 deserved, it will just serve to fragment the community further, a problem we've already predicted is going to be a plague unless an innovative solution presents itself.
    <!--quoteo(post=1781697:date=Jul 22 2010, 05:02 AM:name=Renegade.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Renegade. @ Jul 22 2010, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@OP, what we've been saying for months now. Changes have been mainstream-ified and will alienate old-school fans at the expense of gaining a newer wider audience, all of which <u>who will ironically abandon it for the next MW series as soon as it's out.</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is also likely to happen is a "NSRolePlaying" mod will be a cancer that consumes at least 50% of the NS2 servers (much like it does in gmod) :P
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781401:date=Jul 21 2010, 04:06 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jul 21 2010, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781401"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rumor of onos without devour, !?!?!?!? , The best feature of the menacing monster!!
    or skulk without parasite, no way!?!?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Onos does not have devour and I think that's a good thing. It's pretty stupid having a heavy armour guy the size of the Onos being eaten in one bite then dropped onto the floor with ease.

And for the skulk without parasite. It doesn't have parasite I think. Not much lost there though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1781680:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:09 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Jul 22 2010, 04:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They remove the devour?
    What will replace it?
    eek<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I look forward to seeing these posts the day the alpha comes out lol. OMG HOW DO I DEVOUR! WHAT'S THE EQUIVALENT TO DEVOUR!!!1 I NEED A WAY TO SLOW DOWN THE MARINE TEAM!!1
    <!--quoteo(post=1781697:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:02 PM:name=Renegade.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Renegade. @ Jul 22 2010, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changes have been mainstream-ified and will alienate old-school fans at the expense of gaining a newer wider audience, all of which who will ironically abandon it for the next MW series as soon as it's out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what changes have made the game more mainstream? all of the changes i can think of are there to balance the game - making it a better game for hardcore and newbies alike.

its not like they are putting in pop music and letting you plug in your rock band guitar as a controller.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781937:date=Jul 22 2010, 06:37 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jul 22 2010, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what changes have made the game more mainstream? all of the changes i can think of are there to balance the game - making it a better game for hardcore and newbies alike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We've already had quite a few of these "looming concerns" threads, many of which listed up front these changes. To name a few: smaller simpler maps, shorter rounds, acomm, not likely to have a movement skill to replace bhop, shallower skill ceiling, now to this we can add achievements. All smack of dumbing-down to some extent to reach a larger audience, and you can argue (uncompellingly) they were made for the better/balance, but obviously we doubt this, and I would ask rhetorically "better" for who?

Sure it's not NS2band, yet, but for OP, myself and many other NS old-timers, it's enough of a stray that we are predicting a mod is going to be required to even make it playable the way we think it ought to. And it is my belief this (and other highly game-altering mods) will spell disaster for the community. I've already seen it happen before to an NS-like game, anyone from the Savage community will recall the changes were just too much from S1 to S2, the devs realized this, that the changes both failed to make it more intuitive and at the same time succeeded in driving off the old S1 vets. By the time they started listening to the community it was too late, and S2 became a shallow husk. This is what I fear NS2 is becoming, and for all those of the "wait and see" philosophy: no. By then it will already be too late as it was for S2. Others probably have similar memories of Deus Ex 2, and countless other sequels that forgot their roots.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS has always been a wait and see community. I don't know where you've been but Flayra and the rest of the devs has always listened to the community. I remember nights where 32 of us would be in a server with Flayra and we'd play a bit, show some bugs, and few hours later he'd release a new patch for the game to fix it. So.. like us old-timers are used too, wait and see. If stuff isn't working out, they'll fix it, they'll figure something out. Christ, just wait till alpha there's still a long way to go before NS2 is released.
    we could all argue till we are blue in the face whether the changes are good or bad, but until at least the all of the features are implemented into game (late alpha stage) then we won't really know how it affects the game. I have faith UWE (but believe me i'll be one of the complainers if NS2 isn't up to scratch)

we all want ns2 to be great, but everyone has different ideas of what made ns1 so great
  • NicksaerianNicksaerian Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65207Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rumor of onos without devour, !?!?!?!? , The best feature of the menacing monster!!
    or skulk without parasite, no way!?!?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I admit I will miss bhopping around as an onos devouring a marine clad in hundreds of pounds of metal, but it is a loss that must happen. About parasite... have you played NS1 recently? Nobody uses parasite anymore anyway.
  • jamesbchjamesbch Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28035Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    I think making a NS1 classic mod for NS2 is a good idea.
    1/ The new players who bought won't have to buy for HL1 to play NS1 to discover it.
    2/ Since NS2 is a modable game we'll see a lots of flavor of classic NS1 and the bests will be played and will go on (like 1-3 classic mods). The best would be a mix between 1.04 and 3.0 with balanced modifications of course.
    3/ We can add new things ourself because NS1 is source-closed. Moreover our mods will use the NS2 graphics so it will be nice.

Don't get it wrong. It's an extra and you have the choice.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I heard the Gorge is getting devour ability...!
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    I heard changes are being made for a sequel!

What is wrong with the world? A sequel different than the prequel? Madness, I say.

NS2 is not NS1.

Protip: The "2" part gives it away.
    <!--quoteo(post=1782839:date=Jul 25 2010, 08:57 AM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Jul 25 2010, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1782839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I heard the Gorge is getting devour ability...!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Brilliant! Now everyone will aim for the gorge first = gorges stop trying to be front line and revert to the standard NS1 medic role.
  • VmanVman Join Date: 2007-09-11 Member: 62251Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781416:date=Jul 21 2010, 04:34 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 21 2010, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bad idea because then you would be killing the NS1 community in the process.

If someone wants a "NS1" experience, then nothing short of the actual hl1 mod will provide it.

And besides, their are MANY things about NS1 which are now labeled as unbalanced and flawed which were dropped to make NS2 more enjoyable... and what you're asking is that all of that re-balancing work was pointless because NS2 should of been NS1 + graphics.

Don't forget, webs were dropped also because they were overpowered.

And multiple coms = less games where 1 ###### up com ruins the round, game after game [btw the alien team is com-oriented now as well].

Their's far to many improvements in NS2 to list here (and some minor things which i don't enjoy... but they have nothing to do with "being done better in NS1").

BTW their have been so many SE preorders that i would say the majority of the NS1 community wants NS2 regardless of the minor gameplay changes. The fact that you were asking these questions in a NS1 game actually skews your results [because not all NS1 fans still play NS1 actively, or were present in that game to provide feedback. The words of a fade or onos ###### do not the community represent lol].<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think ns1 will die or atleast simmer down even further when ns2 gets out of alpha/beta... and you forget, some people were jumping the gun so to speak on buying it [me and alot of my friends and yes it is our fault]. Assuming that It would be NS1 as far as how the aliens played the 'old' classes and NOT having a commander, and not really changing the onos and gorge much. Structures i could see being changed, webbing I don't see as over powered in its current state in ns1, the gorge needed something so it could run away and survive at times... and quite frankly devour isn't all too over powered but could use a nerf bat in terms of negating hit and runners. so what you would call improvements I would discredit them down to just pure changes to the whimsy of the qqers of the community.

"oh look a gorgie imma kill him! >:D"
    *webbed and gorge flees!*
    "Wtf i cant move or shoot! damn gorges"

"I dont need a team! you guys suck imma go get this resource point late in the game by myself!"
    *gets devoured by a ns1 onos*

Half the time when I see people getting devoured in ns1 aside from hit and runs is when they try Rambo and go and be the special little snowflake or try to charge an onos head on like an idiot wearing hmg heavy armor and everything they can and then end up a expensive snack and waist for the team.

I understand that this is a different game but when I think of a sequel to something I don't think of drastic change, I've played ns2 for a day got into a few servers and I could say that I barely felt anything of what ns1 was. Though ns2 is a good game in and of itself, it dose not hold to the general thought of a sequel and ill be holding on to NS1 with more eagerness than ns2 so don't think I'm qqing just to have my old ns1 ham on a nice new slab of ns2 bread its just an opinion of someone who has been here for three years...

<!--quoteo(post=1781535:date=Jul 22 2010, 12:57 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 22 2010, 12:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Welcome to the club. As long as my rifle kills fades then i'll be happy. Btw... this game is going to attract an entire new community, that actually likes NS2. Anyone that doesn't want to be a part of this will choose to play other games, but i think now is a little late to suddenly realize that NS2 is not a carbon copy of NS1. What is the point of this thread again?

Better start now cause i hear NS2 doesn't have CO. Btw the hell if i'm going to play in a server that nerfs all marine weapons to NS1 settings :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh, from the side I'm standing the marines got all the new toys and aliens got a few. It would be wrong to expect a carbon copy of ns1 from ns2, but lets be real. There are alot of people who are disappointed because of numerous changes, a big one being aliens have a commander now. its just a big blaring wtf, now its no difference to play marines...

<!--quoteo(post=1781777:date=Jul 22 2010, 03:42 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 22 2010, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is also likely to happen is a "NSRolePlaying" mod will be a cancer that consumes at least 50% of the NS2 servers (much like it does in gmod) :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be a better infectious cancer than a "NS<b>CO</b>Roleplaying" mod, I do believe you agree with me on that.
  • iskunderiskunder Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68414Members
    Yeah finding out that the aliens team has a commander is a wtf for me two. I would want the game to appeal to new players and the old ones. From the looks of it though half of us are going...

no devour wtf bbq and no parasite "no one even uses it anymore" that's bull###### I use it everyday and I see others using it. And as for devour yeah its usually those stupid Rambo marines that get eaten. with 3 to 4 heavy's shooting at you is quite easy to die. lets not forget jp's can rape heavy's two.

I would agree with a classic mode after hearing about all these changes and of course jumping the gun on the purchase of this game. On the other hand I don't regret paying, ns1 gave me enough pleasure. I don't believe that the ns1 community will fade once ns2 is out. I would say give it a few years and maybe.

Any one that says the game doesn't have a lot of changes is mistaken. I haven't herd any positive feed back from people that play ns1 in ready rooms or in game. I'm sure I can't hear everything or understand everything but I feel the changes have caused a negative vibe.

I really want ns2 to be amazing but its going to take time and judging the game now is a bit harsh but a few people did have a point... these changes are BIG.
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    edited July 2010
    Guys, guys, and girls... if they made a NS1 mode option then pretty much everyone would only play that. It would not surprise me. :)

They thing is, they don't need to change much, NS2 would be an instant success with good support, and pretty much all NS1 elements in tact. Would it get MAXIMUM temporary profit from our console kiddies? No.

I'd of paid $50+ if it was even just a HL2 mod let alone a brand new engine. However they have plenty of time to test certain mechanics, chop, add and remove things, so it's premature to paint a gloomy streamline "team friendly" picture just yet. If it did happen however, it would be the biggest tragedy to PC FPS gaming ever.