Ns_hera

MeltedSnowmanMeltedSnowman Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7779Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Avoid this tactic please.</div> Processing.

I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but controlling processing effectively gives you control of TWO hives.

It's a two-for-one deal, it is. You probably already know that Processing is right outside Data Core Delta, keeping that one clear, but did you know about the other one? Set up some sieges at processing and they can reach the hive in Ventilation 3-C. Yeah, that's right.

This makes for some really boring games, as the entire map boils down to "RUSH PROCESSING!!!"

People on my regular server have taken to using this tactic and it's really no fun. I'm not calling for a nerf on siege range or anything here, but that may be the only way to fix this. ns_hera can be a great map, but not when both teams are aware of this tactic; if you're in the chair on this map, keep the tactic in mind for late-game if you need it, but don't charge processing right away as it makes for a very boring game for both sides.

Comments

• Markeo900Markeo900 Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9041Members
    Being able to hit one hive from another with seiges is pretty lame dude. Just like gitting the hive from the marines own base in bast.

The range of seige cannons was changed at the last minute after the maps were finalised, this is why this exploit can be done on bast, it was never an intended feature and the guy who made bast is really angry about it actually.

Just consider that this was never meant to be possible when the map was designed.

I still think the tactical advantage of a huge gun that can shoot through walls is just way too good. The aliens have nothing to counter it if the seige is well defended, and the tactical value of being able to do this is just far too great.

I would have preferred it if it was just made into a powerful upgraded turret with a blast radius.

Being able to shoot through walls in a map is just kinda silly, im sure there was something of equal power but less lameness that could have been implemented.

See if you can ask the mapper if he meant for seige cannons to be able to hit one hive from another, i'd like to see what his response is. I can guess what it will be though.

Happy hunting, Mark
  • InsanityInsanity Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8660Members
    Processing is TEH SUCK.
    It's such a pain being an alien because they take that spot and just farking camp while their resources gather up and they upgrade and you're stuck with level 1 aliens.
    Processing and the Bast problem need to be changed. One spot should never own two hives.
  • BergerBerger Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8945Members, Constellation
    Yea, this is quite the irritating tactic. Siege turrets were originally just upgraded turrets, that could rip apart skulks, gorges, and lerks and seriously injure afade with one shot. This was changed to what they are, and right before release, the range was bumped.

What I suggest for balance is that siege cannons can only fire at alien structures that have been 'painted,' and were within the cannon's normal range. The 'painting' could be from the flashlight, from the pistol, from the knife, maybe even from a direct hit by a scanner sweep. This would reduce their 'cheap' factor and maybe shorten the end game against a turtled marine base.
  • DestroDestro Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8336Members
    take away siege cannons and what's gonna take out the wall of lame aliens will build at their hive in early game to defend them?
    dont say gl's and ha's either cuz by then they'll have fades knocking on your door and chewing u apart.... all they need to do is move the hive further away by editing the map its quite simple.
  • ObliteraterObliterater Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9652Members
    Yes moving the affected areas a little bit should solve this problem.