New Starcraft 2 Trailer

SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Literally amazing</div>6 day, oh god oh god. So good. God I love you, Blizzard.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfWM-A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfWM-A</a>

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Well well, Raynor is back to kick some ass? Finally...</span>
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    That's not really news though.

Trailer is real cool-looking, but feels stereotypical.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Raynor's face doesn't seem to fit his voice at all anymore.
    And wasn't he bald? I always thought he was a bit lacking in the hair department.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Wait.

Starcraft 2 is a game, right? Not a movie?

A game.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781518:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:55 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jul 21 2010, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait.

Starcraft 2 is a game, right? Not a movie?

A game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Get both for the price of one on July 27th!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    While the CGI is very nice, the trailer is pretty terrible.

It's just like someone watched every action movie trailer ever and just picked the most cliche'd lines from all of them, then strung them together and made random scenes for them.

Doesn't really inspire me to buy the game considering it has apparently nothing to do with RTS or games at all.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781604:date=Jul 21 2010, 08:10 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 21 2010, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's just like someone watched every action movie trailer ever and just picked the most cliche'd lines from all of them, then strung them together and made random scenes for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"This trailer is too trailer-y!"

I don't know if expecting a trailer for a video game to be above that of what you'd get from an actual movie is a fair approach. As someone who hasn't played the first, the scenes seemed pretty sequential to me.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781607:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:26 AM:name=JediYoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediYoshi @ Jul 22 2010, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"This trailer is too trailer-y!"

I don't know if expecting a trailer for a video game to be above that of what you'd get from an actual movie is a fair approach. As someone who hasn't played the first, the scenes seemed pretty sequential to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't expect it to be better than a movie trailer, I would expect a movie trailer to be better than this.

A good movie trailer should tell me what the movie is about, and maybe give an example of the sort of content.

Pretty sure starcraft isn't about people going YOU CANT LEAVE HER BEHIND NO BUT I MUST THE ALLIANCE NEEDS YOU NO I DONT FIGHT ANY MORE SHE HAS COME TO FINISH THE JOB NOT IF I FINISH IT FIRST for its entirity.

But according to the trailer, it is.

I would even be happy with something like the fallout trailers, which just show a very nice progressive unveil of the environment, it doesn't tell you much about the gameplay but it gives you a nice view of what you can expect to see ingame, and it's certainly eye catching with the dissonant music and it makes you wonder 'what went on here?'

This thing is just so generic, like I said it just looks like a collection of cliches, it's the sort of thing you hear on the GTA radio stations as spoof adverts for fake movies. It sounds like it should have a title like 'MAX DEATHGUN 2: IN SPACE' or something equally ridiculous.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1781610:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:44 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 21 2010, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't expect it to be better than a movie trailer, I would expect a movie trailer to be better than this.

A good movie trailer should tell me what the movie is about, and maybe give an example of the sort of content.

Pretty sure starcraft isn't about people going YOU CANT LEAVE HER BEHIND NO BUT I MUST THE ALLIANCE NEEDS YOU NO I DONT FIGHT ANY MORE SHE HAS COME TO FINISH THE JOB NOT IF I FINISH IT FIRST for its entirity.

But according to the trailer, it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What are you even talking about, Chris? A huge reason why so many people love Starcraft is because of it's story and characters. This is a perfect trailer to get people excited about the next chapter in Starcraft's rich history and story.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781611:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:48 AM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 22 2010, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are you even talking about, Chris? A huge reason why so many people love Starcraft is because of it's story and characters. This is a perfect trailer to get people excited about the next chapter in Starcraft's rich history and story.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I on the other hand have never played starcraft and thus have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on.

If it's trying to sell some wonderful story to me then it's doing a very poor job because it really doesn't seem like a good one, like I said it seems to be composed entirely of really bad cliches.

Seriously, watch it and just try to find a scene you haven't seen and heard in like a million cheesy 90's action films before.
  • AnarkiThreeXSixAnarkiThreeXSix x_x Join Date: 2003-12-31 Member: 24894Members
    So you're complaining about not understanding a trailer to a sequel due to not having played the original..

I see.
    edited July 2010
    I find it difficult to imagine that, aside from recognising the characters, I would get much from it even if I did play the original.

Saying 'this person exists' to people who already played the first game and thus are going to buy the second game and already know the characters exist is not a very good use of a trailer.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    If you want, there's 2 very nice videos that summarize SC1 for you on the StarCraft2 website.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781623:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:31 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 22 2010, 04:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it difficult to imagine that, aside from recognising the characters, I would get much from it even if I did play the original.

Saying 'this person exists' to people who already played the first game and thus are going to buy the second game and already know the characters exist is not a very good use of a trailer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol you would get the entire full 6 race campaigns storys with both SC1 and SC:BW.

Thats a lot of backstory for SC2.

What your saying about not getting much even if you did play the original, is like saying "I dont think it would matter if i played HL2:Ep2 without playing Hl2 and Ep1, i wouldnt get anything out of them anyways"
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    I am so trying to hate it.

But alas, I cannot :(

Good Game Blizzard, my hat off to you.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Just go read the story summary for SC + BW on the wikipedia page if this confuses you.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft#Plot" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft#Plot</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Brood_War#Plot" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Brood_War#Plot</a>

Despite what you might think - due to the game being an RTS - the story is actually very well developed and fairly well told for the era it was released in.
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    That was the best thing I've seen in quite a while. I've been drooling since last night.

And I see Chris is at it again :V
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Where's the IG? or the Eldar? or Chaos?

Man those are the worst Tyranid knock offs I've ever seen.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781641:date=Jul 22 2010, 07:12 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 22 2010, 07:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want, there's 2 very nice videos that summarize SC1 for you on the StarCraft2 website.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where is this on the site? Tried movies and downloads but all I found were the race reveal videos. (eu.starcraft2.com)

EDIT: Nevermind, it's on the Dominion page thingy.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    With $100M budget, you can expect some pretty pictures :D

BTW, how should I buy SC2? Digital, store, battlenet, what are the options?
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781610:date=Jul 22 2010, 04:44 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 22 2010, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->'MAX DEATHGUN 2: IN SPACE'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awww man.

Now I can't decide if I want to call my band Max Deathgun or Rheumatic Panther.

Thanks a lot, Chris!
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781792:date=Jul 22 2010, 11:40 AM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Jul 22 2010, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781792"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With $100M budget, you can expect some pretty pictures :D

BTW, how should I buy SC2? Digital, store, battlenet, what are the options?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I bought mine at a store (with a free poster), but if you don't care, I'd go for Battle.net since you'll have to register the game to your Battle.net account anyway.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited July 2010
    Apparently Amazon claims it will deliver it on release day if you order now-ish.

For those who don't want to leave home, but want a physical copy.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Managed to resist pre-ordering a game I know I'll suck at until I saw that trailer :(
  • NecroNecro &lt;insert non-birthday-related title here&gt; Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
    i got mine through download, allows me to install pre-install before release
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1781610:date=Jul 21 2010, 10:44 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 21 2010, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->blah blah blah<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This isn't supposed to be a trailer to advertise the game. it was released a mere week before the game release, and it was released onto youtube. The actual trailer for the game was released months ago, along with the tvspot for it. This was presented as an incentive to promote guerrilla style advertising from <a href="http://us.starcraft2.com/dominion/index.xml" target="_blank">this</a> website. i was the final unlock for getting so many 'likes' on facebook, while there were others revealing the previous story and artwork for various amounts of 'likes'

The purpose of this trailer was not to inform people who never played starcraft, but to reward those who already loved starcraft and to get them pumped up for the release.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    What, people don't know Starcraft's story? Really? Oh well we can fix that.

Basically there are three aliens: Blarghy aliens (zerg), magic aliens (protoss) and monkey aliens (terrans). The monkey aliens are currently under attack by the blarghy aliens and whenever this gets out of hand the magic aliens show up and blow both sides up. On one monkey alien planet the blarghy aliens have just shown up and the monkey aliens are trying to get away before the magic aliens make everything go space kablooiee. One of the monkey aliens then uses a blarghy lure to lure the blarghy aliens to the monkey alien capital so that he can seize power, but he sacrifices a monkey alien pawn (named Kerrigan) to accomplish this, thus angering another pawn (Raynor) because he liked her, so Raynor runs away.
    Meanwhile: The blarghy aliens are all up ons because they have a cocoon with a really powerful being in it so they transport the cocoon to blarghy alien space. The cocoon hatches and it's Kerrigan who is now a queen (GET IT?!) of the blarghy aliens. Also one of the magic aliens kills one of the blarghy alien brains but inadvertently reveals the location of the magic alien homeworld to the main blarghy alien brain, so the blarghy aliens invade the magic alien homeworld.
    Meanwhile: The magic aliens fight the blarghy aliens on their homeworld, and they're losing. One of the magic aliens goes off in search of the dark magic aliens because they're the only ones who can kill blarghy alien brains. The magic alien learns the secrets of the dark magic aliens and uses them to blow up the main blarghy alien brain so that the war ends for a while, only the magic aliens have to flee their homeworld for the dark magic alien homeworld because there are blarghy aliens everywhere.
    Meanwhile: There's various other stuff I don't remember too well because I never played Blood War, but the dark magic aliens lose their queen and also the monkey aliens have various breeding programs, including one to make a new main blarghy alien brain under their control and another one to make mixed magic blarghy monkey aliens. Anyway at the end of it all Kerrigan ends up in undisputed control of all the blarghy aliens and that's pretty bad because she's evil now, in case that wasn't clear.

That's most of what you need to know, Starcraft 2 picks up from there. Starcraft 2 is in individual chapters though so don't expect resolutions to any of these plotlines soon.
    Simply because I don't care, and never have cared, about starcraft or it's story, but I'm well aware of the..... rabidness of it's fanbase, I sincerely hope that Uwe Boll secures the rights to make a movie of it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1781918:date=Jul 22 2010, 03:27 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jul 22 2010, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply because I don't care, and never have cared, about starcraft or it's story, but I'm well aware of the..... rabidness of it's fanbase, I sincerely hope that Uwe Boll secures the rights to make a movie of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rabid????

I think you mean "pro"
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Pro?! I think you mean ALPHA!

*injects more bull shark testosterone*