this is my problem with beta, alpha and preorder

0dy0dy Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25788Members
first and foremost, i got the standard edition pre-order, i am excited for this game and can't wait for more awesome.

HOWEVER, it seems like it will be a while before the beta comes out. it seems like they will be doing lots of tweaking before then, and i wont be able to be a part of it. i dont like that, some of my fondest memories of natural selection come from the early days. id say i had more fun in the begining. even though the game got more ironed out i'd honestly say i had more fun early on when they were still trying to figure out the gameplay balance.

as a person who pre-ordered, i already have faith in you guys and i have completed a gesture of good faith by buying it early. when i looked at the pre-order options (way last year) it was pretty obvious the premium version was "because you extra love us mores, we can't really give you much, but its because you love us even more and you want this to happen". in your recent updates, it looks to me like you are stumbling trying to come up with things that you can give to the "premium pre-orders" and exclude from everyone else.

guys, we all love you, thats why we pre-paid, why are you tiering our love like this. i feel, i feel hosed.........

am i the only one that feels this way?

fake edit: i ahve a feeling im going to be mildly trolled by those who just paid the full $40 upfront.

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Well you had two options to pay for, you got the conditions of buying them.

Basically tough, if you got the standard edition and you don't want to upgrade to special, get on with it. You get what you pay for.
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    lol, what he said. You get what you pay for.

They aren't scrambling to give us more, we had options. Pay $40 and you get alpha. Well here's our alpha. You get beta, that's still being a part of the beginning... Just not the earliest beginning/birth.

You paid $20, you get beta.

They are showing you love for pre-ordering cause of that. Those people who don't pre-order don't get beta.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    As I recall, the original buy site explicitly stated Special Edition got earliest access to the alpha and tools, the Black Armor, and "Eternal Gratitude"

I explicitly purchased Special Edition for alpha access and "Eternal Gratitude."

As someone has already stated, Special Edition will get the July 26th build. Some point later, let's call it "beta", the Regular Edition people will get access to the builds.

How long between those two points? We have no idea. It could be a month, it could be a week.

To be fair, this sounds like a fairly rough initial release, so I'm going in looking at this like work. Play, criticize, optimize, recreate bugs. I doubt I'll have much fun in-game as much discussing stuff on IRC. That's just my prediction though. So, don't feel too badly. The I&S forums will still be around for your ideas, and I'm sure the beta will be much more polished for everyone to play in.

Sorry if you feel slighted or misunderstood the buying options. I'm extra sorry that there isn't a good upgrade system in place for those like yourself who might be willing to get into the alpha for $20.

PS, does anyone have a screenshot of the original buy screen handy somewhere?
  • 0dy0dy Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25788Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779231:date=Jul 15 2010, 02:17 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 15 2010, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry if you feel slighted or misunderstood the buying options. I'm extra sorry that there isn't a good upgrade system in place for those like yourself who might be willing to get into the alpha for $20.

PS, does anyone have a screenshot of the original buy screen handy somewhere?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh know i do remember the differences being "alpha, black armor, and we will lub you this much |----------------------------------------------------------------------|", im not complaining about that at all

and to clarify when i say early days of NS (that i really enjoyed) i mean 1.X, not 0.X. i guess for some reason i am under the illusion that its going to be a community of awesome even when a playable alpha is released. hell even when the play test came out there were a few community levels, and things like invert mouse added. maybe you are right that most of it will be bug reporting/fixing and not too fun yet, but i just want the day where we can continue to not go outside and try to knife a big angry space cow with horns 2.0 .
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779235:date=Jul 15 2010, 12:25 PM:name=0dy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0dy @ Jul 15 2010, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im not complaining about that at all<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK, on a re-read then it seems you feel like it will be all ironed out and dry once it hits beta and you won't have a chance to help out? Is that what you're worried about?

I don't think that will be a problem. Considering how they've released things so far, I'm sure the beta will not be like SC2 beta where really they are just testing server loading. It will still be a bit raw and they're still looking for those tweaks out there.

Then again, as I said, I have no idea when the "beta" portion starts. It could be a week, it could be a month.

My guess is the beta will be when all the basic features are in (i.e. all classes and weapons) and not completely broken. Then the beta will begin and everything else + polish will start to fall in.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    I'm pretty sure it was clear to everyone what you get for the Special Edition and the "normal" Preorder.

Beside that I don't think they'll release a perfect beta after the alpha phase, I guess it'll be like spellman23 described it.
    And I don't think they want to seperate the alpha people from the beta people, they didn't change anything.

And the upgrading and refunding is working, BUT it's working on valve time or steam time ... and Max or Charlie said that if you try to refund and rebuy the special edition now, it won't be worth it, because Steam might take up to three weeks to disable your old NS2 and until it's disabled you can't enable the newer special edition.

It's sad that they can't do it faster or make it smoother that you just pay 20 Bucks and get your "special edition status" ...

I think you'll survive like most of us, by a huge FLOOD of user created updates / maps / screenshots / spam :) until the Beta hits.

>>> Alternativly you could pay extra 40 $ to get NS2 on new Steam account and sell it after the alpha phase to a friend of yours, this might work :)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Ody,

You got what you paid for. We bought the Special Edition version. You bought the Standard.
    We get the Alpha and the Beta whereas you just get the Beta.

It can't be un-done now so why bother posting this on the thread for us to read?
    Did you want other people to 'Troll' you or something?

To be honest, you posting this; contains a small amount of trolling in it anyway.

If you really wanted to be part of the beginning/birth of this game then you would have got the Special Edition but you didn't get it, so, I don't understand why you would have a problem with it.

It's like me complaining that I got a normal sized Twix and other poeple got a Twix Extra... Even though I had the choice to buy the Twix Extra version.

So, stop complaining and be happy with the fact that you have the Beta as you are going to have to live with it...
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    A dedicated NS player who don't want to miss out on anything, and want to have the whole package, pay for the most expensive product. It was clearly stated that SE was for early alpha access and I think people should know that it would most likely take 1-2 month or more before a beta eventually would come up after the alpha. 20$ is like taking a piss in the ocean. You get what you pay for. 20$ is for those who simply cannot afford paying 40$ (and I respect that totally), but it is also for those people who are not as passionate as those hardcore dedicated NS maniacs that want early access.

My only question now is, where is the 100$ platinum pack with special effects (books/teddy bear :P etc)? I am ready...
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    edited July 2010
    Standard edition pre-orders get the Alpha as well, just later than the SE.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->20$ is like taking a piss in the ocean. You get what you pay for. 20$ is for those who simply cannot afford paying 40$ (and I respect that totally), but it is also for those people who are not as passionate as those hardcore dedicated NS maniacs that want early access.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, to recap:

Standard edition:
    -You are poor
    -Not "as" passionate
    -Not hardcore and dedicated

Hmm... damn dude, you are so special for paying for the special edition, I wish the rest of us could be as fortunate and dedicated.
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited July 2010
    And to all those standard edition buyers. It is not too late to buy a special edition, so stop whine. =)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1779256:date=Jul 15 2010, 04:03 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 15 2010, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Standard edition pre-orders get the Alpha as well, just later than the SE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. When they call it the beta.
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779259:date=Jul 15 2010, 04:06 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 15 2010, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779259"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep. When they call it the beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, my mistake, that's what I meant to say. All the pre-orders will have access to the pre-release version sooner or later.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    have you put your key into steam yet? There may be some things you can do if that is the case.
  • Pii_SmithPii_Smith Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72356Members
    edited July 2010
    The only strange move (IMO) was to give the engine test to all preorders and then cut back the Alpha access to SE. It is a bit like giving you something and then taking it away. Then they ask, can I upgrade? (Which is a natural response) An the answer is essentially: <b>yes</b>.

Edit: Sorry I have not read the post, that upgrades are now possible. This solves the dilemma fully.
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    I opted to pay the extra money for the pre order bonuses AND due to the fact that NS1 was completely free, so im really playing for 2 games, 1 which i loved and 1 which im gonna love.

If you've played NS1 you should be buying the SE regardless imo.

:)
  • ArrowheadArrowhead Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43198Members
    It's not too late to upgrade. Do it!
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1779235:date=Jul 15 2010, 03:25 PM:name=0dy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (0dy @ Jul 15 2010, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh know i do remember the differences being "alpha, black armor, and we will lub you this much |----------------------------------------------------------------------|", im not complaining about that at all

and to clarify when i say early days of NS (that i really enjoyed) i mean 1.X, not 0.X. i guess for some reason i am under the illusion that its going to be a community of awesome even when a playable alpha is released. hell even when the play test came out there were a few community levels, and things like invert mouse added. maybe you are right that most of it will be bug reporting/fixing and not too fun yet, but i just want the day where we can continue to not go outside and try to knife a big angry space cow with horns 2.0 .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is just redundant.

Its a simple matter of, if you care so much, pay the extra money. We had to do it. You have to do it. I dunno what you want people to say. Uh, you want it really bad so you should be able to start at the beginning even with standard edition. The people who paid $40 wanted it really bad, thats why they paid for it... Or they just felt that UWE deserved the money anyways for NS1. <b>There is an option to do upgrade now, I suggest you do so if it is bothering you this badly.</b>
  • GNS_HarrisonGNS_Harrison Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72648Members
    You are basically paying for what you get.

Just think of it as those standard edition starcraft 2 and collectors edition starcraft 2

Standard is $59.99 while collectors is $99.99 (I believe)

You are paying x2 of the price and you get more things not only the game itself.

(Sorry, had to use sc2 since its the next game to be released next week as well as ns2).

You can't say it isn't fair because the people who are paying extra are getting more than the standard purchases.

So if you want more, you have to pay extra.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    congratulations, you have manged to bait lots of people with a dumb thread!

can someone clsoe this now
  • Antonio Gramscix420Antonio Gramscix420 Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72554Members
    yo op i only read like the first two lines but i can assure i dont give a ###### about anything you just wrote
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1779231:date=Jul 15 2010, 08:17 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 15 2010, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I explicitly purchased Special Edition for alpha access and "Eternal Gratitude."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:lime--><span style="color:lime"><!--/coloro-->This<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • IconoclastIconoclast Join Date: 2004-06-23 Member: 29481Members, Constellation
    It was clearly advertised that only one type of order would receive alpha access. Why are you QQing now? Idiot.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    considering that the alpha is not feature complete (no onos, no fade and surely lots of other stuff missing), i suppose that they will add all the features slowly to the alpha, and as soon as the features are in, the worst bugs are out, they release beta.
    At that point, some balancing will be done already, but the real balancing will only happen then. So, don't worry.