Unknownworlds seems like Valve

InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
What i mean by that is not the fact unknownworlds is a Monarch in gaming(yet) but it seems like they are off on the same start.

Valve was incredibly small when they first started(just like every game company) and had there shining title Half life.

Still, valve wasnt as well known until two friends made a mod, and created Counter-strike.

That really skyrocketed Valve.

Now unknownworlds isnt extremely well known compared to other major gaming companies, but it seems like they have more fans and followers than valve did when they released Hl1.

But its not even that which makes unknownworlds like valve.

Its the fact they give 2 ###### about the customers and fans, always trying to use the community ideas and listen to what they are saying.

I have never seen any game company, big or small ever release as much as unknownworlds have.

We got spark like 8 months ago.

We got the pre-alpha(the god damn pre-alpha)

Builder

Model Viewer

And even the cinimatic editor(seems we got an unfinished version but so far it looks powerful as hell)

and now the Alpha!

For years we had no word of NS2

And almost out of nowhere it sparked back to life, slowly the skepticism went away as more and more blog updates continued and keeping their word(except a very few times) releasing a blog update each friday.

Also so far, this is one of the best communitys and forums ive seen, unlike SPUF and other forums, people arnt ###### out of control and crying or complaining and usually gets help from the community when they have an issue with the game(but i can see crying when the alpha is first out)

Take a look at the mapping screenshot thread, i mean 2 days after it was released i saw some of the most creative and detailed maps ive seen in a while, its a completely differnt game/editor than others ive seen, but it shows how much dedication and passion people have for this game.

I can see NS2 going on long way, ya the alpha will not be the Shining diamond of the real release, hopefully no one expects that, but i know that with everyone playing the alpha, finding bugs/balance issues/glitchs, the final will come faster and faster each patch.

I mean after all these years of waiting(since the source engine)its finally upon us, the greatest mod turned into one of the greatest games, NS is still the only rts/fps hybrid ive seen pulled off perfectly in every aspect.

Thanks unknownworlds, and hope to play with all u guys here on the alpha, I know the small community im a part of has been waiting for ns2 since the source engine first came out, and we all cant wait, we even got others that are in our community to purchese the SE, cant wait to play!

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    If you listened to the podcast with Charlie @ bashandslash.com you wouldn't agree so much with them being like Valve.

Valve's business model took them from a decent game and player base to a more enterprising role via Steam.

Charlie, seems more dedicated to knowing what gamers want and how games should be played. Yes, that takes community input but sometimes the community is wrong and that has to be recognised. Valve don't recognise when their community is wrong, thus all the trash in TF2.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Valve was about to release Half-Life when they realized it sucked. Luckily, Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington were incredibly rich from working at Microsoft and they said "let's just remake the whole game." On the other hand, UWE was about to release NS2 without heavy armor and god knows what else. Luckily, a bunch of people pre-ordered it and they were able to keep working.

If giving tools to fans makes you like Valve, then Wolfire Games, Epic Games, iD Games, Bethesda Softworks, and many other PC games are like Valve.
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    Focus on the positive feedback in the post rather then the valve kinship :)
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    i think they're also running on valve time.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781350:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:53 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 21 2010, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Valve don't recognise when their community is wrong, thus all the trash in TF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What trash? TF2 is basically one of the most played games in Steam.
    Thousands of servers, and a lot of them is always full.
    TF2, just like Counter-Strike, sells <b>a lot</b>. A game filled with trash wouldn't sell so much, I suppose.

The community simply loves that game. Also, Valve has been updating it, bringing new features <b>without charge</b>, and all of them were welcome by the players.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think that a top seller game like TF2 has so many trash. :)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781377:date=Jul 21 2010, 03:04 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jul 21 2010, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think they're also running on valve time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well then! That's changed everything! Unknownworlds are exactly like valve now. They are running on the same time! Oh my god!

XD lol

I was joking
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think Valve, even if they are one of the good ones, should be more like UWE ;)
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781406:date=Jul 21 2010, 03:20 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 21 2010, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What trash? TF2 is basically one of the most played games in Steam<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The core gameplay is wonderful. Then you get this trash, hats, a system to 'create items'. It's not what an FPS gamer wants, that's what an RPG gamer wants. I don't want my FPS to change every few weeks with new silly items and such, okay you could make a huge update to add them all after 2/3 years or however long it has taken that's perfectly fine. Although to progressively phase them in listening to the most casual community members out there, is not in the interest of gamers. That's in the interest of their revenue longevity.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781432:date=Jul 21 2010, 12:31 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 21 2010, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The core gameplay is wonderful. Then you get this trash, hats, a system to 'create items'. It's not what an FPS gamer wants, that's what an RPG gamer wants. I don't want my FPS to change every few weeks with new silly items and such, okay you could make a huge update to add them all after 2/3 years or however long it has taken that's perfectly fine. Although to progressively phase them in listening to the most casual community members out there, is not in the interest of gamers. That's in the interest of their revenue longevity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i agree that the hats are a stupid addition to the game but it really dosnt effect the gameplay at all. i also agree that the tf2 community is quite... stupid. i was a regular on their forums a while back but the crap that is talked about on those forums now is so pointless which ultimatley led to the direction valve is taking tf2 in now.

the new weapons however have changed it a bit. i personally prefer the vanilla tf2 before they started rolling out the character loadouts. the new maps/gamemodes are very welcome change though.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781406:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:20 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 21 2010, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What trash? TF2 is basically one of the most played games in Steam.
    TF2, just like Counter-Strike, sells <b>a lot</b>. A game filled with trash wouldn't sell so much, I suppose.

The community simply loves that game. Also, Valve has been updating it, bringing new features <b>without charge</b>, and all of them were welcome by the players.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think that a top seller game like TF2 has so many trash. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you compare gameplay or community, TF2 falls short. Lot of lol wut shooters may be popular but what they offer is very limited.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    TF2 excels at being a fun game. At one point I used to play it non-stop, but like with all good things, I got myself burned out and now I play the game occasionally. It remains to be fun at moderate doses, which is very respectable.

Also, every game community is quite stupid.
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    TF2 community is really an RPG community with most FPS community people in competitive (I have never seen so much rage over hats and unlocks, let alone VAC bans over limited edition items). I'd honestly rather be in the TF2 community over the dota/hon community, 100x the elitism and trash talking regardless of pub/comp/etc.

That being said, I like the NS community because it has the right mix of elitism and fun casuals who fight their fair share. Valve wanted to appease the pubbers, blizzard wants to appease the competitive players with support for custom/pubbing for SC2 (great concept), and unknownworlds seems to be headed the SC2 route.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781460:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:27 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Jul 21 2010, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 excels at being a fun game. At one point I used to play it non-stop,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Vanilla with medic updates was the 'golden era' for me.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781495:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:12 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 21 2010, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Vanilla with medic updates was the 'golden era' for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Come on. The new weapons are both fun and interesting.
    I don't think that they've screwed the game. In fact, I believe they've made the game even more popular.

In other words, Valve has made TF2 in a way that every class fits every kind of player. Even if you don't like the default weapons/items, you can choose something that better fits your pleasure.

I, for example, have always hated the sentry gun of the engineer, because you spend a lot of ###### time upgrading them and a retarded Demoman/HW/Soldier comes with uber charge and destroys it in 2 seconds.

The new update is great because now you move your buildings to new places without having to destroy them. If the enemy team is approaching you, then you can simply grab your level 3 sentry gun and mount it in a better place.
    Better than that, now you can even manually control your sentry gun, which is a very good feature when you need to shoot an enemy that is too far away and the sentry doesn't "detect" him.
    And, in my opinion, the best update is the new mini-sentry, which builds in something like 3 seconds and deals a lot of damage in the war field. In my opinion, it's a weapon made to <b>offensive</b> movements, unlike the normal sentry, which is made for <b>defensive</b> movement.

As for me, I don't like to stay defending some point while other players are having fun attacking, and that was the reason why I've stopped playing as engineer for quite some time. Now, after the last update, I'm always playing as engineer and, believe me, making more dominates with the mini-sentry than when I'm playing as demoman/soldier/hw.

About the "cosmetic" items, I don't really think that they're that heavy for a decent GPU (like Geforce 8800GT and Radeon 4770) to render.
    But, yeah, I must agree that Source engine has become heavier than it used to be in Half-Life 2 launch days. But that's a good thing, because it means that the engine is evolving, just like hardware. :)
    They've made it more popular to play on public servers.

They've continually made it a lot less attractive to play competitively.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1781531:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:28 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 21 2010, 06:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They've made it more popular to play on public servers.

They've continually made it a lot less attractive to play competitively.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No they haven't. You can easily disable unlocked items at any time if you want to be competitive. This is the most worthless argument towards TF2 going the "wrong direction"
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This argument is as old as time, but playing on public servers has been what 99% of players do since the start of server lists.
  • Cyber BunnyCyber Bunny Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72422Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781332:date=Jul 21 2010, 02:21 PM:name=Hoodedsniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoodedsniper @ Jul 21 2010, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What i mean by that is not the fact unknownworlds is a Monarch in gaming(yet) but it seems like they are off on the same st...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So goes the prophecy.

I would say that one of the reasons Half-life 1 was such an success was because they did a lot of tests on the game before the release. They had tests were players would play a certain part of the game and a team that would mark their emotions and ask for feedback etc.. I found an excellent article about on Stumbleupon, but unfortunately I can't find it anymore.
    Judging NS2 so far, I dare to say that NS2 will become a hit as long as unknown words keeps patching/updating it, as valve does on TF2.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781350:date=Jul 21 2010, 08:53 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 21 2010, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you listened to the podcast with Charlie @ bashandslash.com you wouldn't agree so much with them being like Valve.

Valve's business model took them from a decent game and player base to a more enterprising role via Steam.

Charlie, seems more dedicated to knowing what gamers want and how games should be played. Yes, that takes community input but sometimes the community is wrong and that has to be recognised. Valve don't recognise when their community is wrong, thus all the trash in TF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If starting up something like Steam with a different or better vision behind it could "unite the world through play", I think Unknown Worlds Entertainment would make Steam Version B if they could.

That's highly unlikely; you're right. I think Unknown Worlds Entertainment is mostly interested in making games.
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781531:date=Jul 21 2010, 06:28 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 21 2010, 06:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They've made it more popular to play on public servers.

They've continually made it a lot less attractive to play competitively.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep especially when they promote competitive play on the TF2 blog.
    For those discussing TF2 comp community:

The competitive community is constantly criticizing valve mainly because of the constant updates in the middle of seasons (and breaking the ESEA client, built upon retarded rules). Although updates are fine and we can just ban weapons, most updates do little for competitive if at all, often break parts of the game (pipes not doing damage, rocket jumping doing more damage, gunboats not working if being spectated, kritskrieg not working on no-crit servers, etc), and basically create small annoying periods of times where the game is broken and demos no longer work. We appreciate the updates, but they seem to forget to playtest their builds and rarely have the new items balanced/worth using in competitive (every class is available, but only scout medic soldier demo are used consistently with sniper engy heavy being occasionally used. out of the many updated weapons, very few are useful/sidegrades, as listed: backburner fan buffbanner KGB axtinguisher huntsman razorback homewrecker dakohla's bar scottish resistance etc, but basically they don't change/help comp play at all).
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781406:date=Jul 21 2010, 03:20 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 21 2010, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What trash? TF2 is basically one of the most played games in Steam.

I respect your opinion, but I don't think that a top seller game like TF2 has so many trash. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The fact that a game is popular does not mean it doesn't have a lot of "trash".

Even if Starcraft 2 turned out to be a massive fail, people would still buy it. Because it's Blizzard, and it's Starcraft.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781432:date=Jul 22 2010, 02:31 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 22 2010, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The core gameplay is wonderful. Then you get this trash, hats, a system to 'create items'. It's not what an FPS gamer wants, that's what an RPG gamer wants. I don't want my FPS to change every few weeks with new silly items and such, okay you could make a huge update to add them all after 2/3 years or however long it has taken that's perfectly fine. Although to progressively phase them in listening to the most casual community members out there, is not in the interest of gamers. That's in the interest of their revenue longevity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's so easy to ignore that side of the game. It's almost transparent if you want it to be.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Why is it that when comparisons are made, TF2 is always brought up as the "bad" game?
    I wouldn't call it the bad game. In fact, I think many NS players chose it as the next game while waiting for NS2. It's just cited for doing things incorrectly because it's the most recent and most played example here. There's plenty of things they did which were cool such as updates and new weapons, but negligence in many updates is what makes it seem so hated.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781332:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:21 PM:name=Hoodedsniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoodedsniper @ Jul 21 2010, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks unknownworlds<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For what?
    They only want made money, not spend you something...they have to THANK US for purchase the Special Edition, the community!
    And what we got is a alpha with not all the stuff (even not all creatures), still not dynamic infestation, so better buy the default edition, i feel pity/vexed about buying the special order...anyway would be fun play the alpha but its not worth the SE.
    I like the UWE developer because they made a great game, don't understand me wrong, but you have to calm down because every company or developer only wants money, thats life, nobody say oh thank you for make me a game i pay for, its like you got into a bakery and say "thank you for make me a bread, thank you!"
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1781629:date=Jul 22 2010, 06:43 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jul 22 2010, 06:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it that when comparisons are made, TF2 is always brought up as the "bad" game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because it's a game where they've taken what they consider the core gameplay from a popular fast movement based game and changed it to even out skill differences, and end up with a game that's fun to play but one most competitive players who came from another game beforehand would abandon without a second thought if say NS2 with bhopping came out.

You know what I said the first time I saw a video of a top competitive tf2 scout playing a match? "Wow, that game is slow."
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1781683:date=Jul 22 2010, 09:16 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Jul 22 2010, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For what?
    They only want made money, not spend you something...they have to THANK US for purchase the Special Edition, the community!
    And what we got is a alpha with not all the stuff (even not all creatures), still not dynamic infestation, so better buy the default edition, i feel pity/vexed about buying the special order...anyway would be fun play the alpha but its not worth the SE.
    I like the UWE developer because they made a great game, don't understand me wrong, but you have to calm down because every company or developer only wants money, thats life, nobody say oh thank you for make me a game i pay for, its like you got into a bakery and say "thank you for make me a bread, thank you!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Urgh... disagree... i SO disagree...

If they <b>only</b> want money they wouldn't release all the tools, they wouldn't put so much effort into the modability of the engine.

If they <b>only</b> want money nothing would stop them from working somewhere else in the industry having a regular income, not having to worry about investors, pulling all nighters, having to worry about your own company (it's a huge risk to start your own company) it would overall be easier.

If they <b>only</b> want money they wouldn't do a NS2, yes NS is somewhat known around the HL1 community but there are better, easier and less creative ways to grab money faster instead of doing a sequel to a pretty hardcore game that had as much mass appeal as quantum physics.

If they <b>only</b> want money they could have gone to any of the big publishers to get massive founding and get their gameplay decissions dictated by marketing experts and giving up their creative freedom.

Do they want to earn money? Of course who doesn't want to earn money with his work. The difference beeing how you set your priorities, most dev's/publishers nowadays would sell their grandma for a blockbuster selling game like MW2, for the same reason they also sell out their creativity. Makes games simpler so the target group is bigger, forget about complicated new game concepts just smallers the potential buyer base, make it as mainstream as possible no depth required, forget about innovation unique things, stick to things that we know sell well.

While some of that happens with NS2, it's not nearly to the same degree as with other games. Also UWE has the economic need to get a broader audience to survive and not just because shareholders need more money.

Believe it or not, some people enjoy their work, some people enjoy beeing creative, some people enjoy realizing their creative dreams and see them get popular, some people even would do that if that means way less money at the end of the month.
    Heck the whole indie-scene is build upon that thought...

And so far UWE looks like they are right there, realizing their creative dream for the sake of realizing it and not for the pure sake of getting rich.

Money isn't everything and in a creative business it shouldn't be everything because than sooner or later un-creative suits that don't know anything about gaming or beeing creative gonna run the industry for the sake of shareholders and not for the sake of beeing creative and adding to an form of art. Just take a look at activision and you will see what i'm talking about...
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781722:date=Jul 22 2010, 01:12 PM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jul 22 2010, 01:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Urgh... disagree... i SO disagree...

If they <b>only</b> want money they wouldn't release all the tools, they wouldn't put so much effort into the modability of the engine.

If they <b>only</b> want money nothing would stop them from working somewhere else in the industry having a regular income, not having to worry about investors, pulling all nighters, having to worry about your own company (it's a huge risk to start your own company) it would overall be easier.

If they <b>only</b> want money they wouldn't do a NS2, yes NS is somewhat known around the HL1 community but there are better, easier and less creative ways to grab money faster instead of doing a sequel to a pretty hardcore game that had as much mass appeal as quantum physics.

If they <b>only</b> want money they could have gone to any of the big publishers to get massive founding and get their gameplay decissions dictated by marketing experts and giving up their creative freedom.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blind fanboy thinking

1. the tools are for the game, to make it more playable, like ns1 had.
    2. they just do it for the money, NS1 was released to test and create a community.
    You know ns2 was planed for source engine and they say to us " we use the money from "Zen of Sudoku" so people buy it and whats happend at the end?
    They say "ah no, we don't do it" its like "we want more money, so pay again and now we use our own engine"
    3. why they won't do ns2? they did it...they have now a community because of free ns1.
    4. lool...fanboy can you think real? they can't just go to some big publisher and if they do it, they don't get that big money they get now...you realy have to think about it again.
    i mean its NOTHING BAD create a game just for money, i mean we must have money for life but i can't understand these blind fanboy/kiddies who love companys for make money...

Valve for example isn't a Community loving company...they only think for the money, not for our people.
    If some people write stupid ###### like " oh yeah valve is so nice, they give us free updates, free games, i love them so much, i want have kids with them"...realy, wake up.

for example, the updates for TF2 are just for make money, because everytime after they release a content update, more people purchase the game.
    Be realistic!
    UWE isn't diffrent.
    You/we pay for the alpha/beta, last one is mostly free and released from big companys.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    What big money? We're just about covering our costs. We're doing this because we love games and are passionate about NS2.