NS Vets longest game ever played.

alex1galex1g Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15472Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What was the longest match you ever played?</div>I remember I played a match that lasted 6 hours on NS_Nothing map. Damn aliens kept making a comeback, wow a match. We ended up winning. I wanted to quit after around 4 hours but didn't want to let my team mates down. I can't remember what version it was but it was way before they had Conquest setup.

Comments

• DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    No idea how long the longest match lasted, but it was definitely on ns_nothing, loved that map.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    I think it was close to four hours and thirty minutes on ns_eclipse. There have actually been several matches of that length on ns_nothing and ns_hera as well, but I remember the one on eclipse the best.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't remember the time it took to eat the marines, don't remember which map it was, but damn was I shocked when I noticed I was well over my estimated bed time to get a good night of sleep.
    Next day I fell asleep at my apprenticeship right under the eyes of my teacher, he was talking for hours on end already and took it as cue to close the lesson already.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    I remember going to bed and waking up the next morning with the same game going on... years ago.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Haven't the foggiest, don't really remember any long matches, I would probably leave if I ever got into one, don't really find protracted repetitive games on the same map for ages very much fun.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    2 Hours on ns_veil. Plus it was a LAN party.
  • The_Real_QuasarThe_Real_Quasar Has the I.Q. of 12,000 P.E. Teachers Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9998Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780874:date=Jul 20 2010, 12:48 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 20 2010, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haven't the foggiest, don't really remember any long matches, I would probably leave if I ever got into one, don't really find protracted repetitive games on the same map for ages very much fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not really like that with NS, though... It's far more tactical, and so immersive you don't notice you've just spent four hours fighting the same battle.

I don't remember any specific match lengths, but I remember being incredibly disappointed whenever a game lasted only half an hour or so. I'm sure I too part in a few five or six hour epics, fighitng over classics like Nothing and Bast. Tanith was always my favourite, though.

Ahh, nostalgia. long games of NS will always be some of my favourite gaming memories.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780882:date=Jul 20 2010, 01:33 AM:name=The_Real_Quasar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Real_Quasar @ Jul 20 2010, 01:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not really like that with NS, though... It's far more tactical, and so immersive you don't notice you've just spent four hours fighting the same battle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Given that 45 minute games rapidly became boring after about 15 minutes of running around in heavy armor and jetpacks trying to besiege hives, I would imagine that 2 hours plus would be torture.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1780886:date=Jul 19 2010, 08:39 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 19 2010, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Given that 45 minute games rapidly became boring after about 15 minutes of running around in heavy armor and jetpacks trying to besiege hives, I would imagine that 2 hours plus would be torture.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not like you may think, in 3.0 you know which team is going to win after the first 5 minutes, in older versions the game was not decided until the last minute. Saw one game where aliens lost all their hives but one gorge was able to get away to build a new one, kept it alive just love enough to finish building and the team came back to win the game.
    I played since about version 1, the game still gets dull once you have spent about 10-15 minutes at full tech, at that point you may as well start over as the game has effectively played out all it has to offer as far as I am concerned. At max tech marines only progress with sieges, while aliens only progress with large numbers of fades/onoses. There isn't really much thought involved and not a lot of real combat as marines, given that to win you avoid attacking hives and colonised rooms directly and instead just drop siege guns outside and wait until everything inside is destroyed.

NS really doesn't offer much combat at all in the later stages, it's only really in the early points that you see aliens and marines really fighting each other, once you get HMGs the skulk/lerk vs marine mechanics go out the window, and once you get fades all the basic guns become useless. The game basically stops being much fun at that point because it loses all structure, fights barely resemble fights because fades move so fast and onoses have so much HP, you either spend your time shooting at things flashing across the screen or flying away at full speed to avoid the onos, it's just chaos.

Basically it isn't really much fun compared to the early game which actually makes sense, you watch for aliens and shoot them when they show up, whereas aliens try to avoid being seen and get close without getting shot.
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    i think the longest game i've played was ~7 hours
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    2 hours I think. As aliens, we actually came back and won from having zero hives. We had lamed up so many OCs that the marines couldn't get into the hive to kill it before it went up, and they just plain sucked.
  • meh`meh` Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66691Members
    Longest game I've played was around 3.5 hours on ns_nothing. We had two hives(sc and mc chambers) they had cargo locked down and the turning point came when they got into red room and were sieging our hive, it wasn't going down because we had like 6 gorges on it but then, to get dcs and allow us to win the game, we let it go down and then put it back up. Epic game to say the least.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    @Chris0132
    - If you played since the first version.. you'd know that 2 hr games were the norm back then.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    4 hours on an ns map in pre-2.0 took ages. Back then every game was 2-4 hours, good times.. ahhh..
  • alex1galex1g Join Date: 2003-04-14 Member: 15472Members
    I gotta tell ya, I can remember the really long games from back in the day but can't remember any of the Conquest games. I mean our teams really had to focus on winning. Now a days it's almost like playing a death match game. Today's games not as satisfying as the early version games. I mean you felt like your team really accomplished something.. if you won that is.

And yeah Meh I remember that red room area. Man it's been forever since I've been in the red room.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    3 hours or more on ns_hera. Probably closer to 5 but really when you're into a good NS match yea time goes out the window. In the right server you don't even have time to think about peeing let alone making a sandwich. The NS diet. Go hours without eating and then stuff with bacon wrapped twinkies
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Longest pub game for me: 3 1/2hours. Waayyy back in the day.

Longest competitive match, I think was about 4 hours, CAL finals exi vs some team. i forget who we were playing against, probobly terror.. dn or pandas or something I can't remember for the life of me. Oh and this is both sides.
  • DemiguiseDemiguise Marks Servers Reg Join Date: 2004-01-19 Member: 25462Members
    Hrm. I think about 4-5 hours, sadly I've forgotten all the maps names and such. Been too long since I fired my LMG :<
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    Back when we would play in the computer lab me and zerwalter had a handful of 4-6 hour games in the 1.04 era
  • WirheWirhe Join Date: 2003-06-22 Member: 17610Members
    edited July 2010
    Hours and hours. The longest one would be the one that never ended, when neither side could really make that final push.

Such rounds became impossible after v3. Too much fragging, not enough strategy.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    Hmm 2,5 hours on nancy?
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    ns_nothing sucked up a fair few hours for me too. Long before electric RTs came in :)
    I remember a three hour round on bast.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    210 Mins. Good old classic times <3
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    About 7 hours I was the com the entire time.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    if think it was about 5 hours, epic game
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    Last resort turret farming vs walls of lame, the sieges won in the end from the DC's. I think it lasted for about 3-4 hours...

ns_nancy, noname was the last alien battleground

Like that Ns much more then the current on, a mix of the two would be awesome... Oh wait NS2 :P
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Back in 1.04 we had tons of super long games. Those were good times.

I think I had one 6 and a half hour game on Lunix. Sighappy.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I did a 5 hour stint once, can't remember what map it was but it was a huge stale mate with everyone teched up. Epic game, we'd take a hive, then the aliens would rush our capped hive and take that one, rinse and repeat.

great game, one of the best i have played.