Any idea of download size?

The_Real_QuasarThe_Real_Quasar Has the I.Q. of 12,000 P.E. Teachers Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9998Members
So I'm UK based, and currently using a cheap broadband connection, with a measly 10gb/month download limit. Do we have any idea how large the download for the alpha's going to be on the 26th? I'd rather not have to wait for August to roll around. I already have the engine test, so I assume I'll get to skip some of the download?

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    [-----------------------------]

(not to scale)
  • BenaiahBenaiah Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22517Members
    as i have nothing to do with development my guess is as good as yours.
    However in the spirit of guess the number of jellybeans in the jar.
    I'm guessing 2.1 Gbs.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I assume that the NS2 engine test and the NS2 Alpha will be completely different entities as far as Steam is concerned. I'm not sure if they'll be able to set up their Steam distribution to recycle the ns2 engine test files client side, although I've never released a game on Steam :)
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    edited July 2010
    Are more Editor art assets coming with the alpha?
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1780977:date=Jul 20 2010, 03:02 AM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ Jul 20 2010, 03:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780977"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are more Editor art assets coming with the alpha?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt this will be answered officially by the devs, but I'm sure there will be updated assets that are missing textures and what not. Some of the dev screenshots include fully textured models that are missing textures in Spark currently, so it'd be safe to assume to some capacity yeah.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    it's been a while since spark has been updated so i'd expect them to do that along with the alpha.

As for alpha size i'd guess atleast double the engine test, so a solid 3gb. Compared to the engine test they'll be adding maps, props for the maps, many models with tons of animations and their textures, a huge number of sounds (simple because so very little are in now), probably a few more map textures, and that's just for alpha. more will get added/changed in patches following alpha release.

Not that alpha is that big but the engine test is stripped down :p The game will probably end up beeing around 5gb, pretty normal these days (BC2 says 6,57gb, SC2 will be humongous and my WoW dir is still 18,8gb, while lacking a few patches).
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    edited July 2010
    whatever the size may be PLEASE let us pre-load it before the 26th to avoid bottlenecking...

i attempted to download that new free valve game last night... lets just say i spent more time trying to get the download started then actually downloading.
    <!--quoteo(post=1781026:date=Jul 20 2010, 08:18 AM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Jul 20 2010, 08:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->whatever the size may be PLEASE let us pre-load it before the 26th to avoid bottlenecking...

i attempted to download that new free valve game last night... lets just say i spent more time trying to get the download started then actually downloading.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hahah, completely different situations. Alien Swarm was free so all of Steam was downloading it. The alpha is going to be far less of a hit on the Steam servers than normal game sales traffic.
  • The_Real_QuasarThe_Real_Quasar Has the I.Q. of 12,000 P.E. Teachers Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9998Members
    I've always found the same problem with choked downloads when pre-loading something, as everyone tries to do THAT at the same time instead.

Maybe the best solution would be staggered pre-loads? It's not an issue for the NS2 Alpha, but further down the line I would imagine it will be.
  • Ph33rSn1p4zPh33rSn1p4z Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72544Members
    For me the download was 1.5GB. I downloaded it in around... 4 - 6 hours.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780906:date=Jul 19 2010, 09:53 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 19 2010, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[-----------------------------]

(not to scale)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    troll
  • The_Real_QuasarThe_Real_Quasar Has the I.Q. of 12,000 P.E. Teachers Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9998Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781106:date=Jul 20 2010, 07:40 PM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Jul 20 2010, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->troll<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's terribly sad how any attempt at humour on the internet is now simply labelled as trolling.

To be honest, I think someone that's been on the NS forums for nearly as long as there have <i>been</i> NS forums has the right to say whatever the hell they like on here, without being insulted by whoever you might be.

... Wow, I surprised myself with that one. Might go have a sit down.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780981:date=Jul 20 2010, 04:27 AM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 20 2010, 04:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I doubt this will be answered officially by the devs, but I'm sure there will be updated assets that are missing textures and what not. Some of the dev screenshots include fully textured models that are missing textures in Spark currently, so it'd be safe to assume to some capacity yeah.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's good. I really hope so.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Currently the alpha is around 2.3 GB. This will be an update from the current build on Steam, so you'll only need to download the new or changed files. We did make a lot of changes since the last release on Steam, so chances are most of this will need to be downloaded.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781129:date=Jul 20 2010, 03:47 PM:name=The_Real_Quasar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Real_Quasar @ Jul 20 2010, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's terribly sad how any attempt at humour on the internet is now simply labelled as trolling.

To be honest, I think someone that's been on the NS forums for nearly as long as there have <i>been</i> NS forums has the right to say whatever the hell they like on here, without being insulted by whoever you might be.

... Wow, I surprised myself with that one. Might go have a sit down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps my ironymeter is broken.

In any case, if some bored vet is harassing a new comer who is looking for answers, they deserved to be called out by their peers. If the person I called a troll wants to say "No, you're wrong", I'll formally apologize no questions asked. Otherwise, I'll assume the worst because this is the internet. People are most probably neutral, mean, or nice in descending order of likelihood.

<!--quoteo(post=1781177:date=Jul 20 2010, 06:11 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jul 20 2010, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781177"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently the alpha is around 2.3 GB. This will be an update from the current build on Steam, so you'll only need to download the new or changed files. We did make a lot of changes since the last release on Steam, so chances are most of this will need to be downloaded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's this?! A development team who responds to individual questions on the forums?! They need take remedial classes in Soulless Game Development pronto. Otherwise the accusations of vaporware will be unfounded! By the hammer of thor!
    Thanks. I might risk the over-use charge, NS2 being obviously worth such things.
  • SameoSameo Join Date: 2010-01-22 Member: 70260Members
    be careful

overcharges can be nasty business (10$ - 25$ per gb)
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    Unlimited cable here :D

So if the content servers go full speed for me (haha), it should be a 15min download!
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1781182:date=Jul 20 2010, 05:20 PM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Jul 20 2010, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps my ironymeter is broken.

In any case, if some bored vet is harassing a new comer who is looking for answers, they deserved to be called out by their peers. If the person I called a troll wants to say "No, you're wrong", I'll formally apologize no questions asked. Otherwise, I'll assume the worst because this is the internet. People are most probably neutral, mean, or nice in descending order of likelihood.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    troll

(The_Real_Quasar is not "a new comer who is looking for answers." He's been here forever. I'm just making a joke. Chill out.)