Suggestion: Weapon unlocks/different skins unlocked in the game?

Blitz1o1Blitz1o1 Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58114Members
Hey guys,

Was thinking of what Flayra said about possibility being able to pick your armor type in the armory. I was wondering if we could get some type of different skins or even a system that would allow us to discount both the alien commanders/marine commands based on some kind of achievement system) Like for example if you have the 100 wins on marine side achievement the you dmg is increased by 1% or something like that...

Just tossing out ideas.

What do you think?

Don

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please no. I don't want to achievement farm to get an edge in matches.
  • Blitz1o1Blitz1o1 Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58114Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778939:date=Jul 15 2010, 01:21 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 15 2010, 01:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please no. I don't want to achievement farm to get an edge in matches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok what about skins then?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1778940:date=Jul 14 2010, 08:22 PM:name=Blitz1o1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blitz1o1 @ Jul 14 2010, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok what about skins then?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Map makers should get a cool cosmetic thing. Like a visor color change.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    I like cosmetic options, but not for release - lets get a fully functional game first. Then go from there.

I hate having to grind at match based games for features. BFBC2 is like this and I really didn't enjoy that part of it. The game is pretty good once you get past it, but a few of my more casual friends who bought it burned out on that initial 15-25 hour investment to get the reasonably good options.

An RPG or MMO is a different story, here it's a lot of singleplayer development, and really it's mostly just a steadily accelerating scheme of equally balanced encounters based on a current estimated strength.

The way I think of it is more formal... like a novel vs chessmatch.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    If you bought KillingFloor like I did over the STEAM Summer Sale, you will see how badly that game is setup for unlocks.

I say if they want to add more armor options, don't require any special actions on the players part. Free updated content for everyone.

Only when they decide to add in a 6th Alien Class, and a new unique Armor like the JP/HEXO for the Marines, is where they get into realeasing a $15-30 expansion pack.

=)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778994:date=Jul 14 2010, 08:42 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Jul 14 2010, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you bought KillingFloor like I did over the STEAM Summer Sale, you will see how badly that game is setup for unlocks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

200 more headshots for my next level!!!!
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779034:date=Jul 15 2010, 07:42 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 15 2010, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->200 more headshots for my next level!!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Played it once and then downloaded the Steam Achievement Manager to dodge that amazing pile of stupid.

Modern Warfare is trying as hard as possible to ruin the FPS genre.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Achievement systems are a cheap means of keeping brain dead users playing your game, stat altering achievement systems should go die in a fire.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Along their developers.

Say "NO" to this virtual stupidity.
    Say "NO" to grinding unlocks and wasting time and electricity on this.
  • BenaiahBenaiah Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22517Members
    Cosmetic achievements only.
    I dont want to have to farm for 1000 headshots to get a gun or new acheivements.
    NS is like SC2. You have the full toolset available fromt the start.
    Easy to learn, difficult to master.
  • DemiguiseDemiguise Marks Servers Reg Join Date: 2004-01-19 Member: 25462Members
    I'm a big, massive no to the idea of achievement unlocks or special weapons. Cosmetic weapons should be able to be done through player-side as it was in NS1 and not done through the developers. It puts undue workload on them trying to create a whole range of new weapons and balance them accordingly.

I imagine there will be model/texture packs coming out soon to fill this gap but for the love of all that is good, no weapon unlocks. Even cosmetic ones are going to be frustrating as people will hold out for a specific achievement (Knife an Onos or 100 Gorge kills), just to get that special "Yellow Gorge paint" or "Onos horn decal". Not only that but these forums will be inundated with people crying about hard achievements to get this or that, trolling the users and developers until things get changed. It happens way too often.

TF2 is a good example of this; servers packed with engineers/spies/soldiers/whateverthelatestunlockis, The awesome soldier debacle, the golden wrench, HATS <- Rage.

To reiterate: Customisation should be player-side and community driven, not server-side and developer driven.
  • DestrockDestrock Join Date: 2005-01-14 Member: 35500Members
    im not for the gun or armor unlock but im for the upgrade bonus.

i like when a game got achievements for thanking the older players AND ppl who are doing the most teamwork.

ppl who are killing the most enemy should have their weapon damage upgradeed by 1 % each 1000 kill (max 5 %)
    ppl who are always diying should have their armor upgraded by 1 % lol.
    ppl who run like 500 km (a lot) should run faster for 1 %...
    ppl who destroy a lot of structure should have something special like maybe more hp (2 or 3 hp/lv)
    ppl who always com should have a 0.5 sec reduce cooldown on all structure building time

each lv should take like 30 hour of play. its not fun if we lv up each 5 min...

to the end after 2 year or 3 a guys almost max lv will have a couple of minor bonuses.it will not be that "unfair for noob". seriously if some1 play from the alpha and still 2,3 or 4 year after, he deserve some advantages... some1 who play non stop is good for the community because for all game after 2 or 3 years, there is almost no server to play on... so if we keep our old player its good.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    No, no, no.
    Reason? Balancing FFS!
    Numbers are carefully balanced out, if one team has all running upgrades, what do you expect the other team to do?
    They cant do anything as the enemy is literally all over the place in an instant!
    5 % is not that much. the noob team will just learn the game faster =)l its easy to copy a good players when we are noob
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780406:date=Jul 19 2010, 01:08 AM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Jul 19 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im not for the gun or armor unlock but im for the upgrade bonus.

i like when a game got achievements for thanking the older players AND ppl who are doing the most teamwork.

ppl who are killing the most enemy should have their weapon damage upgradeed by 1 % each 1000 kill (max 5 %)
    ppl who are always diying should have their armor upgraded by 1 % lol.
    ppl who run like 500 km (a lot) should run faster for 1 %...
    ppl who destroy a lot of structure should have something special like maybe more hp (2 or 3 hp/lv)
    ppl who always com should have a 0.5 sec reduce cooldown on all structure building time

each lv should take like 30 hour of play. its not fun if we lv up each 5 min...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ns isnt an arcade shooter. achievements are lame anyway

<!--quoteo(post=1780406:date=Jul 19 2010, 01:08 AM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Jul 19 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->to the end after 2 year or 3 a guys almost max lv will have a couple of minor bonuses.it will not be that "unfair for noob". seriously if some1 play from the alpha and still 2,3 or 4 year after, he deserve some advantages... some1 who play non stop is good for the community because for all game after 2 or 3 years, there is almost no server to play on... so if we keep our old player its good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    he will already have an advantage if he's played for 4 years, its called skill and experience.
    maybe but if u play 3 or 4 year on ANY fps u got skill and experience on other fps too... so why will a play ns2 in 4 year instead of call of duty 8 ?
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780606:date=Jul 19 2010, 01:32 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Jul 19 2010, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5 % is not that much. the noob team will just learn the game faster =)l its easy to copy a good players when we are noob<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    the noob team will learn the same without players having a boost. you wouldnt even know who has the boost when you try to copy someone
  • DemiguiseDemiguise Marks Servers Reg Join Date: 2004-01-19 Member: 25462Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780614:date=Jul 18 2010, 11:45 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Jul 18 2010, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe but if u play 3 or 4 year on ANY fps u got skill and experience on other fps too... so why will a play ns2 in 4 year instead of call of duty 8 ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because you like the community? Because it's a completely different game to CoD 46? I can't list your reasons for liking a game any more than you can list mine.

The 5% is so negligible that's it's pointless to have it and be made to balance around it. New people wouldn't learn any faster then they are already capable of, some are fast learners and others aren't. Practising will get the player more valuable experience than any arbitrary bonus they get from just playing the game. It's more of a cheap tactic to get people to play the game than a tactic to make them enjoy it.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1780614:date=Jul 18 2010, 11:45 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Jul 18 2010, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe but if u play 3 or 4 year on ANY fps u got skill and experience on other fps too... so why will a play ns2 in 4 year instead of call of duty 8 ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So without achievements you will stop playing NS2?

I think I can live with that compromise.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    -1 for weapon and armour unlock.
  • mXedmXed Join Date: 2007-09-12 Member: 62260Members
    edited July 2010
    I don't think permanent stat boosts are a good idea since it will give achivement farmers an edge, and it adds no dynamic to the gameplay.
    NS has always been build around the players skills as a way to add dynamics.

I havn't played NS for some time so i don't remember if the commander is able to cast buffs on to the players.
    But charlie did mention that the commander would be able to cast buffs on the players in NS2.

Im there by not saying achivements are a bad idea, i always get a smile on when i pop an achivement, but ive never farmed them.
    To me they simply add that "you have collected a coin" feeling, a smal feeling of reward, even though it doesn't change the game.
    I think this could help new players, and COD kids with an attention span of 10 seks, to keep playing for a little longer and maybe even learn the game.
    In my opinion, this was the problem with NS, but also the pro, that the game was too difficult to get into. But this also ment that the game was extremely competetive.
    in 3 or 4 year ns2 will be out of date graphically and we gonna have a lot of difficulties finding an us east server so except something interesting more than a "community" i will change game...
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    Maybe people will take this as offensive, but I have my opinion and there are enough reasons listed in this thread why I think so, without repeating everyone like a parrot.

so, here it is, short and sweet, putting my answer to these suggestions in one glorious video clip.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ</a>

again, please don't be offended, this is just my opinion on the implementation of achievements and permanent boosts or unlockables ala BF.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    I'm not going to say no to achievements completely but I will say NO to <u>any</u> achievements that make you more powerful in anyway. RPG elements don't belong and will bring far worse behavior.

I've witnessed how in APB once the fun wears off some of the normal game play everyone turns the game into this grind to become more powerful, getting the best weapons and upgrades.

Everyone must stay on a level playing field.
    hahahahahah darktimes i put that vid in my bookmark
    <!--quoteo(post=1780606:date=Jul 19 2010, 05:32 AM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Jul 19 2010, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the noob team will just learn the game faster =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I take that as irony, as the only thing your achieve through these changes to the game balance is that they throw their copy faster in the bin.
    bah its good too lol no noob in pub :P
    No noobs, no youth, no progress.
  • morbidarmorbidar Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72660Members
    No achievements! That is all games are doing now days... I wouldn't mind a little customization of sorts with maybe skin colors but then all the people who pre ordered I guess wouldn't look any different.. ;)
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781852:date=Jul 22 2010, 06:10 PM:name=morbidar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (morbidar @ Jul 22 2010, 06:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No achievements! That is all games are doing now days... I wouldn't mind a little customization of sorts with maybe skin colors but then all the people who pre ordered I guess wouldn't look any different.. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Achievements are just pats on the back for doing something and don't do anything in game (aside from maybe notifications that we can disable), it's unlocking that we're discussing. Achieving something is different from receiving a locked item, and most of us are against unlocks that affect gameplay if that's what you mean.